1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New AK needed

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by TanSR5x4, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Aug 6, 2011 at 6:59 PM
    TanSR5x4

TanSR5x4 [OP] Hold my beer and watch this

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    im kinda bored so i wanted to see if TW could help me with my next purchase

i just sold my AK-47
    IMAG0139.jpg
    and now i need a new one

i really want an under folder. i think i want a polish pattern AKMSUF or i have been kicking around the idea of getting a draco pistol and putting an under folding stock on it which would require me to fill out a form 1 for the BATFE? which i no nothing about. so i would just really like any opinions on the form 1.

or should i maybe go with one of these
    http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...9-cal,-by-cai-/cPath/209_214/products_id/4715

http://centerfiresystems.com/akagun-poluf.aspx

supposed to be certified. they have good reviews on ar15.com. this is actually what im leaning hard towards now
    http://www.hendersondefense.com/store/pc/Polish-AKMS-Underfolder-AK47-50p271.htm

maybe just build one from a kit?

open to any and all comments

2. Aug 6, 2011 at 7:13 PM
    Detective_Dan

Detective_Dan "Place original and witty user title here"

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB Beast / 2016 Yamaha FZ-07
    Pelfreybilt Front Plate Bumper, Brute Force Fab High Clearance Rear Bumper, Pelfreybilt Sliders, OME 886/Dakars, SCS F5's, 33" Ko2's, Cobra 75WXST/3' Firestik, oil catch can, aero turbine 2525, rear differential breather extension, bedmat, weathertech digital fit front/rear, BHLM, custom shiftknob (made by me),
  3. Aug 6, 2011 at 8:52 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    Deckplate mod, black KC slimlight fogs, hurculined bed, NRA sticker mod, painted rear chrome bumper black, black fender flares and front grill surround, HIDs, All-pro rear leafs and UCAs, Eibach coilovers, billys all around, flat black pro comps, 31x10.5x15 BFG KM2s
    hahaha yeah pink is nice but i think ill stick with the wood grain

4. Aug 6, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    wingspar

wingspar Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Access Cab
    If I was to buy another AK, it would probably be a Polish underfolder. I bought my AK from JG Sales. Smooth transaction. Henderson Defense probably has the best reputation for selling good quality AK’s as they go thru them before selling them, no canted sights or anything like that, but they were out of stock when I was ready to order.

I’d most likely go overboard, and get a Polish underfolder built by Red Jacket. Little more money, but probably worth it.

5. Aug 7, 2011 at 9:08 AM
    meeestirg

meeestirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vance County, NC
    damn i eventually want an AK. which country besides russia makes the best one?

6. Aug 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    wow awesome im so glad you chimed in with some first hand experience! what kind did you buy from JG? i really dont have a lot of money in my budget and i have heard the wait from one from red jacket is absolutely ridiculous

thanks so much for the info! sounds like SBRs and a full kit build is out of the equation now. the one i sold was a good gun and never really failed and was surprisingly accurate but i just didnt really like it anymore and i knew i could sell it to fund an underfolder. i have a budget of $700 that i would like to turn into an underfolder, maybe mags or bayonet or sling, and possibly ammo. i just really want one to have around take to the range and what not.

i would also love to know the difference between 47s and 74s. i always thought it was just the length. but i heard the other day it was caliber. id like to stick to 7.62x39

i really appreciate the responses!

7. Aug 7, 2011 at 12:01 PM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    I bought a WASR 10/63 from JG Sales about a year ago for $399.95. Shipping, transfer fee and background check brought it to around $450. I forget exactly. I’ve had zero problems with it. Functions perfect. It is exactly what I wanted. I bought a case of ammo that came out to $0.18/round with shipping, but prices have gone up since then.

The Red Jacket Polish Underfolders are sold thru Atlantic Firearms, and are usually in stock.

8. Aug 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    The AK-74 shoots 5.56 x 39. Not the same round as the more common 5.56 x 45 people shoot in their AR’s. 7.62 x 39 is more common, easy to find, and cheaper.

