1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 2018 problem

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by Utfan1, May 11, 2018.

1. Jun 19, 2018 at 2:09 PM
    Utfan1

Utfan1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    This is toyotas opinion.

20180619_170318.jpg

shakerhood likes this.
  2. Jun 19, 2018 at 2:43 PM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Typical shitty Toyota response,it's never Toyota's fault according too them.Toyota better be careful,their reputation is taking some major hits these days.

randd likes this.
  3. Jun 19, 2018 at 2:50 PM
    bajatacoguy

bajatacoguy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    RI to NH
    Vehicle:
    Blk Taco
    OEM: Bed Mat Roof Rack Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover Door Sill Protectors KO2's Dobinson GTS Suspension TRD Beadlocks Timbren Bump Stops SPC UCA Rear SuperSpring SSO Slimline Winch Bumper SmittyBilt x20 Mobtown Sliders Mobtown Front Skid Avid Basket Bed Rack DECKED Draw Organizer Total Chaos Bed Stiffners Relentless Fab Bed Corner Tie Downs CBI Ditch Light Brackets ARB Dual Compressor Instant Air Tank Smittybilt RTT Road Shower II Indel-B Fridge/Freezer w/ Slide Ironman 4x4 Insulated Fridge Case Redline Tuning Hood QuickLIFT Yo_Hec - Center Console Molle Little Johnny III CB Radio KB Voodoo Flashlight Kit Switch Pro 8100 BlueSea Fuse Pelfreybilt Fuse Panel Mount Gecko - LED Bed Lights Gecko - LED Hood Lights Raptor Grill Lights Cali Raised - Bed Flag Pole Holder Center Console Tray & Organizer Weather Tech Floor Mats Weather Tech Hood Deflector TRAILER BUILD HAPPENING! Plate: Negan

i would agree with this 100%

75z28 likes this.
  4. Jun 19, 2018 at 3:43 PM
    Utfan1

Member:
    Yeah you might however I do not. Thanks for the reply.

5. Jun 19, 2018 at 3:53 PM
    miky70blue

miky70blue TOROTA

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport BLACK 5100 / 887 OME 33" KO2

6. Jun 19, 2018 at 3:56 PM
    75z28

75z28 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Homer
    Vehicle:
    2017 OR 4x4 DCLB SSM
    While I understand the frustration. You are being VERY nitpicky... your truck was in working condition and that is all they are responsible for. You CHOSE not to pick it up because you decided that the window tint and floor mats ensure proper function--when they don't do anything.

Jaque8 and abodyjoe like this.
  7. Jun 19, 2018 at 4:05 PM
    facefirst

facefirst Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Cleveland, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Off Road DCSB
    There's a reason the floor mats have the clips. There were issues in teh past with cars getting their mats stuck under the gas pedal. It's definitely not for cosmetics.

Kpatt9, 1bad2k, Shmody and 2 others like this.
  8. Jun 19, 2018 at 4:13 PM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    Well, this thread didn't make it to hundreds of pages, but you were right about Toyotas response.....

You called it.

9. Jun 19, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    Tunngavik

Tunngavik Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road Access Cab 6 speed manual
    KC-HiLites Fog Lamps, Kicker speaker and tweeter upgrade, USB in center console, Power tailgate lock, Soundproofing, 32" lightbar
    Not the news I wanted for the OP. I feel bad for him.

:cheers:

randd likes this.
  10. Jun 19, 2018 at 5:51 PM
    Utfan1

Member:
    Yeah I see that however they still have not replaced the jute lining that they said they would replace.
    I'm certain you would be completely happy if this was your truck. Would you like to purchase it ?

11. Jun 19, 2018 at 6:05 PM
    Utfan1

Member:
    Here is the insulation that was not replaced exactly where the leak was located and the carpet that im not certain was new since it was manufactured in 2017.

