1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New 4x4 Tacoma Has Vibration When Braking

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by gwreynolds, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Jan 23, 2019 at 4:03 PM
    turbosnail

turbosnail Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pa
    Vehicle:
    18 dbl cab sr5 v6 4x4 , 1985 turbo sr5 pick up
    I had the rear axle tsb performed on my truck and the decel vibration is still there, comes in right around 20mph while braking or coasting to a stop . Watching the threads to see if anyone gets this resolved , I’m just kinda trying to live with it for now , other than that, I really do love the truck

2. Jan 25, 2019 at 6:27 PM
    Cl4aub

Cl4aub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montgomery, Al
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4x4
    2019 trd sport 4x4...700 miles ..purchased dec 29 2018 ...after 1st week or so started to get vibrations from rear when braking from 50 mph or so...but it was random...found this thread so I called service department and scheduled appointment for today. I did not tell them that I knew about tsb 23. Advised vibrations from rear randomly when braking. Technician drove truck and felt vibrations, with further testing they called toyota ...gave me a loaner and they have ordered the parts for new rear axle per this tsb....they advised they should have truck ready by Wednesday. Will let you know if this fixes mine.....stay tuned...........

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    SaulGoodman and Skull like this.
  3. Jan 31, 2019 at 12:47 PM
    MAFbeard

MAFbeard Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR DCLB
    Diamondback SE
    I just picked up a new 2019 TRD OR earlier this month and had the same problem. It was vibrating when braking from 50mph and also random vibrations while cruising. It is currently at the dealer now getting the rear axle TSB performed. However, I was given quite the run around at first. I took it back to the dealer where I purchased it just 5 days after bringing it home. I told them what was happening and a tech went for a ride with me. He agreed it was a problem. I specifically said I wanted the rear axles checked out and gave them the TSB # 0023-18. Two days later they called and said everything was normal and they drove other new ones that they are the same. I came to get it and also drove another new TRD OR. It had a little vibration but not as bad as mine. They, of course, said they couldn't do anything because Toyota said it is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. They also said that the rear axle TSB did not apply to my truck....complete bullshit. Three days later I took it to another dealer and they diagnosed it in about 2 minutes and said they had just finished another 2019 TRD OR with the same issue. They had to fight with Toyota to get it approved but got it done. They called this morning and let me know that the rear axle flanges were under spec and the brake drums were in round but also out of spec and the holes were not centered. The parts are headed their way now and I hope to have it back soon. This is my first Toyota (previously had several Dodges and never a single visit to the dealership for anything other than regular maintenance....shocking, I know). **The Toyota case manager just called while I was typing this...haha.** I'll post an update once I get it back from the dealer. This is my first post as I'm new to the forum but I just wanted to try and help out anyone else that has this problem and reinforce what several other people have already said. A good dealer CAN get this fixed and it doesn't matter if the TSB says it is for your model/year or not. If you have a problem they need to take care of it regardless of whether there is a TSB that applies. If you know something isn't right do not accept the "this is just a characteristic of the vehicle" crap and find a better dealer. Good luck!

vuTron, Yo mama, Cl4aub and 1 other person like this.
  4. Jan 31, 2019 at 12:57 PM
    SaulGoodman

SaulGoodman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Offroad
    I have shuddering at moderate braking 40-15mph, none after. I am hoping its just the drums but sound like I may be suffering from the same issue. Got a dealer appt Wednesday, so here we go 135 miles on mine.

5. Jan 31, 2019 at 1:02 PM
    MAFbeard

MAFbeard Member

Member:
    OR
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement TRD OR DCLB
    Diamondback SE
    If the dealer doesn't immediately acknowledge it call Toyota directly and get a service case opened. It will help expedite the process. 1-800-331-4331. Isn't this sad?...brand new vehicles going right back to the dealer. Keep us posted.

SaulGoodman likes this.
  6. Jan 31, 2019 at 1:12 PM
    SaulGoodman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Offroad
    Thanks, I have purchased from this dealership before and had a new 4runner aligned with no problems whatsoever. I don't anticipate getting any trouble out of them but appreciate the direct line, if problems do arise.

Little bit bummed but if they work it out I'll be smitten with the truck. Love it otherwise and had way worse problems with my Wrangler.

MAFbeard likes this.
  7. Jan 31, 2019 at 2:26 PM
    Portaphile

Portaphile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Took my 18 Tacoma OR on Monday to get this checked out. Was experiencing the same vibrations/shudder between 40-10 mph. They said they hadn't had any other trucks with this issue and they weren't aware of the TSB. They test drove the vehicle and agreed they felt the vibrations but stated it was attributable to the road and normal for this vehicle. I took them a copy of the TSB and then agreed to take at the axles. After checking the axles they said that the TSB didn't apply to my vehicle but while they were there did find an issue with the drums. Getting them replaced now and hoping this take care of it for my vehicle. I'll report back if it doesn't.

