1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Boat trailering issue

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Brian.in.FL, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Aug 5, 2013 at 6:12 PM
    Brian.in.FL

Brian.in.FL [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    My truck is a 2013 4x4 DC SR5 (4.0L) Auto 5 speed
    I just took delivery of this boat and trailer on Saturday. The weight listed is 3,400 lbs with motor and I have an aluminu double axle trailer with 4 wheel surge brakes. I will get it weighed soon. For guessing purposes I dont think its much over 4,500 and and at most 4,700lbs loaded, light fuel. I live in NW FL and it is flat and straight.

Issue: The truck will not go above 60 mph and stays in 4th the whole time. Sometimes it holds 3rd above 3,000 rpms when accelerating. It pulls it out of the water no problem at all in 2wd.

I know I dont need to be going above 60 but it should be able to.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Truck and Boat.jpg

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  2. Aug 5, 2013 at 7:45 PM
    smd3

smd3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Keep the truck in 4, not D. With that load you don't want it trying to get 5th.

I would think you'd be able to get 65 or so in 4th, but if it kicks down to 3rd it'll hold it. I found it won't shift back to 4th until it can switch to 4th and lockup the converter.

I'd get that thing weighed, I bet it's a bit heavier than you think. And factor in any gear and extra passengers too!

People get so wrapped in the max tow rating from the MFR, but there's a lot to that. You should really be looking at the gvwr, and where you stand on that.

3. Aug 6, 2013 at 6:35 AM
    Brian.in.FL

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    smd3 - I will be getting it weighed as soon as I can. I did have a full tank of fuel in the truck.

Is it better to hold the lower gear and higher rpms vs. higher gear lower rpms?

4. Aug 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM
    smd3

smd3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    What you should look out for is the torque converter unlocking/locking. When the converter unlocks the transmission temp climbs quickly.

You can tell the converter is unlocked because it'll kick down a couple hundred RPM, but not a whole gear.

I preferred to keep the truck to 60 or below in 3rd, which would keep it under 3500rpm. If it wouldn't shift to 4th when I hit 60 I'd usually just slide the shifter to 3 until things leveled out.

I hauled a 22', ~3800lb travel trailer through some pretty hilly terrain and usually I could keep it in 4th until I hit a long hill or 3-4% grade. Granted you're pulling more, but it's flat and I would think the boat would have a bit less aerodynamic drag than a TT.

Regardless, what you described is normal for the truck.

5. Aug 6, 2013 at 7:06 PM
    Brian.in.FL

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    smd3 - Thanks for the info. I am a little happy to hear this is normal. I am not to worried but I will keep an eye on things. At most I will travel 30 miles to the ramp and usually under 10 so not a crisis. Thanks again for the info.

6. Aug 9, 2013 at 9:50 AM
    Brian.in.FL

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    Just had my boat and trailer weighed, 4,720lbs. Dual axle aluminum trailer, Boat with fuel and motor. It is a couple hudred over what I figured. I am getting use to it trailering.

My question to all you fine folks is do you think this much weight will cause problems in the future or should the Tacoma handle it? Trailering on flat road roads, no trips over 40 mile each way. Maybe an occasional trip of 75 miles away.

Thank you,
    Brian

7. Aug 10, 2013 at 6:28 AM
    smd3

smd3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    If that's all you tow I would do it, it'll be fine. Keep the transmission in 4 and I'd stay under 70. Maintain the truck at earlier intervals, especially the trams and rear diff.

Everyone seems to suggest relocating the rear diff breather if you're submerging the rear axle.

The trailer has brakes, right? Stopping would be a concern with that weight.

8. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:32 AM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    Do you have the factory tow package? If not, I think you're pulling too much weight - especially in Florida heat.

9. Aug 10, 2013 at 7:56 AM
    1TUFFTRD

1TUFFTRD WTF

Member:
    out and about building powerlines
    Vehicle:
    06 AC with a skewp
    06 With a Skewp.
    Owner manual states not to tow in over drive.

10. Aug 10, 2013 at 9:49 AM
    Brian.in.FL

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    Thanks all. I do have the factory tow package and the trailer does have brakes on both axles. Because of the longer tounge I don't have to submerge the rear end. It stops pretty well. I took the
    Bimini off to go out in the gulf today. It trailered a lot better. I use tmy Taco to commute and tow the boat and that's it. I am less concerned now. I will tell you milage is not good.

11. Aug 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    MadToy

MadToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntersville, NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Midnight Blue TRD
    OME 886, Dakar leafs, LR UCA's, 16x8.5 Level 8 ZX, 315 MTR Kevlar, All-Pro sliders, BudBuilt skids, Undercoverhwms winch mount, Warn M8000 with synthetic rope, ATO Hi-Lift bed mounts, Diff locker override, Hitch harness relocated to bumper, Undercover bed cover, Gromm Aux adapter, Grillcraft grill, DT pipe bombs, Custom Magnaflow exhaust, Brute Force HC bumper, TRD Supercharger
    Oh. You were pulling it with the Bimini up? That's like running with a parachute on your back :)

I think most Bimini tops are rated for around 35 mph too....

12. Aug 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    Brian.in.FL

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab 4x4
    I had it up not opened. I really was suprised how much drag ot does cause. Even while on the water I noticed a difference today.

13. Aug 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM
    stocksport

stocksport Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2011 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    Blacked out emblems, Weathertech liners, LED interior, tag, and 3rd brake light, reverse light mod, rear TSB, rear diff. breather, added black factory running boards, OR tow hook, and rhino lined UWS low profile box.
    I'd definitely keep it in 4th, but you should be able to go above 60 no problem. Not that I recommend towing at high speeds, but the truck not being able to break 60 doesn't sound right. Might want to make sure the brakes aren't dragging if you're still having that problem now that you've removed the bimini.

To Top