1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

!!!NEW!!! Bakflip FIBERMAX Tonneau / Bed Cover

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by zham61, Mar 1, 2012.

?

Which Flip Cover do you like? Considering Price and Features

1. Bakflip Fibermax

65 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Bakflip G2

46 vote(s)
    27.5%
  3. Undercover Flex

28 vote(s)
    16.8%
  4. Bakflip F1

28 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Mar 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM
    zham61

zham61 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr.
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma TRDOR /Entune
    I'm not an expert or anything or even mechanically savvy, but I thought this might help anyone who is deciding on a flip style tonneau cover.

I was shopping around for new tonneau cover and it came down to a Bakflip Fibermax and a Undercover Flex. I couldn't find a Fibermax but I was able to check out the Flex. The opening mechanism on the passenger side is a bit awkward and I don't like how you can't rest the top against the cab of the truck. While both covers are new, the Bakflip Fibermax is the best things from the G2 and the F1, while the Flex is entirely new and built from the ground up and that makes me nervous about potential, unforeseen "bugs."

I decided to get a Fibermax because the price was so good and it's basically an F1 (The really expensive Bakflip cover)! Plus everyone who likes the regular G2 seems to love the G2, and this a hybrid version of the G2 and F1.

I'm so happy with my purchase.

The cover comes packaged really well.

I am not mechanically savvy by any definition as mentioned above, but the install is really cut and dry. Most of you won't benefit from the couple of pointers I'm about to give because you already know what you're doing. For those of us that don't know what to do, the instructions are pretty much worthless, so here is something to consider.

#1 Make sure when you're attaching the bed rails that you put the notch (there are three of them on a DBL Cab Short Bed) between the two washers on the brackets you slide into the rail system (see picture).

#2 Put the seal on the front of the truck bed first (see the Youtube video below, I didn't find this till after I installed it.)

#3 For a better seal make sure that the cover is as close to the cab as possible. You might have to force down the small panel, but as long as it closes it's for the best.

#Make sure when you're tightening your bed rails down you pay attention to where the seal is stopping. I noticed there is a little clearance and give as to where you tighten the bed rails (vertically). Make sure the seals aren't positioned over the textures where they might leak.

The install is so easy. I'm not a big guy and did the whole thing by myself. In about an hours time (honestly it would have been less but I had to take a couple of breaks to do other things).

If you're worried about the case being too heavy to take off by yourself... First, you almost never will because you have your whole bed with this cover and Second, it literally takes me 4 minutes to unhook the locking handles, take it off, and carry it up 3 flights of stairs to my condo.

I love the cover, it's light but sturdy and feels more rugged to me than the Undercover Flex. Between the G2 and the Flex, get the Flex. Between the Flex and the Fibermax, get the Fibermax!!!

The best part about the cover is the price I paid! I had to do a little shopping around, asking about group buys etc. The best deal I found was this guy named Scott that hooked me up at $650 with FREE SHIPPING and NO TAX (SHORT BED ONLY, LONG BED IS MORE)! This was better than the group buy prices! We got to chatting about places I did my research and I mentioned our forum. After shooting the breeze for a while I told my buddy would be interested too. He said to just mention "Tacoma World Price" and he'll give my friends the same deal! You're all my friends :D Haha. I don't know how long this will last but I would jump on it if you're thinking about a bed cover!

Give him a call
    1-800-388-8637 xt1167 mention Tacoma World to get the deal. And please, for Pete's sake, don't beat him up anymore on price. On the Weathertech forum we lost a couple of deals because people still want to squeeze a couple more dollars out of these guys. Don't blow it for the rest of us!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAZPW3EmuE4&list=PL45E4D95232AFAE55&index=4&feature=plpp_video

***This video is for the G2, but the installation is very similar so I thought it would be helpful (as it would have been for me if I would have found it before installing my cover).

IMG_6327.jpg
    IMG_6329.jpg
    IMG_6336.jpg
    IMG_6339.jpg
    IMG_6343.jpg

Pirhett likes this.
  2. Mar 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    NEAScott

NEAScott Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    2014 Chevrolet Impala Limited
    Wow .. You said you were writing up a quick review when you were checking on the tailgate handle, but I certainly wasn't expecting a book.. LOL.

Great to see it installed and that you are happy with it.

And yes, ZHAM61 did sufficiently beat me down on the price, quite brutally in fact. Not to mention, I also got in trouble for being on the clock for an extra hour talking about the parts and prices. Credit goes to him more than anything for bringing me here and setting you guys up with good pricing.

NOTE .. Slight correction on the NO TAX thing .. Sorry to the Kentucky members here, but I have to charge it.

3. Mar 1, 2012 at 1:52 PM
    tenui

tenui Well-Known Member

Member:
    I am almost ready to pull the trigger on this. So far it is exactly what I have been looking for. My only concern is the tailgate corners. It looks like from the video and the still shot that the end/edge of the frame rail is exposed. Can they be sealed some how or capped?

Also, does water get in at the tailgate corner or is there sufficient overlap on the rear corners?

Overall looks like a great product!

