1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 3rd Gen owner checking in (and comparisons to a Tundra)

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by vbb, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Apr 9, 2017 at 4:15 AM
    vbb

vbb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 MBM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Volk TE37x 16x8 265/70/16 Duratrac TRD exhaust 35% tint
    Hello Tacoma World!

I'm an owner of a new 2017 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4 w/6sp manual. I'm coming from a 2015 Tundra Limited, and thought I'd introduce myself and post up a few of my thoughts between the two trucks for anyone that may be considering the swap.

First, the Tacoma has always been my favorite truck. Since Marty McFly got one in Back to the Future (did I just date myself?) I've wanted one. However, I've always been a car guy first, and I've had my fair share of fun sports cars over the years. Sports cars are rarely good daily drivers, particularly if you need any sort of utility, so I picked up a used beater truck (Nissan Titan) for that. After awhile, I was driving the old truck more than my sports car, and figured that maybe I was a truck guy after all. Enter the 2015 Tundra Limited.

I got the Tundra instead of the Tacoma because I figured with the family, I needed the room. Plus, the Limited was loaded, with all the amenities in a nice SUV. The problem was it was huge, and got terrible gas mileage. I live in suburbia, but frequently would drive into the city, and it was a mess to find street parking or a garage. Also, since I didn't tow anything, I never had the need for all of that towing power. I did load up the bed a few times and that was quite convenient, but all in all, I didn't need the Tundra.

Being a sports car guy, I also was very intrigued by the 6 speed manual on the new Tacoma. I test drove one when I had my Tundra in for routine maintenance and was hooked. I loved it. The Tacoma was far more nimble and fun to drive, and just felt like it had that 'just right' size. It also averages about 5mpg more in the city and almost 9mpg more on the highway. Nothing huge, but noticeable. Yes, at times I miss having the much larger bed of the Tundra, but that's about all that I miss. If you're frequently going to be towing something or taking the family on road trips, the Tundra is a better option... but for general homeowner duties and a little fun, I much prefer the Tacoma. It is what I now use as my daily. We have a minivan for the family duties.

So anyway, sorry for the long post, but perhaps someone cross-shopping the two vehicles finds this helpful.

I know the rules... post pics! Here's my Tacoma, with new 265/70/17 BFG TKO2s on the stock TRD Sport wheels.
    tacoma_zpsroxn9oto_df71cd0e55a854d57be851280eeab3c3cea0d837.jpg

2. Apr 9, 2017 at 4:26 AM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco ALL human beings deserve equal treatment

Member:
    USA
    Welcome :thumbsup:

It's always better to own a vehicle that fills your needs 95% of the time as opposed to owning one for those 5% "what if" moments

69others, vbb[OP] and Ledfoot 26 like this.
  3. Apr 9, 2017 at 4:31 AM
    Ledfoot 26

Ledfoot 26 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR 4x4 Barcelona Red
    I m a previous owner of a 2015 Tundra as well, Very Nice Post!!

vbb[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Apr 9, 2017 at 4:45 AM
    TimmyC

TimmyC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Central MA
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR DC Long Bed
    Billstein 5100's, OME 888 Coils, Dakar Medium Duty Leaf Pack, SC Ray Rims, BFG K02 - 285's, Leer XR100 cap, Topper EZ Lift System
    Nice write up man and nice truck! I've also had sports cars...actually kept my Acura TL for the time being. May sell it long term if I don't end up driving it anymore. I just picked up the TRD off road DC long bed in silver...looks nearly identical to your truck. I agree, these things are not small. Parking the tacoma a few times at the mall, I would not want anything bigger! It really does seem like the perfect sized truck. How do you like the BFGs compared to the stock tires? I'm planning on getting the same tire and mounting on the TRD bead lock rims.

vbb[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 9, 2017 at 9:34 AM
    vbb

vbb [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 MBM TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    Volk TE37x 16x8 265/70/16 Duratrac TRD exhaust 35% tint
    I still have my sports car too (a Porsche 911) but honestly, I plan to sell it relatively soon. I hardly drive it. It's a fun toy and still has retained considerable value, but I just can't justify having it and not really driving it. I'm thinking of getting something cheaper that I don't mind tinkering with and will take to a few track days here and there.

The BFGs ride different than the stock Toyos for sure. The Toyos make the truck feel more SUV like while the BFGs have more of a truck like feel if that makes any sense. They're quiet for A/T tires and comfortable, but you feel the road a bit more than I did with the stock tires. That said, I would not go back to stock. I much, much prefer the look and capabilities of the BFGs.

