1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 2011 truck. Door to be repaired soon

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nousentre, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Dec 28, 2010 at 9:23 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    +1

It's really comes down to what you really want. Stand your ground and don't back down. Your truck is new and if a new skin isn't satisfactory then push for a complete door shell.

A body shop is not going to spend the extra labor of pulling the skin off an old door and put it on your door. It's way cheaper just to buy a new skin.

2. Dec 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    I looked up the door prices verusus skin prices just for the hell of it. 200 dollar difference. Seems to make more sense to replace the whole door. Why cut/weld/ etc when it will take 20 minutes to bolt up the new door?

3. Dec 29, 2010 at 5:36 AM
    nousentre

nousentre [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    florence, sc
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prerunner SR5
    That's what I thought, but I did end up going to an auto body shop that has been around for 50+ years. I told the guy at the body shop that was writing up the information that I wanted to see the damaged outer skin after the repair, and that I wanted a copy of the receipt from Toyota for the OEM door skin. He stated, "Not a problem".

I agree with the last poster who said that it would be too much trouble for them to pull an old skin off of another vehicle. I still would rather have a brand new door, but I'll settle for this for now. If I wanted to, I would have a manager at my dealership check to see if there were any returns, but if I see the damaged door skin, then that may be proof enough. The auto body shop also places a lifetime guarantee on their work. So if I see a leak coming from the door in the next few days, I will be telling them to replace the entire door.

I'll submit pictures of the before and after to this thread, along with pics of just the outer damaged skin. I might even take pictures of the edge of the door in comparison to the edge of my driver's side door. Maybe this thread will help the next person who searches on something like this to get a visual.

Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread. I'm glad I asked the question here.

-Wes

4. Dec 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Because it is actually quicker and easier than gutting the old door then re-installing everything into the new door. I changed out the door on a Chevy Silverado I had and it wasn't the most joyful of experiences.

5. Dec 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    The dealer is the last place I would go as they are on a commission pay basis so the faster that the repair is made the sooner they can get to another job, (ie ) half ass quick repair to your vehicle, not always but it happens.

I was in the business for 20+ years, we never returned new parts and installed salvage yard parts inits place, on occasion a customer would request that we install a clean salvage part, in lew of new and save the customer some deductable, if the insurance company paided for new. I would never assume that all independent shops were crooked!

Products Discussed in

To Top