1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"New" 1995 Taco

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ironbender, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Mar 19, 2011 at 9:58 PM
    ironbender

ironbender [OP] Member

Member:
    North of 60*
    Vehicle:
    New-to-me 1995 Taco
    Stock (as far as I know)
    Hi all! New to the forum, short time lurker.

Just bought a '95 Taco, 2.4L, 5 sp manual Trans, 158,00 miles. It runs great and drives great, no surprises there.

My question:

The truck did not come with an owner's manual, so I'm trying to find a thread or link to read it online. I don't think I want to print it at home.

I'd like to find maint sched, capacities and required fluid grades, etc.

What are the first things you'd reco to do to this as an unknown maint record rig? I have new engine oil and filter, and new wiper blades! [​IMG]

Seafoam through first tank of gas?

Change trans and diff fluids?

Rotate tires?

Clean and change radiator juice?

I'm not a mechanic, but not a total rube either.

Appreciate any advice and anticipate enjoying my Taco.

--Mike

2. Mar 20, 2011 at 12:01 AM
    Yamaha Dave

Yamaha Dave Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mike here are a few things I did when I bought my Tacoma used, especially knowing no prior history of the truck. Some are more important than others.

1.) Get the truck on a lift somewhere, whether it be your local in town mechanic shop or your local muffler shop and inspect the under carriage for frame rust, leaking transmission seals, rear axle seal, oil pain seal, inspect the ball joints, check for any leaking fluids near the steering rack assembly, or any fluid soaked areas. If you do this first and you encounter a trouble area you can address it immediately and put your money where it counts the most. If everything looks good move to #2.

2.) Oil change with filter. I'd recommend for your truck Mobile 1s Extended Mileage oil it's gotten great reviews. Filter either OEM or I like Purolator myself they make a nice product.

3.) Change radiator fluid. Do a complete flush from the radiator, overflow tank, and most importantly the engine block.

4.) Transmission flush and rear axle.

5.) New air filter

6.) Alignment

7.) Fresh battery

8.) New plugs and wires

9.) New fuel filter

10.) New tires (Not 100% necessary, but you don't know how old those tires are or where they've been).

Those are the most basic, but essential things to look for. I'm sure I've missed a few but that should keep you busy for awhile. Enjoy the truck!

3. Mar 20, 2011 at 6:20 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    in the forest
    Vehicle:
    Now: 12 T4R SR5 Then: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's front and rear, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners, CVT Mt. Bachelor RTT, custom bed rack & CBI sliders
  4. Mar 20, 2011 at 9:19 AM
    scocar

scocar Scouting the perimeter for weakness

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Back to square one after the 2001. So...
    Change the brake fluid too.

Is yours 2wd or 4wd? If 4, don't forget the transfer case and front diff oil, too. And grease all the U-joints/slip yoke.

Have you checked tou this stickied thread? Lots of good info here:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1s...y-how-thread-compiled-list-helpful-links.html

Check out toyotaownersonline.com. You can register, then enter your VIN and see if there are any Toyota dealer service records for it, an any recalls, etc. Also, I believe this will give you access to the recommended maint. schedule for your specific truck.

5. Mar 20, 2011 at 12:38 PM
    ironbender

ironbender [OP] Member

Member:
    North of 60*
    Vehicle:
    New-to-me 1995 Taco
    Stock (as far as I know)
    Awesome! That's exactly what I was hoping to get.

I've done the oil and filter...and wiper blades. :)

It's a 2wd. Seems to be in great shape. Had a mechanically-inclined friend look at it with me. No leaky fluids. It spent a lot of time in Utah so not much rust anywhere. I'll use the list and check off as I progress. Thanks!

6. Mar 20, 2011 at 12:49 PM
    ironbender

ironbender [OP] Member

Member:
    North of 60*
    Vehicle:
    New-to-me 1995 Taco
    Stock (as far as I know)
    I don't see myself doing (m)any mods to this, just keep it running forever. ;)

It is primarily an errand-mobile.

If I put good shocks all around can I pull a pop-up camper? I'd guess it's <1500 lbs. it would only be going ,100 miles per trip.

7. Mar 20, 2011 at 2:21 PM
    scocar

scocar Scouting the perimeter for weakness

Member:
    First Name:
    Dick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Back to square one after the 2001. So...
    I'm not sure, but that should be in the manual that I hope you can get from the Toyota site. I think with that weight and your truck, it might come down to whether you are on flats or heading into mountains. Alternatively, check out the towing forum, and someone who knows what they are talking about should be able to help.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/towing/

To Top