20180619_205928.jpg
    20180619_205834.jpg

12. Jun 19, 2018 at 6:17 PM
    lynlan1819

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    You dont pick a truck up until the work is finished,in this case they didnt finish it,only a fool would take the truck back unfinished,that would be basically saying you are satisfied with the work.

Kpatt9, asuchemist, Shmody and 3 others like this.
  13. Jun 19, 2018 at 7:19 PM
    runmc

runmc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Tacoma TRD OR DCSB
    One Mod after another
    I'm with OP all the way on this one. When you spend hard earned money you want something without defects. Toyota dealer should have made his truck like new or replaced it. I think it's BS that his truck got sent to a 3rd party to be dismantled. Toyota dealer should have ate that truck and given OP a new unblemished one.
    If you were in his shoes you would feel the same way. Don't be a fool to think differently.

Kpatt9, Pavo, Chrome Beer and 3 others like this.
  14. Jun 19, 2018 at 7:59 PM
    redbull9944

redbull9944 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southwestern PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSBTRDOR Inferno 6MT, 2004 Double Cab 4WD Project
    Prinsu Rack, 275/70R17 Cooper ST MAXXs, TRD PRO 4Runner Wheels, 5100s
    The floor mat clips are very important. They ensure that the mat doesn't slip up and pin the gas pedal down. To not install the retaining clips is a liability that Toyota needs to avoid. I would not drive my truck without the clips.

15. Jun 20, 2018 at 2:33 AM
    yellowdogpaddler

yellowdogpaddler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    doug
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCLB OR
    GoFast Camper, Faulken WildPeak, TRD Pro (4Runner) Wheels), Goal Zero Yeti/Solar
    Your reply is completely absurd. First, do you truly understand his frustration? Have you been in his shoes; worked and saved to make potentially what is a costly purchase for him, and many of us? Have you dealt with an issue that from what he has shared really has everyone baffled as to how it happened, ON A BRAND NEW TRUCK? What right do you have to describe him as nitpicky, and yelling this at him? I find your comment and perspective of such a situation infuriating. He has conducted himself in his posts extremely respectable, never writing in anger or lashing out... much better than I would have been able to do. Again you yell "chose". He did choose, he chose to exercise a tactic to protect himself and his investment. What he paid for was not delivered and many of the folks who have commented here quite agree with his decision and tactic to only accept his truck back when it is in the condition as he agreed to purchase it is restored. Every part that comes on a vehicle has a purpose, whether you, or I know what it is. If it didn't then it wouldn't be included. Why would the manufacturer waste money on something if as you write, "when they don't do anything." Even if a part is to influence (cosmetic) due to styling that is what potentially influenced the customer to purchase it, then the consumer has every right in it being put right. Look at the non-functioning hood-scoop on the sport model. My advice to you is don't ever think you know what another person is contending with until you have been there, in the very exact situation that lead up to and after...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  16. Jun 20, 2018 at 3:32 AM
    OriginalMan

OriginalMan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oahu 808
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR 4x4
    Bilstein 5100/888; 5160/AAL; SCS Ray10 Limited Gold; 285/70 Cooper STT PRO; AVS; OVTuned; Prinsu Cabrac; RCI Bedrack; TC Bed Stiffner
    It is obvious, what we are seeing from Toyota certainly does not place customer satisfaction as their priority. Toyota needs to be able to empathize with their unsatisfied customers. The OP wanted a repaired vehicle but instead he receives bullshit and fuckeries from Cleveland Toyota. Do the right thing and put your customers as priorities you fucktards.

Reading this thread makes me want to drive my fucking Tacoma into their showroom and burn the place down. What a fucking stress.

adock220, 8TaCo8 and yellowdogpaddler like this.
  17. Jun 20, 2018 at 1:19 PM
    CBRDude

CBRDude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    That padding that the OP marked is a total PITA to replace, as it goes up the firewall and over to the drivers side too. It requires almost most of the dash to be pulled, including the HVAC and then evacuating and recharging the A/C.

My brother just got done with his leak! They took pics along the way. The OP's pics look mild compared to what they did to my brothers. Sorry I don't have access to those.