Thunder Fist and TimmyC[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Apr 9, 2017 at 1:53 PM
    MOC221_

MOC221_ 3 pedal metal

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB Sport M/T Barcelona Red
    vF Tuned; ADM; Core SS
    Nice post and welcome to TW!

Yep, I've had mine since October of 2015 and still love driving the manual.

Frank

vbb[OP] likes this.
  7. Apr 9, 2017 at 4:04 PM
    JJ TACO

JJ TACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16 TRD OR DCSB MT QUICKSAND
    Welcome to TW! Congrats on the new truck

8. Apr 9, 2017 at 5:07 PM
    tibadoe

tibadoe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Gladys, VA
    Vehicle:
    17 Tacoma SR 4X4
    Welcome from VA. I had a '14 Tundra SR5 and enjoyed it but it was time for me to move back to the Tacoma.

9. Jun 2, 2017 at 7:20 PM
    TOY33

TOY33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver 14 DCSB PreRunner
    Have you got to use the 4x4 function yet ?

10. Jun 2, 2017 at 8:40 PM
    Pittrider

Pittrider Pitty, those needing correction.

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    B.C.
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM LTD LB
    Do you need to know, or care?
    Welcome! Always nice to hear from our Tundra owners. Some of us second guess the purchase.

11. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:01 PM
    AustinNative

AustinNative Swollen Member

Member:
    ATX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD Sport DCSB
    Maxtrac spindles OME 885s Bilstein 5100s all around (adjustable front/extended length rears) Maxtrac rear blocks Headstrong Taco lean spacer OME CBD SS brake lines InsaneFab CMC 18x12 Fuel Hostage 35x12.50 Maxxis AT 1.25" Spidertrax spacers in the rear Llumar Ceramic Tint (5% Rears & Back / 18% Fronts / 50% Windshield) Toyota Tri-Fold bed cover and OEM bed mat Triple Black Clazzio seat covers WeatherTech laser fit or whatever the fuck they call em Probably other stuff...
    When I got my '13 I went in the dealer with the intention of buying a Crewmax Tundra. After a test drive, I knew it wasn't the right daily for me. 80/20 rule, I don't need full size. A good friend of mine got a Tundra around the same time I went from a '13 to my '17. Now he seems what Tacos can be like with some cash thrown at it. Once he finishes his house reno, he's jumping on Team Taco.

Good move. Clean truck. I'd probably miss the power, but I know I wouldn't miss the size.

(That's what she said?)

12. Jun 2, 2017 at 9:05 PM
    TOY33

TOY33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Silver 14 DCSB PreRunner
    I know I miss a full size truck ... just not in the cards right now. Agree though on parking in tight lots.

13. Jun 2, 2017 at 10:15 PM
    Thunder Fist

Thunder Fist Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Birmingham, AL
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM TRD OR DCSB
    Like, so many.
    I was always a sports car guy too. Then my grandad left me his old Ranger when he passed away and then I couldn't remember how I made it without a truck. So I'm a truck guy now.

14. Jun 3, 2017 at 4:27 AM
    el_burro

el_burro Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCLB
    Welcome, and nice truck!!! :thumbsup:

15. Jun 3, 2017 at 4:56 AM
    mthopton

mthopton Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    '16 TRD DCSB 4x4
    Recently going from a Taco to a Tundra, I'll tell you that it is soooo nice to have an adjustable seat again. Additionally, the view over the hood is much better, IMO. Loved my Taco though.

TOY33 likes this.
  16. Jun 3, 2017 at 6:00 AM
    TreeDog

TreeDog Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    West Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2017 Double Cab SR5
    Awesome! I did the same thing last week. I traded my '16 Tundra for a '17 Tacoma. Had a '14 Tacoma and thought I needed a big dick truck with a new job and a lot bigger paycheck. I got 15mpg over 45,xxx miles. It was huge and a pain to park or get through the some of the back roads. The heaviest thing I hauled with it was an atv and a small trailer load of hay. I don't have kids so I didn't need the extra room. I get reimbursed mileage plus a stipend to use my personal truck for work. The Tacoma says I'm getting 22mpg. The better my mileage, the more money that goes into my pocket instead of my fuel tank. I'm excited to run the numbers and see exactly where I'm at. Almost through the first tank and so far I'm loving the Tacoma. It's easy to park, smaller and more maneuverable, and rides a lot better than the Tundra. Not saying the Tundra is a bad truck, I would have stayed in it if I needed a full size.

Herniator and TOY33 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top