1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

BUYER BEWARE: New 3rd Gen Tacoma Tailgate Opener

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by KTJO 4x4, Jun 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dec 25, 2019 at 7:00 AM
    tpp4

tpp4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB SR
    Yeah, that makes sense. I didn't think about the possible voltage difference

2. Dec 25, 2019 at 10:17 AM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma Black,Sport,Premium and Tech Package
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    Locked the truck, passenger door unlocked with the second press of the fob. Thanks for getting back to me Dan. Happy Holidays to everyone.

3. Dec 25, 2019 at 11:25 AM
    DSIM

DSIM Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Raleigh, NC
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM Tacoma TRD Off-Road
    No problem. Definately not the module then. Can you post a picture of your radio settings? Once your passenger door unlocks on first press then it should be 3 clicks and not 4.

tacodnr likes this.
  4. Dec 25, 2019 at 5:39 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    Sport pedals,, Magnaflow cat back exhaust system,Kuhmo 275x55x20, Platinum #220 Abyss wheels 20x9.5. Under hood lights, OEM LED cargo bed lights, extra D-rings installed in bed, AC mod, diff. breather mod, OEM LED puddle lights and footwell lights, Homelink mirror, oil catch can, raptor grille lights, replaced chrome grille molding with black molding, tailgate lock/unlock and tailgate opener, console organizer, glove compartment organizer, Caliraised stealth LED light bar, TRD Cold Air Intake, Lighted cup holders, Meso extended fuse cover, Meso stage 1 tail lights, Meso switch panel, Door bowl lights. Anytime front and rear backup camera mod. TRD Pro Rigid fog lights.Door edge guards. TRD Pro shift knob with Boomer's TRD LED light (Red for security, blue for interior), Glass Break Sensor, sensor with LED light tied into the security LED light, OEM LED Headlights, Sequential LED Turn Signals.
    I am a little confused. My passenger door unlocks on the second click. My understanding was the first click unlocks the driver door, second click unlocks the passenger door and the third click opens the tailgate. Maybe everything is working correctly and I am confused.
    The way mine is working: first click unlocks driver door, second click unlocks the passenger door, 2 more clicks (total 4 clicks) opens the tailgate.
    I can send you a picture of my radio settings, can’t do it from my iPad, will have to send it from my desktop. I had previously sent you a picture of my settings, not sure if you received it. I can resend. Thanks Dan

5. Dec 26, 2019 at 3:08 PM
    2016Mallcrawler

2016Mallcrawler New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 Tacoma
    TRD Tribute
    Payment sent for Tacoma complete kit, thanks

6. Jan 1, 2020 at 6:31 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    I am a little confused. My passenger door unlocks on the second click. My understanding was the first click unlocks the driver door, second click unlocks the passenger door and the third click opens the tailgate. Maybe everything is working correctly and I am confused.
    The way mine is working: first click unlocks driver door, second click unlocks the passenger door, 2 more clicks (total 4 clicks) opens the tailgate.
    I can send you a picture of my radio settings. Thanks Dan.
    IMG_0385.jpg

7. Jan 2, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    tpp4

tpp4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB SR
    Obviously not Dan, but what happens if you disable 2-press unlock

8. Jan 2, 2020 at 4:53 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    It will open the tailgate on the second click.

9. Jan 9, 2020 at 3:54 PM
    KTJO 4x4

KTJO 4x4 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OFF-ROAD 4x4 DCSB BARCELONA RED
    Nitro 4.88 Gears OVTune 1.05 91Oct DirtyDeeds Exhaust
    UPDATE:

I just wanted to send kind of an update with what has been going on in my life so that people are kind of aware. I was only going to make the one post on the one thread, but it seems as tho some people dont see those messages and then get upset about my lack of communication. I’ve also been receiving a crazy amount of messages of people that have placed orders in the last two week or so about when I will be shipping their orders out. It’s not that I have to make this post, but just so that people know when I don’t respond, it might be that maybe something came up unexpectedly and to maybe just hold a second and I will for sure get back to you. I normally am known to reply and ship right away and if that doesn’t happen, something usually is happening with my family and that takes priority over everything. That or my actual job. So here is my update:

In light of the above, on December 18, 2019 my neighbor was in a tragic accident that ended his life on December 28, 2019 after the family had to make the tough decision that nobody ever wants to have to make. My sister unexpectedly had to be taken to the hospital the night of December 21, 2019. She had surgery the morning of December 22, 2019. My sister didn’t get released from the hospital until December 24, 2019. Christmas was on December 25, 2019 where I had to take my sister back to the hospital because she was in severe pain and was having some complications from her surgery. My grandma had heart surgery on December 31st and just was released to come home January 2, 2020. We had the service for my neighbor yesterday, January 4, 2020 and I am currently at my grandmothers taking care of her while also trying to catchup on everything that I am behind on work wise and hobby wise (which is this).

