1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEVER MICHELIN AGAIN. Garbage tires.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Dacon, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Mar 15, 2020 at 5:36 AM
    BlackGT99

BlackGT99 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Vehicle:
    2019 VooDoo Blue Tacoma TRD Pro
    Definitely premature tire wear caused by mis alignment and or inconsistent tire rotations.

bassmusic likes this.
  2. Mar 15, 2020 at 5:36 AM
    Tiedie

Tiedie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    WFOY
    Vehicle:
    09 4X4 V6
    Katzkin, Dobinsons full suspension. Redlinegoods console cover and door panel arm rests, Double USB charger in dash installed, Ballistic Jesters 16x8. BlackVue DR 590 Dash Cam
    Ok we will look at SWIFT 1st. (Sure Wished I Finished Training). or (Swing Wide If Followed by Trailer).And in my experiance women drivers Are some of the most aggressive drivers out there.
    Good luck with your tire choice.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2020
    jmneill[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 15, 2020 at 5:46 AM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    Pilots are soft treadwear sports car / street class autocross tires.

And they would have great grip to juke a Juke. Which it looks like someone has been doing. Not buying the 'she's a girl' excuse. Young female insurance rates have risen to the level of young male rates for a reason. Risk. She may be a saintly driver. Or not.

Anyway, 42k on a 45k mileage warranty. So you consumed about 93% of the tread wear.

Having experience with the cheapo yoko tells me you'll do well to make 75%.

BTW, that high tread wear number / mileage, on any brand tire, means it has a harder compound rubber to make it last longer. But it also has less grip, forever, both dry and wet.

The compound on tires begins to deteriorate around 2-3 years, and is pretty shot at 4-5 yrs. So the tires need changing for safe grip, regardless of mileage or tread depth remaining. Picking a tire that should be worn down, based on the vehicles mileage use, in about 3 years, is a way to maximize your tire $.

Tacosail and jon_elc like this.
  4. Mar 15, 2020 at 12:20 PM
    Dacon

Dacon [OP] 2017 Tacoma TRD PRO Quikrete

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Gilbert, Arizona.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO DCSB. DOP 02.20.2017
    TRD PRO Cement 2017 TRD CAI and AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter Camburg KINETIK Series Billet UCA Icon LCA skid plates Icon Coilover extended travel shocks with 700# springs Icon 2" rear shocks Icon RXT leaf springs full pack (new rims and tires soon)
    Daylight came and pictures available as promised. Not sure is the alignment, although FRONT RIGHT tire has the most wear. Car tracks straight. Will take the pictures to the alignment shop that did the alignment on all our vehicles.

Front Right
    FR.jpg

Front Left
    FL.jpg

Rear Right
    RR.jpg

Rear Left
    RL.jpg

grubburg likes this.
  5. Mar 15, 2020 at 2:27 PM
    Clearwater Bill

Clearwater Bill Never answer an anonymous letter

Member:
    First Name:
    Billy
    Largo Florida
    Vehicle:
    '13 5 lug AC w/convenience package
    A few OE parts from fancy trucks
    The wear on the RF is indicative of hard cornering to the left. If you've ever run a skid pad, you'll know it's easier to turn hard to the left (driver side) and and stay tight to the cones than turning to the right. Has to do with vision and body roll.

Of course the same is true on cornering on the street. Drivers typically feel more sure of themselves turning left than right.

Unfortunately as a teen dear old dad pointed out the aggressiveness of my driving of mom's sedan with similar, though not as far gone, tire wear. Not from being on a skidpad, on the street.

The wear of the other tires also indicates lack of rotations.

There *may* be an alignment problem, but based on those photos I'd lean towards not.

6. Mar 15, 2020 at 2:31 PM
    BalutTaco

BalutTaco Moja_Przygoda

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Limo Trail Edition -> 2022 Magnetic Grey OR
    Bird nest engine bay.
    "bad luck" 2x [​IMG]

7. Mar 15, 2020 at 5:16 PM
    Inoculum

Inoculum Well-Grown Member

Member:
    Parts Unknown
    Vehicle:
    16’ Limited
    Post pictures of the date codes on all the tires.

b_r_o likes this.
  8. Mar 15, 2020 at 7:03 PM
    Itchyfeet

Itchyfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    No point, the wear on the front tires is greater than the rear which means they weren't rotated for a long time.

