1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

NEW! (2016+) Toyota Tacoma Exhaust System

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by KTJO 4x4, Sep 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 17, 2018 at 5:55 PM
    New4x4

New4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road DCSB
    All-Pro Sliders Dirty Deeds Industries Exhaust
    can't wait for these sound clips of each setup

2. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:36 PM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yes:)

3. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:37 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    It might hit if you have a carrier drop. It’s meant to tuck up really high for ground clearance.

KTJO 4x4[OP] likes this.
  4. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:40 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    That would be this set up

5. Sep 17, 2018 at 9:50 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    With a twin turbo set up you will want low back pressure, but low rpm scavenging too.

While the turbos ‘add back pressure’ everything after the turbos will act like naturally aspirated and will actually flow more ‘even’ than of the turbos weren’t there.

It will be an experiment to see what size pipe works best behind the turbos, but man that is going to be fun!!!

Main reason this is the perfect foundation, when a person shows up with turbos, I can have several test systems built ahead of time and R&D is a matter of bolting on the systems, no reason to have the truck until it’s time to bolt stuff on.

6. Sep 17, 2018 at 10:06 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    Sorry for the delay guys. Wow!! The response has been awesome!!! Thank you everyone for all of the interest.

The stock exhaust system consists of the following:

1. Manifolds (if that’s what they’re called), and as everyone knows, the front cats are welded to the manifolds.

2. Mid pipes. This is where the rear cats are.

3. Catback. This is where the muffler is.

4. Tailpipe. Unfortunately Toyota welds the stock tailpipe to the stock muffler. (I’ll explain later why is said ‘unfortunstely’

Here’s a quick progress report:

First of all, we modified the stock mid pipes. They both have custom flanges on them now. According to smog nazis of the communistic state that I live in, after the cats is fair game.

Then we built a fixture around them. This gives us SEVERAL options:

1. If you send us your stock mids we can modify them to work with our catback.
    (Our catback will only work with your modified mids or with our custom made Mids)
    2. We can build one off mids straight piped.
    3. Custom mids with mufflers
    4. Custom mids with any other cats.

Second we built a custom catback. It was dual exhaust with x pipe. We made it end before the rear end with flanges so we could bolt tailpipes right to it.

Then we built a fixture around that section. And we designed the fixture so that we could build a single exhaust with y pipe in it if we wanted. That’s right, we can build a dual x pipe. Or a single y pipe in the same fixture. We straight piped Katie’s truck. But there is room for a muffler in the system;) so to sum it up, we can make x pipe. Y pipe. Or mufflers. And we hand build our mufflers to dictate how loud or quiet the system will be. And we are able to size the muffler based on whether or not the rear cats are in place too!!

Third, we built custom tailpipes. These go up and over the rear end. We built the fixture around them to also allow us to build just one if we wanted.

After The first pipes were built, that laid the foundation to start trying things.... first thing we tried was a pair of mufflers. This made the truck really quiet. Without mufflers it really wasn’t all that loud.

taco 16, hbaade, KTJO 4x4[OP] and 3 others like this.
  7. Sep 17, 2018 at 10:53 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    After building the dual exhaust and fixtures we tried several configurations. Each of these configurations kept all of the stock cats in place:

•Dual 2” straight piped with x pipe and tailpipes dumped after rear axle.
    •same as above dumped right before rear axle
    •same as above dumped before place where stock muffler resides.
    •dumped where stock muffler resides but with small mufflers
    •single exhaust with y pipe back by rear end dumped before rear end no mufflers
    •single exhaust with x pipe way far forward no mufflers dumped right before axle
    • same as above dumped just before where rear muffler goes
    •same as last 3 above all with a helmholtz resonator
    •last ditch effort turned out before rear tire.

In all, single exhaust has way more low end torque. I am happy to send either dual or single exhaust to anyone. However, if you’re not going with Mat’s turbos I highly recommend single exhaust.

My testing in the near future will be single exhaust. I have a little drone to resolve. In the mean time, anybody wanting a dual or single exhaust and whom doesn’t mind a little drone these are ready to go. If drone is a concern then we will need a few more weeks. But this system WILL be rad:)

8. Sep 17, 2018 at 10:59 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    Pricing will be for:

1. Mid pipes, and you can send us your stock mids to be modified.
    2. Catback
    3. Tailpipes if any.

I would also like to build a fixture around a stock tailpipe so that we can convert stock tailpipes to be a bolt on. I would love to try a stock tailpipe behind our equal length y pipe. Low end torque would be even better!!!