SaulGoodman likes this.
  8. Jan 31, 2019 at 4:08 PM
    Cl4aub

Cl4aub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montgomery, Al
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4x4

Well....just got mine back today they had it 6 days counting weekend...only problem...i test drove it about 10 miles after picking it up this afternoon and its still there...almost wanted to cry...i will be talking with them again in the morning ...back to the dealer for me....will update later

turbosnail and SaulGoodman like this.
  9. Jan 31, 2019 at 4:18 PM
    Dryvah

Dryvah Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tacoma TRD
    My 2019 also has this vibration while braking from 50 mph+. Feels a lot like braking with a warped rotor. I'll be calling the service dept tomorrow. This will make my second trip to the service dept. 1200 miles on it.

Cl4aub likes this.
  10. Jan 31, 2019 at 4:30 PM
    SaulGoodman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Offroad
    Kinda shocked they leapt to the axles without checking the drums first, seems like that would have been the logical order. Sorry the new axles didn’t work out, looking forward to your resolution.

turbosnail and Cl4aub[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Jan 31, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    SaulGoodman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Offroad
    Are you feeling a pulsating through the steering wheel and pedal , in my experience that would be the symptoms of rotors. This seems like an issue with the booty.

12. Jan 31, 2019 at 5:06 PM
    Cl4aub

Cl4aub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montgomery, Al
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4x4
    4CAF5C83-650E-44C4-9086-908C87DB574A.jpg Here is my copy from work done...that did not fix my problem...I asked him what tsb this was and he said it didn’t have one because mine is a 2019 and the original tsb was for 2017/2018

SaulGoodman likes this.
  13. Feb 1, 2019 at 9:36 AM
    El_Taco_Blanco

El_Taco_Blanco Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    I am on my 2nd - 3rd Gen Tacoma. I bought a 2017 SR5 4X4 in July of 2017. Over the following 9 months I went through 5 sets of rear drum brakes and two rear axle replacements. I was also noticing the vibration and shuddering from the rear brakes. I initiated a buy-back request with Toyota Corporate and ended up receiving a full refund (including registration fees) from Toyota.

Convinced that I had bought a rare fluke of a lemon, I bought a 2018 TRD-OR in April of 2018. I now have 20K and have been through 4 sets of rear drums... Toyota regional engineer says the rear axle measures within spec each time, but the drums are obviously out of round and need replacing. They do not know what's causing the brakes to go out of round, since there is no run out on the axle. The last time I took the truck in, the service rep advised that I use my gears more when towing to be easier on my brakes. I don't tow with my Tacoma.

14. Feb 1, 2019 at 9:46 AM
    SaulGoodman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Offroad
    Wow , I would have gave up after the second set of drums . Glad you got a buy back on your first , one of the reasons I didn’t get a zr2 was unproven reliability but it seems the issue plague most new vehicles regardless of brand . That sucks and hope they get it worked out on your new truck.

15. Feb 1, 2019 at 9:53 AM
    SaulGoodman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Offroad
    Have you driven with the drum fix yet?

16. Feb 1, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    Portaphile

Portaphile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar
    Vehicle:
    Not yet, parts coming in today so I'm hoping to get it back before the end of the day. Will report back as soon as I drive it around a bit.

SaulGoodman[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Feb 4, 2019 at 8:07 AM
    Portaphile

Portaphile Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cesar
    Vehicle:
    Got the truck back late on Friday. Been driving it all weekend and I still don't know if it's gone or not. I still feel some vibrations but overall I think it's better. Here's the service invoice from the local toyota dealership.

[​IMG]

SaulGoodman and Cl4aub like this.
  18. Feb 4, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    Cl4aub

Cl4aub Well-Known Member

Member:
    Montgomery, Al
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport 4x4
    Dropped mine off again this morning at dealership got another loaner..I think they are ordering new drums also....went to use the e-brake this weekend...I think they forgot to hook it back up as it did nothing...no resistance when pulled....they are working on keeping it longer than I have since I bought it...maybe I should suggest they make the next payment

Yo mama likes this.
  19. Feb 4, 2019 at 3:39 PM
    MetalYota

MetalYota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1990 22re, 1999 Tacoma, SOLD 2017 TRD DC
    Had it for the whole life of my truck. Multiple dealerships couldn’t fix. Started case with corporate and couldn’t fix.

Some say it’s a transmission thing....all I know is it’s one of the reasons I sold the truck.

20. Feb 5, 2019 at 10:38 AM
    SaulGoodman

Member:
    Vehicle:
    23 TRD Offroad
    Weak... I love the truck otherwise but have noticed it again after putting 400 more miles on the highway that were impressively smooth.

Has anyone tried a 20$ carrier bearing drop spacer kit for shits and giggles ? If the appointment Wednesday doesn’t resolve mine I may volunteer to be the guinea pig , since some suggest it may be angle related

Products Discussed in

To Top