9. Mar 15, 2020 at 7:10 PM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    Ding ding ding! But we’ll blame the tires and Michelin.

bassmusic likes this.
  10. Mar 16, 2020 at 3:05 AM
    gunnar#1

gunnar#1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sam
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4x4
    Silver xtra-cab,old man emu 3 inch lift, 2016 wheels, arb front bumper, receiver hitch, Automatic transmission cooler, tundra front calipers, new frame.
    Yea, I am in Arizona too, and Michelins have hot weather issues. I take care of my daughters car too so I get it. I dont buy her tires though, I just change the oil and fix little stuff on a 2008 Toyota Matrix at 190,000 miles and other than maitinance nothing over $50 has ever broke, and I bought that car crashed for $8000 in 2009 with 20,000 miles. Raced motorcycles a long time ago and Michelins would just melt off in this heat, 30 year plus motorcycle mechanic said the same thing about the street motorcycle tires. Sold a commercial tire guy a house 5 years ago and he said the same thing too Michelins dont do well in the heat. After hunting around I landed on Michelin t63's on my KLR and had no problem (made in Thailand) And yes the inside her car is filthy- girls are nasty what can I say. For what its worth the commercial guy recommended Hercules tires and an independent tire distributor told me he never had problems with Uniroyal tires. I bought tires for the wife mini van and got some Chinese brand that was very well reviewed on the Walmart swebsite, mount balance, road hazard for under $300 and they have 40000 miles with no problems.

11. Mar 16, 2020 at 8:15 AM
    Dacon

Dacon [OP] 2017 Tacoma TRD PRO Quikrete

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Gilbert, Arizona.
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO DCSB. DOP 02.20.2017
    TRD PRO Cement 2017 TRD CAI and AFE Magnum Flow Dry Air Filter Camburg KINETIK Series Billet UCA Icon LCA skid plates Icon Coilover extended travel shocks with 700# springs Icon 2" rear shocks Icon RXT leaf springs full pack (new rims and tires soon)
    Is it necessary to do an alignment after the new tires are installed?

12. Mar 16, 2020 at 8:26 AM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    Funny cause everyone I know with high performance cars only run pilot super sports and say they are the best, but I guess they are all wrong, shit I better go tell them cause some guy with a juke is mad he only got 42k out of a set of as3s lol

CrippledHo likes this.
  13. Mar 16, 2020 at 9:13 AM
    rtzx9r

rtzx9r Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bueller
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport
    LS1 swap with nitros.
    I have Michelin Pilots on my S2000. I'm damn lucky to get 12,000 a set. However, they are not rotated (can't - staggered setup) and they are designed to be sticky and not last long. They are better than the previous sets of Bridgestones I have run.

As for alignments - you should get an alignment only after putting new tires on the car, and only really if you have unequal wear on the tires. If your tires are wearing evenly no need to do the alignment.

Sammy4x4Taco, jon_elc and CrippledHo like this.
  14. Mar 16, 2020 at 9:26 AM
    BarcelonaTom67

BarcelonaTom67 Lost in Translation....

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Laurel County, Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2017 Barcelona Red Off-Road DCSB M/T
    While I can't shed any light on the OP's specific issue, I can share my own experience with a couple sets of Michelin tires.

I had a 2001 Dodge Cummins 4x4 that came from the factory with Michelin LT M/S tires. After 9 years, and 108K miles, I replaced them shortly before going on an Elk hunt in Colorado. Not because they were worn, they still had close to 1/2 the tread life left, but the sidealls were showing what I thought were a lot of cracks from either age, stress, or "dry rot" (if there is such a thing in tires). I didn't want the tires to blow out due to having my truck fully loaded down for the trip, and also knowing the local roads around the camp sites were extremely rocky and rough.

My wife has a 1998 Rav4 that she bought new, it has some model of Michelin tires. I believe they may well be the original tires.... car has 142K miles on it. Tires still have a good bit of tread, but they are seriously old and should likely be replaced soon anyway.

I would buy Michelin tires again without hesitation, if they made a tread pattern that I liked for my Tacoma (they don't).