They had the truck for several weeks. He borrowed mine while his was down.

They sent the truck out for an anti mold treatment. I can tell you the smell from that stuff was awful. He had to leave the windows open for weeks before the smell was gone. Long term breathing that stuff?

You can bet they knew what was happening when they decide not to replace the padding. That would have added time, material and cost and the OP would have them dead to rights.

All the best to the OP.

tonered likes this.
  18. Jun 20, 2018 at 4:08 PM
    lynlan1819

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    So that's why Toyota is trying too jack the O.P,too cheap too do the job correctly,must be why they have recalls and problems on the trucks,because Toyota is being cheap and rushing trucks out too be sold,instead of having quality control as their number one goal too keep their reputation going.

Kpatt9 and Chrome Beer like this.
  19. Jun 21, 2018 at 5:13 AM
    CBRDude

CBRDude Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Agree Toyota is having some quality control issues getting the Tacoma to market. It's all along the route not just the final build process itself. Design, Engineering, Labor, Outsourcing the parts, dealers, ect.. plays into getting the truck into the market. It all comes down to the almighty dollar. Trucks of course are every manufactures bread and butter as these units provide the most profit for them. So why not cut corners?? Marketing also comes in to the equation. Most people don't keep the truck past the 3/36K period. For that period there is a warranty that takes care of the issues. Here is where that's open for debate... Minimal effort is being placed into that category for warranty work. (Toyota and the repairing dealers) rational is place a band-aid on the issue and send the customer packing. Fix the COD issues as that's where the real money is and to hell with the warranty work!! F the consumer is what's happening!! Those that do have issues after the warranty are far a few between. Some buy extended warranties, some don't have issues and some you just stay away from. A complete roll of the dice. These issues are all abound and in every manufacture not just Toyota. I think you just hear more as there are more on the road?

Getting back to the OP. If they (Toyota) bought the truck back before a arbitration ruling the truck doesn't get branded a lemon and the value of it doesn't get whacked for resale purposes. What's happening is Toyota is calling his bluff and thinking the OP will just go away with his tail between his legs and Toyota wins. Attorneys cost money. What the OP needs to do is get a Lemon Attorney, which will send a letter to the appropriate folks and the process will get started faster than a Fire Cracker! Like oh shit something with big ass teeth just bit into the ole Toyota wallet. Toyota will settle before it goes any further and the OP will have several options to choose from as far as walking away totally (buy back), an extended warranty (the OP keeps what he has) or replacement of like kind. Like kind is just that, if the truck was a blue ORDC he get a new blue ORDC one with the same options and accessories. No more no less. The old truck will get shipped off to auction in another region and no one is the wiser, except if you have a friend that works for Toyota and can pull the service records and see all the activity. At that point the future buyer should steer clear of the potential purchase. How are these items covered up you ask? The service tickets are not closed out so it's not submitted to CARFAX and AutoCheck who the dealer sells this info to. The only way anyone can see it is if you have an insider that can pull the service records which are in all Toyota dealers. Also another clue is when you see a vehicle last owned in lets say Virginia and auctioned off in the Michigan or the Midwest. Most vehicles are auctioned off regionally not taken to another region as that costs money to transport. There are exceptions such as leases, ect...

Anyway the OP needs to get an attorney and break out the big guns. They aren't listening to the b-b gun chatter! He needs to itemize (Present a time line) for the conversations and findings by the day and hour so this can be presented as facts. Emails, pics, and any voice records where permitted.

All the best to all involved!

20. Jun 21, 2018 at 11:02 AM
    Shmody

Shmody Active Member

Member:
    KANSAS CITY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Been following this thread since I joined TW and this outcome is not what I was hoping for but unfortunately it was expected. :mad:

Big props to you for keeping cool throughout the process. I would have been and still would be livid.

Best of luck to you OP and I hope whatever the outcome is from this is in your favor.

Products Discussed in

To Top