This week I have sent out 10 Tundra kits, 2 Extension Outlet Harnesses (that I haven’t even got around to releasing yet, but they are in stock now), two full set of Tacoma Folding Mirrors, 1 Full Set of 4Runner Folding Mirrors, 3 DIY Folding Mirror Kits, and I will be starting on the Tacoma Tailgate Lock and Tailgate Opener New Orders that have been placed. I the SR5 Folding Mirror Harnesses In Stock Now as well :).

In the meantime, while all this has been going on, my vendor is getting ready to go on their 3 week holiday and I have to get orders in by the 8th so I have been trying to see what all I need before then. Ugh. I have also completed the Power Outlet Kit so that order has been placed. I have made changes to HUD. Im waiting for the second 3D sample of the Grab Handle. I have finally installed the Wi-Fi mirroring system paired with my Multi Cam System. I am getting it ready to ship to my vendors to get molds made for our mirrors and Harnesses. Unfortunately, for those that have the MESO Puddles, the cameras are on the inner. However, I may purchase if I can, just the outer section and get that mold made for you.

I’d like to say thank you for your patience and for your orders!!!

PS if someone has the 2020 outer section and wouldn’t mind sending it to me that would be amazing so I could get a mold made :)

DSIM likes this.
  10. Jan 25, 2020 at 10:14 PM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE:

Here’s a look at what will be the New Integrated Tailgate Open PNP Wire Harness

[​IMG]

DSIM, KC.Taco and Rainoffire like this.
  11. Feb 1, 2020 at 9:49 AM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    TACO_AF, Rainoffire and DSIM like this.
  12. Apr 2, 2020 at 6:39 PM
    i29gman

i29gman New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tacoma Sport grey
    Just completed install of lock and opener. The 2nd longest rod worked best for my open actuator. 3rd longest rod was too short and Latch would not engage properly causing the tailgate to be able to be opened even though locked. Some good advice: remove the two rubber bumpers (one on each side of truck near tailgate cable-they just pull straight out) before testing open and close function. With the bumpers in place the tailgate would open on 3 unlock signals but would not work after first time. After multiple efforts, I had to keep resetting the DSIM module by disconnecting the A-harness. After resetting it would work again but only once. (Wonder if the DSIM module has protective circuit from overheating). After removing rubber bumpers works perfectly every time. I will try trimming the bumpers down later and plugging them back in. I could have saved a lot of time, troubleshooting and frustration had I removed them at the outset of the install.

KTJO 4x4[OP] likes this.
  13. Apr 2, 2020 at 7:12 PM
    TRD Larry

TRD Larry trd larry

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    South Park, PA
    Vehicle:
    I had the same problem, until I trimmed down the rubber bumpers. I think it might be a good idea to add this to the instructions. Once I trimmed the bumpers the tailgate dropped every time. Wonder why the opener does not work unless the bumpers are removed or trimmed. Does the bumpers apply pressure against the tailgate causing the tailgate to stick?

14. Apr 4, 2020 at 11:13 AM
    DryWaterSildeGuy

DryWaterSildeGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma off road
    3in all pro lift W/king suspension
    Is OP still producing this kit? Of so I would be interested in the full kit.

KTJO 4x4[OP] likes this.
  15. Apr 26, 2020 at 7:11 AM
    KTJO 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Katie
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    UPDATE:

Last week for the 19% off discount for COVID19. If you are wanting to get in on this, now is the time to do so. Just grab what you want on the site, throw it in your cart and at checkout, enter the coupon code COVID-19

Just an FYI, if you order an Opener Package, they will be shipping out most likely at the end of this coming week. I should be receiving the 4 Rods I have been told by Thursday.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    TACO_AF likes this.
  16. May 31, 2020 at 4:34 PM
    TAZMINATOR

TAZMINATOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma
    I am interested in the opener kit since I have pop n lock kit in my tailgate. Would it work with pop n lock?

17. May 31, 2020 at 5:43 PM
    bong_671

bong_671 Member

Member:
    Which kit do I get that, I’m looking at the lock/unlock and opener?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top