9. Sep 18, 2018 at 6:05 AM
    Anchovy

Anchovy Rule #1: Never take me seriously

Member:
    First Name:
    TRD Ferguson
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off Road (OVTuned)
  10. Sep 18, 2018 at 7:46 AM
    basshole

basshole Well-Known Member

Member:
    chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR MT
    Endless possibilities, this is what a mod shop should be :D

I'm interested in a mid/y-pipe combo (rear cat delete) to mate with the factory catback/muffler. I'm afraid this setup would cause rasp or drone straight pipe. I would like to keep stock note, just a tad louder to get feedback with rowing through the manual gearbox.

I know this is beginning stages, but building this based on your experience would be exactly what I'm looking for. :thumbsup:

11. Sep 18, 2018 at 7:52 AM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    We can do this no problem. We can also add mufflers to the mid pipes to get rid of rasp.

You would have to weld our y pipe into muffler.

Call for details. 760-877-4234

KTJO 4x4[OP] likes this.
  12. Sep 18, 2018 at 8:05 AM
    Tacosrus

Tacosrus Carpe Diem

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl SR5 DCSB
    OP
    I'm interested. Gaskets on flanges ? Thanks

dirtydeeds and KTJO 4x4[OP] like this.
  13. Sep 18, 2018 at 8:07 AM
    Caltech90

Caltech90 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '19 TRD OR T4R
    sub'd

dirtydeeds likes this.
  14. Sep 18, 2018 at 9:03 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Potentially dumb question(s) here:

I just want to fix the low hanging crossover and get a better flowing muffler with an axle dump and have it be about as loud as stock or a bit louder. So, Y pipe, muffler, and axle dump. But, I am a bit confused by the flange comment. If I am keeping the rear cats, can this be a bolt up system?

Just curious, is there a benefit of deleting the rear cats if I am sticking with the stock ECU tune?

Thanks!

15. Sep 18, 2018 at 9:21 AM
    elduder

elduder Well-Known Member

Member:
    Van WA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Voodoo Blue Tundra TRD Pro
    From what I've seen in the past, mostly with 1-GRs, removing the secondary cats did provide some power on a dyno. They're restrictive and removal provides power after mid range. Personal experience though with multiple exhausts on the 3.5 is that the freer the exhaust flow gets the more bottom end power is lost. 3" magnaflow made noticeably more power after 5k but under 3k felt weaker. Currently on stock with a 2.5" flowmaster welded on notice no power change. I hope we get some dynos out of this, I'd really like to see the 2" x-pipe in there.

Also, sounds like there is no option for a cat back that fits the stock secondary manifold/mid (y-pipe).

16. Sep 18, 2018 at 9:22 AM
    basshole

basshole Well-Known Member

Member:
    chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR MT
    I would like to keep factory flanges in tact. Would it be possible for me to weld a flange to mate with factory exhaust or does your design cut it out?

17. Sep 18, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    tonered

tonered bartheloni

Member:
    First Name:
    tony
    Lynnwood, WA
    Thanks. That was my impression also. I'm just used to turbos. I want to keep the low end torque that we currently have.

KTJO 4x4[OP] likes this.
  18. Sep 20, 2018 at 4:27 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    There is no benefit to removing the rear cats. But there is no harm either.

We either have to sell you new mid pipes. Or modify yours. I personally would rather see guys modify theirs. But for some guys that’s not convenient.

Reason being, we have to get rid of that crazy bend under the trans. So when we do that we replace it with an equal length catback.

19. Sep 20, 2018 at 4:30 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    We can easily make a catback that uses the stock y pipe. That will be an option in the future.

With Katie’s build we wanted to focus on the = length x or y pipe to see if it would work. And we had a limited amount of time to do it. We just barely made it happen;) But it happened and was a huge success with room for improvement.

Being equal length has a lot of advantages. That will be our focus for the next few months if developement. Then after that we will work on a catback that uses the stock y pipe.

taco 16, tonered, MOC221_ and 2 others like this.
  20. Sep 20, 2018 at 4:32 PM
    dirtydeeds

Member:
    For now our design cuts out the factory flanges. However, we can make you new mid pipes that bolt right in place of your stock mids. This would allow you to simply unbolt your factory mids, store em in the attic. Install our mids. Then our Catback.

There is several benefits to this. Main woood he that if you wanted to put your cats back on the truck for emissions testing later, they’re brand new;)

BadAss182MK and tonered like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top