1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Avic X710BT Installed

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by MWilliamson, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Nov 30, 2009 at 11:30 AM
    g8rdozer

g8rdozer New Member

Member:
    How does the AVIC 710BT compare to the AVIC F900BT? I have heard good things about the F900, but I am confused on which is better! Thanks!

2. Feb 20, 2010 at 11:11 PM
    krylon153

krylon153 Active Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    were you able to wire in the aux input to it by any chance?

3. Mar 22, 2010 at 2:47 PM
    MWilliamson

MWilliamson [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Pioneer AVIC X710BT
    i could have but I'm using the HU's aux with the ipod connector

4. Mar 24, 2010 at 3:59 PM
    billas333

billas333 They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    Awesome looking!

I am gonna be tackling this install this week. Upgrading from a pioneer single din HU.

If you could answer a few ?'s for me I would appreciate it as I have searched all over the forums and still not 100% sure.

Did you hook up the VSS wire for the gps?

Where did you mount your GPS antenna?

Do you have to connect the parking brake wire?

Thanks

5. Mar 25, 2010 at 6:32 PM
    MWilliamson

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Pioneer AVIC X710BT
    I believe I hooked up the VSS wire. I'm pretty sure I found a diagram on here that points out the right wire. I put the GPS antenna on the dashboard, left corner by the windshield. I grounded the parking brake wire so it works when I'm driving.

6. Sep 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM
    MWilliamson

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Pioneer AVIC X710BT
    After a year of having this head unit I thought I'd post an update. Still pretty happy with the head unit except for two things. 1: the map update disk costs $120! Portable GPS systems cost a heck of a lot less to update. I'm starting to get irritated with the bluetooth. It works fine, but even with my contact list uploaded to the unit, it doesn't show a name when someone calls, just a number. This annoys me b/c I don't remember phone numbers. When i make a call from my iphone, it just says unknown. When i take the time to go through the contact list and call a number from the list, it puts the name/number on the screen. I just don't see why the name won't show up on the screen if the numbers are stored in the system. Oh well, thats about it. I'm still happy with the audio and navigation.

7. Sep 21, 2010 at 4:51 PM
    billas333

billas333 They Still Love To Hate Me! - T.O.

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 Tacoma Sport
    Mods so far: Tube steps from toyota, Bed extender from toyota, Spare Tire lock, Sound System Makeover, Tacoma All-Weather heavy duty rubber floor mats. Rear TSB, Icon Coilovers w/ TC UCA's and 3inch rear block with rear 5100 bilstein shocks, Black Headlights, Grillcraft black grill, Devil Horns from Andres, Black Headlights, Chrome Liquid Metal Gatlins Wheels, 285/70R17 Nitto Tera Grapplers, Wet Okole Seat Covers! Seat Belt Chime Mod, Flowmaster 50 series dual exhaust, Debadged tailgate, TRD Decals, HID hi/low + fogs.
    To follow up on your update:

I have had my unit for about 6 months now I think. I also have an iphone and my bluetooth works pretty well. Sam issue as you though with names not coming up on incoming calls however I always have my phone in the lil tray next to the shifter so I can see who it is. Had some problems with bluetooth audio about a week ago but it is since working again.

Having an iphone I really do not use the GPS on this unit as much. I feel it is a hassle to plug in an address into the unit when I have already looked it up on my iphone. Also for the life of me I cannot figure out the Avic Feeds app for iphone.

Anyways I bought is mainly for better ipod control and for that I am very happy with it!

8. Sep 21, 2010 at 4:57 PM
    j0sh

j0sh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    '10 TRD Sport 4x4
    AFE Filter, TRD Catback
  9. Sep 22, 2010 at 7:33 AM
    MWilliamson

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Pioneer AVIC X710BT
    I don't think the avic feeds app works with the 710, just the 910 and one other one. Thanks for the marker tip, i've been looking for something!

10. Sep 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM
    lembowski

lembowski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Rolando, CA
    Vehicle:
    Jeeper Creeper
    Can you post that TRD wallpaper you have? I like that much better than the one I have on my Kenwood.

11. Sep 22, 2010 at 9:49 AM
    MyToyTaco

MyToyTaco ╒╪╕

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    wenatchee, wa
    Vehicle:
    09 DCLB 4x4
    I have an Avic-D3 and it does the same with the bluetooth, it's annoying..

12. Sep 22, 2010 at 9:53 AM
    sierrahsky

sierrahsky Expedition Style

Member:
    Nice and clean looking. Do you have any pics of the steering wheel controls? How difficult was the install? Does this have the ability to work with the backup camera?

13. Sep 22, 2010 at 10:34 AM
    MWilliamson

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Pioneer AVIC X710BT
    I found it online. I have something else now but I'll look to see if I still have the file.

14. Sep 22, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    MWilliamson

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Pioneer AVIC X710BT
    the steering wheel controls are the stock steering wheel controls. You have to get an interface to get them to work. Install was not too bad. Probably the hardest part was tapping into the speed sensor and finding the right wires to tap into for the steering wheel control interface. I don't think this has the ability to use with the stock back up camera. The camera hook up is RCA i believe. Its probably doable, but would require custom wiring. The biggest headache would be trying to get the unit in with the all the extra wiring taking up the space.

15. Sep 22, 2010 at 11:05 AM
    ruler

ruler Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal - Los Angeles - SGV
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma, TRD Sport, DC 4x4
    Fox Extended Travel Coilovers 2.5 (front), Fox 2.0 shocks (rear),Total Chaos UCA's, AllPro Expedition leaf pack, AllPro front plate style bumper,BHLM, GrillCraft MX series Grill, ATX Thug 17inch rims, Toyo Open Country MT (295,70,17), TRD CAI,Rear smoked LED tail lights, slimcubby HID Head Lights (50w 1200k), ADVMonster 60 Series 3600 Lumen LED Off Road Lights , Pioneer Avic-F700bt (navigation,head unit)
    I got the Avic F700bt , It's not bad except the touch screen has never been that responsive, and now all of a sudden now that my warranty just expired the Bluetooth don't work, happened after I installed the latest firmware from the Pioneer site. I checked AVIC411.com and it looks like this is a common software issue. Solution is to boot up with Windows CE and downgrade to the 2.0 firmware, then upgrade to the latest firmware which I'm not totally comfortable doing since I don't wanna end up with a brick if something goes wrong.

The other option would be to send it back to Pioneer and have them fix it which is gonna cost too much time and money. Anyone here have experience reprogramming the software for one of these ? I'm pretty sure I can do it but just kinda scared

16. Sep 22, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    MWilliamson

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Pioneer AVIC X710BT
    ^^^ never had to do that before

17. Sep 28, 2010 at 7:06 AM
    MWilliamson

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Pioneer AVIC X710BT
    Just a feeler, but I'm thinking about selling this head unit. I'm working out of my house and not traveling all over the place like i used to and rarely use the GPS. Anyone interested!?!?

18. Sep 28, 2010 at 7:29 AM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    i sent back my unopened pioneer to Amazon. I couldnt stand that in 2012 msn direct was going out and there would be no live traffic. I instead went with the top of the line JVC unit, yea i know JVC - it's gotten great reviews though and comes with free lifetime HD traffic and radio

Products Discussed in

To Top