9. Aug 7, 2011 at 12:10 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    thats cool i heard that its all chance when you order a WASR10 cuz theres some good ones and some bad ones. i was just looking more and saw a WASR underfolder and it has a chrome lined barrel which i would love to have but idk

i checked Atlantic and found that one. its really nice but its just too much at $750

10. Aug 7, 2011 at 12:12 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    i thought it was 5.45 or something. but yeah i got an AR already. and i also got like 300 7.62x39 rounds but no AK lol

11. Aug 7, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    WASR’s are the guns people love to bash. Most of the complaints seem to revolve around crude finish, canted sights and so on, but nothing that affects function. The wood on my WASR is rough to the touch, and I keep thinking I will take some sandpaper to it sometime, but I’ve never done it. The models sold in the US come with Tapco G2 triggers installed, and they are very nice triggers. First time I shot the gun it went off before I thought I even put my finger on the trigger. I had it pointed at the target, so no harm. Took a while to get used to that trigger. Feels more like the trigger on a SA handgun.

Yes, the price for a Red Jacket Underfolder isn’t cheap, which is probably why I will continue to think about it. Sure would like one tho.

12. Aug 7, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Yea, you’re right. It’s 5.45 x 39. I knew I shouldn’t have typed that from memory.

13. Aug 7, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    man i am so stoked about this feedback. i was hesitant to post this cuz i figured i would get some sarcastic responses at best. but i really appreciate the first hand knowledge. and now you have me thinking about a 74 but i im gonna stick with the one from henderson defense now and hopefully order it sometime this week. i guess if im not happy with it i can just sell/trade it out till i find what im looking for

once again thank you very much for your insightful posts:thumbsup:

14. Aug 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM
    wingspar

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    You’ll do fine with the one from Henderson Defense. They go thru all AK’s before they send them out, so you should have an excellent gun. Don’t sleep on it too long. Their page says there are only 5 in stock.

The 5.45 x 39 is one wicked round. Read up about the construction of the bullet and what it does when it hits something. It will just plain leave a nasty hole.

15. Aug 16, 2011 at 3:30 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    ok so i got my rifle! but im less than stoked about the finish. just seems idk i just dont care for it. the receiver cover it gray and it really stands out. and i got a wasr owners manual with it which made me very uneasy but i dont think its a wasr. what do yall think?
    IMAG0153_1313531859732.jpg
    IMAG0155_1313531904450.jpg
    IMAG0157_1313533086743.jpg

16. Aug 16, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    bumpskis! everyone check out my new rifle and give me mad props or talk shit bro

sorry about the upside down pic

17. Aug 16, 2011 at 9:27 PM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    thanks for replying! i understand that. i was wondering if i should try and buy another receiver cover to match better. if i can get decent groups at 50 and get on the paper at 100 i will be extremely happy with it. otherwise i will get the front sight tool and try and zero it in a little better. idk why but i was hoping for an NDS receiver and i know the wasrs being sold lately have a chrome lined barrel but i knew i wasnt going to get that. it looks good and feels good and if it shoots as good as it feels i will be ecstatic.

idk what FCG is. the front sight seems to be good although im not entirely sure what you mean by canted:/ although this is why i chose the henderson defense over J&G sales to inspect and make sure of this for me. it appears to have been fired as i did a little cleaning today and the barrel and piston were a little sooty upon inspection so i assume its been test fired. i will probably get to the range this weekend and put at least 100 rounds through it

18. Aug 17, 2011 at 6:39 AM
    TanSR5x4

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma SR5 4x4
    good numbers:thumbsup: thats what im hoping for although im not that great of a shot and will probably be using all steel. specifically brown bear and maybe tul ammo

i spend a little time lurking of ar15.com so i got ftf and fte and some other random sayings idk why last night i just wasnt thinking. as for the trigger it seemed different from my first one which i believe was a tapco G2 double hook, but this one the hooks look smaller. you think i should take it about and polish it? ive been racking the bolt back all last night and plan to break it in this weekend and put rounds down. and as far as i can tell the front sight looks straight

this is the write up i was gonna follow if i ever get the front sight tool
    http://www.warriortalk.com/showthread.php?21620-Zeroing-The-AK-Rifles

19. Aug 17, 2011 at 8:26 AM
    river rat 69

river rat 69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Orlando, Fla., Green side of the grass
    Vehicle:
    007, trd, sr5, fmf.
    NO Chrome,3" NFab's steps,TRD skid,Wet okie's.011 grill, k&n,5100's,All this comes right off when the old lady says let's go get a NEW ONE!!!
    OP, Check out pawn shops there are some good buys out there now, Just look for well kept low use.. Jim

Products Discussed in

To Top