1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 2002 Owner with some basic questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ToyotaCoupe, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Sep 1, 2010 at 5:09 PM
    ToyotaCoupe

ToyotaCoupe [OP] Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 5sp 4cyl
    Line-X
    Hello All

Have a 2002 4x2 5sp 2.4 reg cab Tacoma with 100K. I have a few qa's.

1. I have a rear cat code. I am familiar with the OEM cat issues when swapping to after market cat's. I am trying to by-pass getting a overpriced oem cat, is there a fix for this. I did try to sleeve the O2 sensor but the O2 sensor bracket on the 2002 won't allow that.

2. What are the week points of this drive train? From what I have heard the 2.4 5sp combo is pretty bullet proof. I am at 100K no fluid leaks no blue or white smoke. Might need a fresh clutch soon but that's about it with the tranny. I have done plugs, fuel filter, PCV, cleaned MassAir Sensor, Sea Foam, oil change, new air filter. Pulley's, belts, hoses look good. Idle quality is good although a tad rough depending on the weather, no stalls, accelerates smoothly. AC is good, electric is good.

3. How to open this motor up a little? Like most oem ecu's the engine is running efficiently but may have allot more power available. My previous vehicle was a Subaru WRX with a Sti swap. A little contrast there LOL!

3. What is the biggest rear diff you can safely swap on this truck?

4. What is a good parts source(s). I will be scouring junk yards here in Georgia for things like sliding rear window, 40/60 bench seat, drive train parts etc.

Thanks

2. Sep 2, 2010 at 10:03 AM
    ToyotaCoupe

ToyotaCoupe [OP] Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Line-X
    Bump for any answers, Thanks!

3. Sep 3, 2010 at 8:41 AM
    WITOY

WITOY New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    milwaukee
    Regarding the motor..I would just go with a hiflow filter and
    possibly an exhaust mod. The engine will adjust to the
    flow. Ive never been one for changing stock setups chips, etc.
    But maybe someone has some better thoughts.

4. Sep 3, 2010 at 9:40 AM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 TRD V6 3.4L SR5 XCab Gold with Tan Int
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
  5. Sep 3, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    19,000 Original Miles, Factory Alarm, Factory Tow Package, Low Profile UWS Black Tool Box, 20ft. of Dynamat Xtreme, Pioneer Double Din DVD 3200BT, IPod Holder, Q Form Kick Panels, 3 Pairs of MB Quart component speakers, JL Audio Stealthbox, Alpine PDX-5 amp, PIAA Foglights, WeatherTech Floor Mats, Maxxis Big Horn Mud Tires 32 x 11.5 R x 15, Wet Okole Seat Cover for 60/40 Bench, 5100's Front & Rear, Wheeler's Single Leaf AAL, Warn 8,000 Winch, Warn Transformer Brush Guard, Stebel Nautilus Compact Horn
    Also, the simulator may help you with your rough idle and a few extra hp.

What color is your seats? I have a 60/40 bench in my truck and have thought about buying bucket seats before.

6. Sep 3, 2010 at 10:23 PM
    ToyotaCoupe

ToyotaCoupe [OP] Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Line-X
    Thanks I will try this. definitely cheaper than a cat! My seats are tanish tweed/ interior is tan and light brown. an exact match is not necessary pm me if your interested in letting your 60/40 go!

7. Sep 3, 2010 at 10:50 PM
    ffr3064k

ffr3064k Active Member

Member:
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab debadged
    3 Inch lift, 32 x 11.50 Mudders, DVD, Headrest Monitors, Navigation, Sirius Radio, Subwoofers, Complete Color Change
    The good thing is that you are right, unlike your WRX with the STI, this drivetrain is pretty bulletproof. Which also means that it is much cheaper if anything goes bad. A used STI engine for 4k makes the price for any Toyota engine seem like pennies. Of course having a STI is a large contrast to a Tacoma.

8. Sep 6, 2010 at 9:22 PM
    ToyotaCoupe

ToyotaCoupe [OP] Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Line-X
    I definitely miss the HP but you are sooo right re. the cost per hp ratio of the wrx/sti requires a pretty deep wallet. I do miss the boxer AWD platform but I was looking at a new front diff, possibly head gasket at 98K(timming belt time), so it was time for the Suby to go. I love this truck it is very straight forwards. I had a Tercel with a starlet swap so I am familiar with the Toyota drive line (alteast older fwd) version. My gas consumption and cost with the Taco is half of the Suby as is the insurance. If I ever get some money together I might consider a 1KZ-TE (Toyota 3.0 Turbo Diesel) swap. So far the 2.4 has been a fun little motor with the 2wd reg cab 5sp platform. I just finished all the tuning for 100K: plugs/pcv/fuel filter/oil air filter/cleaned the MAF and am waiting for the o2 sensor mod. I also need a header gasket I have a slight leak at the header. Other than that she is fine, no leaks no sounds that concern me. The tranny seems solid. I might do a clutch in about 10k and I need brakes soon. I just had some hail damage removed. it is a Southern truck so it is pretty rust free. I am also going to get a professional buffing and 70% paint match because the rear was sprayed. I recently Line-x'd the bed and I am going to do a tool box back Toneau cover and a slider for the rear window. I will also Line-X the bumpers and do a 2" lift leveling kit with sways and shocks, probably Ranchos. Ofcourse I will be scouring this forum for ideas LOL! I also want to do a new seat and eventually better gearing in the rear. For 5$K you can't beat this little truck. I came in under budget with it (my goal was no more than 8$K) so I am able to play a little:D!

9. Sep 6, 2010 at 9:34 PM
    ffr3064k

ffr3064k Active Member

Member:
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab debadged
    3 Inch lift, 32 x 11.50 Mudders, DVD, Headrest Monitors, Navigation, Sirius Radio, Subwoofers, Complete Color Change
    These are my go fast cars, that take up most of my money..IMG_0636_149983cc07b45324a7bbed344bfcd0b395bcd11a.jpg

10. Sep 7, 2010 at 5:55 AM
    Killer

Killer Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mobile, Al.
    Vehicle:
    I am glad to see we have another Cobra owner in the house. I own Shell Valley Cobra.

I used to be active @ FFRCobra.com but, since I bought my son this Tacoma, I have been spending all my time on the Tacoma.

11. Sep 7, 2010 at 6:01 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

"3. How to open this motor up a little? Like most oem ecu's the engine is running efficiently but may have allot more power available. My previous vehicle was a Subaru WRX with a Sti swap. A little contrast there LOL!"
    There ain't a lot more power there in the 4 cyl unless you supercharge it.
    Should have bought a bigger displacement truck if you want to go fast.

12. Sep 7, 2010 at 8:07 AM
    ToyotaCoupe

ToyotaCoupe [OP] Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Line-X
    Wow impeccable Ford muscle! Nice

I definitely did not get the Tacoma for displacement, there is just always that craving LOL. The 2.4 stays until it dies, it is perfect for this recession and is going to save me a bunch of money in gas and insurance. This is a great mod LOL!

13. Sep 7, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    You should do the deck plate/ silencer delete mod. Click the build link in my sig mines also a 2.4 so the process should be identical.

14. Sep 7, 2010 at 9:15 PM
    ffr3064k

ffr3064k Active Member

Member:
    Castle Rock, CO
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab debadged
    Is Shell Valley still making replicas? I thought I heard they were not anymore. I heard that FFcobra.com is no longer and they had to change the name of the site because of another lawsuit from Shelby. As you can see by my name on this forum, I have a Mark II Cobra from FFR. Great to see another Cobra owner..

Products Discussed in

To Top