Sammy4x4Taco likes this.
  15. Mar 16, 2020 at 9:36 AM
    xMaverickx

xMaverickx Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Limited V6 4X4 DCLB
    winner winner chicken dinner, the tires on my car look like this.. why? Because I bought that car to slam around corner (and save fuel from not driving truck), nothing wrong with the tires... it’s your kid.

tacoma16 and jon_elc like this.
  16. Mar 16, 2020 at 9:40 AM
    BORNWILDGUY

BORNWILDGUY Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 TACOMA TRD SPORT DCLB LIFTED W KDMAX-PRO XT TUNE
    FULLY LOADED WITH THE TECH PACKAGE, LEATHER, JBL, LED HEADLIGHTS, MOONROOF, EXTANG FULL TILT COVER, NFAB SIDE STEPS, OEM ROOF RACK, TRD PRO TAILS, WHITE RAPTOR LIGHTS, 15% TINT ALL THE WAY AROUND, BILSTEIN 6112'S W 650# SPRINGS AND 1/4 SPACER, ICON LEAF SPRINGS W 5125 REAR SHOCKS, 18 x 9 -12 Weld Racing Ledge 6 wheels w 275/65r18 Toyo AT III tires
    I get my alignment rechecked every 5k on my vehicles when I do my oil change and rotate my tires. If you have a vehicle that you are going to keep for awhile just get a lifetime alignment.

When looking at tires this might help you pick a more suitable tire for your conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVOHirZnDps

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  17. Mar 16, 2020 at 9:51 AM
    Empty_Lord

Empty_Lord Toyotaholic

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Northwest Indiana/Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    66 Mercedes, 93 mr2, 95,98,01,02 Tacomas, 05 Tundra + others
    Too many trucks and mods to list.. check builds
    It’s a good idea to get it checked at least. We tend to sell alignments with tire purchases. 85% of the cars are out of spec toe wise.

(we have a lot of pot holes though)

18. Mar 16, 2020 at 11:49 AM
    CrippledHo

CrippledHo I'm calling about your car's extended warranty

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Biggest Little Dumpster
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB Diet Coke
    Dents and a rattle can
    I'm gonna have to agree, especially with the wear difference of front to rear. I still remember trying to explain how I only got 15k out of performance tires (don't remember brand, that about 8 years ago). Unless front/rears are different sizes, you absolutely have to rotate, otherwise that kind of wear happens...plus cornering hard.

19. Mar 16, 2020 at 12:11 PM
    kodiakisland

kodiakisland Well-Known Member

Member:
    NW Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    12 AC 4x4 2.7L 5MT
    5100s/1.6in eibachs, wheelers AAL, OME N182 rear shocks, 4.56s, Detroit truetrac, 255/75/17, SOSConcepts sliders
    Pretty obvious from the picture the tire is not to blame. Alignment and rotation schedule are most likely, although some cars just eat tires. Sold a BMW because it needed new tires every 25K regardless of what you put on it.

My wife drives more than 40K miles a year. The only tire I will put on her vehicles are Michelins. She gets 50-60K out of them with absolute even wear, which speaks for the tire and the vehicle. Over the last ten years I've bought a lot of Michelins and have never seen a single tire with premature wear.

As far as my daughter's car goes, I try not to put too much blame in what I find on it. I've ridden with her enough to not make any judgments on the car.

20. Mar 20, 2020 at 5:01 PM
    Marshall R

Marshall R Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marshall
    Vehicle:
    07 White TRD double cab
    none
    Tire manufacturers have to make choices. The tires designed for sporty cars have a softer rubber compound to making them real grippy on the road. They really help on wet roads. But they don't last nearly as long as conventional tires. I've heard of some of these tires wearing out in 20,000 miles or less.

They make other tires using a harder rubber compound that will last a LOOOONG time, but you give up some of the sporty handling characteristics. Lots of guys pushing 100,000 miles on some Michelins. The tires on your daughters car seem to be somewhat of a compromise.

The wear on 3 of them seems about right for 42,000 miles. One tire has been abused. Probably driven hard in cornering and not rotated often enough. Possibly run with too little air. I don't see an alignment problem, but it could be part of it.

Hooligans likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top