1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New '09 Taco Owner

Discussion in 'New Members' started by forsythfd922, Nov 28, 2011.

1. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:00 PM
    forsythfd922

forsythfd922 [OP] Where the hell did that come from...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Nfab Nerf Bars, WeatherTech Tri-Fold Hard Cover, 20% tint, TRD Pro Aftermarket Grill, TacomaBeast aftermarket head and tail lights, Raptor-style grille lights, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Air Raid Cold-Air Intake.
    Hey Toyota-World. Bought my 2009 Tacoma PreRunner, V6 4.0L back in April and loving it so far. Just had a few questions for the more experienced heads than me with the Toyota-Tech that's on these trucks.

1) Is there any way to get the advertised "21 mpg highway" (or better)? Seems the best I can do is 18 mpg, even with babying the gas pedal and keeping RPM's <2000-ish.

2) Anyone familiar with a radio feedback sound in the passenger side front floorboard when RPM's 1500-2000? Sounds like a bad ground kind of whine.

3) Is there anything I need to watch-out for in this truck that is habitual? I'm familiar with the tranny down-shift bump while sitting still, thought I got rear-ended the first couple times it happened....

4) Does anyone have any simple/easy/cool upgrades for a new Taco Owner? I've seen a couple threads I like, like the Back-up Cam mod to work in other than reverse, and bedlight mods (hookedontronics)....Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help, guys! (And girls)

2. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:01 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 all I wanted was a god dang picture of a hotdog...

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    some of this, a little of that
    Welcome to TW

3. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:06 PM
    Toyoghi

Toyoghi Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shoghi
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Double Cab
    Solid tri-fold Tonneau, Deezee Bed mat, Pop n Lock.
    Hey, welcome to TW

1) Just keep babying it, drive like a grandpa and there isn't much else you can do. Your MPG won't be the greatest this time of year, winter gas mileage always sucks. It should improve as the car gets driven more and more and it gets back into summer. However, 18MPG isn't bad at all for a V6.

2) Never heard it. There is an airbag rattle type of thing that people have complained about. You can search for their solutions. But basically people have taken apart their gloveboxes and tied back some wires to help the noise.

3) just drive it and don't worry too much about watching out for things. Take care of it, and you should be good. It's a Tacoma after all.

4) I would get the little things from wal-mart that prevent your tailgate from getting stolen, about a 10 dollar mod MAX, and if you don't have a pop-n-lock it's a good idea. I can't for the life of me remember what the parts are called. But I'm sure someone else can chime in on that. Also you can do the illuminated 4x4 switch... That can be useful.

Just my 2 cents, have fun with you Tacomaaa :)

4. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    kimo

kimo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Knuckle Head
    Kauai
    Vehicle:
    09 Super White TRD Sport DCLB 4X4!
    Welcome ....18mpg's not bad. Like its been stated, keepin your foot out of it helps. Some think changing your air cleaner will help. Im not sure?? Im getting 18-19 now without my AC on. Goodluck!

5. Nov 28, 2011 at 4:29 PM
    forsythfd922

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Nfab Nerf Bars, WeatherTech Tri-Fold Hard Cover, 20% tint, TRD Pro Aftermarket Grill, TacomaBeast aftermarket head and tail lights, Raptor-style grille lights, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Air Raid Cold-Air Intake.
    Thanks so far, guys! I've had the truck since April, been driving it everyday, at least every other day, and the mpg has been consistent, at least. Only worse if I haul butt everywhere. Thanks for reminding me about the tailgate theft intervention....I think I have a hose clamp that will work nicely.....Oh, and I just found the Mods & Tutorials Tab at the top of the page.

6. Nov 28, 2011 at 10:27 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
  7. Nov 29, 2011 at 5:41 AM
    RLDTACO

RLDTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Houston Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCLB PreRunner SR5
    Debadged,Tailgate theft mod,Extra D-rings,OEM bed mat,TRD exhaust, 5100 Billys@ 4 corners set@ 0 with Eibach springs, rear TSB springs.N-Fab tube Steps. TRD FJ SE wheels and Michelin LTX A/T 2's
    Welcome to TW! :wave:

8. Dec 3, 2011 at 12:33 PM
    4Wheelin4Banger

4Wheelin4Banger Supercharged Toyman

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ferntucky, NV Halfway between Reno & Falabama
    Vehicle:
    2011 4x4 Access Cab Supercharged Silver State Edition 245WHP
    3" OME lift 885s & Dakars riding on 33" KM2s
    [​IMG]Welcome to TW from Sparks, NV[​IMG]

9. Dec 4, 2011 at 10:47 AM
    forsythfd922

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Atlanta, Ga
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys. I had another thought the other day, it helped a little with the mpg on my 2002 RAM 1500 5.9L. Has anyone tried putting an electric push/pull fan in place of the Belt Driven one? They usually run appx. $130 at the off-road store. Just a thought, hadn't seen a mod on it yet...

Products Discussed in

To Top