-john

4. Mar 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    ross123

ross123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fort bragg
    Let us know how its holding up in a few weeks.I'm very interested in seeing how you like it after some use

5. Mar 1, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    i have the g2, and yes there's enough overlap i never have to worry about water from rain or snow, and i was in colorado a couple weeks ago with near 2ft of snow then melting, and it was dry as a desert, been in rain spells that last a few days and it's been dry as a desert

if i have to list a con, it would be the little bars that hold the cover up during low speeds when it's folded up, they are a bit flimsy in connection that it snapped at the base, but i dont use that feature at all

6. Mar 1, 2012 at 2:08 PM
    lucky73

lucky73 Limited

Member:
    mine arrives tomorrow and sadly i paid more than you, this post is a week late

my old pace edwards metal rolling tonneau is for sale, BTW

7. Mar 1, 2012 at 2:10 PM
    brny67

brny67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Moyock NC
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport A/C
    does not look like there is a lock and key??is there one?

8. Mar 1, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    aznutx

aznutx Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 White TRD
    put on a pop and lock, and you got yourself a locking bed, though some people have found out and you can just use a coat hanger to pull on the latch to open it up

9. Mar 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM
    bizjettech

bizjettech Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    I am a past owner of a Bakflip F1. I recently purchased a Undercover Flex. Very happy with it. It is exactly the same material as the Bakflip F1 with some nice improvements. I paid $726.00 including shipping to my door. Very well packaged with good instructions and a full 3 year warranty. After comparing it to the F1 I'd say I would give the F1 a 7 out of 10 and the Flex a 8 out of 10. You cant go wrong with either one, but the Flex is considerably less $$ than the F1. I'm happy with it!

10. Mar 1, 2012 at 3:00 PM
    NEAScott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Yes, the Flex is less that the F1. But really we are comparing the Fibermax here. The Flex was priced intentionally to push the customer to shop by price first, and ask questions about the differences later if at all.

Price is always going to be the deciding factor. If I chose to do so, I can sell either brand for any dollar amount. Neither company restricts my selling price, only what I advertise them for. I have comparisons on both covers from both sides if anyone would like them.

11. Mar 1, 2012 at 3:09 PM
    bizjettech

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    The undercover flex and the F1 are essentially the same cover. Made from the same material, which I might add, is much stronger than the Fibermax. I admit it is not a fair to compare the F1 and Flex to the fibermax. That is why the fibermax is less $$ than the F1 and the Flex. It is not the same material.

BTW, we are comparing all 3 !! - see the poll results above

12. Mar 1, 2012 at 3:26 PM
    jaw154

jaw154 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Quicksand TRD Off road
    Soon...
    I had a backflip on my truck and I love the idea of it, but mine leaked like crazy in the corners. I returned it and have been skeptical to try another one. I was really disappointed that it had problems but maybe I had a lemon.

13. Mar 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM
    Squirrellydw

Squirrellydw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    This looks like what I want. Couple questions.

How easy can it come off?

When it's only partially folded, one or two sections does it get secured down anyway. If I'm driving on the highway can it flip back?

Someone mentioned about the posts broke when it was folded up against the cab, are they safe to use at highway speed or are they not that strong?

14. Mar 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    NEAScott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    The Fibermax is the F1 top panel, and the aluminum underside from the G2/HD.

15. Mar 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    NEAScott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    1. Simple to take off. All you do is remove the hardware shown @ 1:15-1:30 in the video.

2. There are small D-rings on the underside of the panels that allow you to use a bungie to keep it secure if partially opened.

3. Never had this come up until the post above, certainly a first for me. Not much I can say as I have not seen his cover, or spoke to him about it.

16. Mar 1, 2012 at 3:40 PM
    bizjettech

Member:
    Sunny Florida
    The Flex and the F1 are stated to support 400 lbs on top of the cover.
    What does the fibermax support?

17. Mar 1, 2012 at 4:00 PM
    NEAScott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    300 per the Bak site.

18. Mar 1, 2012 at 4:39 PM
    Squirrellydw

Squirrellydw Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 PreRunner TRD Sport
    Thanks, with number 3, is it safe to use at highway speeds this way?

I also like the ROLLBAK Tonneau

19. Mar 1, 2012 at 4:55 PM
    NEAScott

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Toledo, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Shoot me your email, I will send you a spec list on the Bakflip and the retractables.

20. Mar 1, 2012 at 8:45 PM
    zham61

zham61 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dr.
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    '12 Tacoma TRDOR /Entune
    So here is the back of the cover. I don't know if you can tell by the pictures, but the seals work great. We had 6 inches of snow and a bunch of rain this week and I haven't gotten a drop in the bed. I even ran it through the Supersonic Car Wash with no problems.

I did notice that when I was putting the cover on that you have to seat the bed rails with the seals in mind. It's not very hard, just look and see where they sit relative to the textures. And when I say seals, I mean the rubber like edging around the edge of the cover.

Another thing about this cover that I liked over the Flex, I can rest the cover on the back of the cab if I want to and secure it down tighter than I could with the Flex. And with the three included stoppers I'm not even worried about scratching the truck.

Also, this cover doesn't lock, I ordered the color keyed Pop N Lock. It's on its way!

How this helps! I have no complaints so far.

IMAG0006.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0008.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top