1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New boat

Discussion in 'Towing' started by tacoma89, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Jan 31, 2012 at 4:46 PM
    Tigahshark

Tigahshark Senior NEWBIE

Member:
    First Name:
    Isaac
    On a volcano, literally!
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD off road 4X4
    Tint Weathertech floor liner, weathertech window visor Roll n lock tonneau cover Rubber bed mat Smoked license plate covers
    :eek: not my kind of boat but that's bad ass!

2. Feb 23, 2012 at 4:17 PM
    Skysurfer2010

Skysurfer2010 New Member

Member:
    Philly
    Vehicle:
    07 DC LB TRD Sport
    I've had my eye on this boat since it came out. I finally pulled the trigger at the boat show this year on one in black.

I'm having some concerns with the taco towing it adequately. I usually do one long road trip per year and routinely will tow up to 120 miles. Do you have any concerns? I'm contemplating something larger, but it also has to be a daily driver so I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I figure the weight of the boat and trailer fully loaded will be around 5,500lbs. Don't forget about the weight of the fresh water shower either!

Btw the trailer comes with surge brakes on one axle. You won't need a brake controller.

3. Feb 23, 2012 at 4:57 PM
    tacoma89

tacoma89 [OP] Money Pit

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Richmond, Va
    Vehicle:
    08 sport dc lb
    Check build in sig.
    Saw the thing about the trailer. o well

Don't plan on using the shower.

I am not concerned about towing it, my trip is about 45 min to the lake and I used to tow a 21 ft chaparral that weighted about the same with a jeep grand Cherokee. If not we have a suburban that will get the job done.

We will be picking it up in April so i will let you know how the taco does

4. Feb 23, 2012 at 5:19 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    well I have towed many things over the years with pick-ups and its good that you know how to tow, its funny but so many people just hook-up and jump behind the wheel with out a clue.
    I would think the truck will be fine, not a long haul trip at all, jus tdont get in a hurry and jerk things around.
    dexter axle engineer told me a long time ago that the axle cap. is rated at a highway speed of 55. so for every 10mph over you go you loose 10%cap. and for every 10 slower you gain 10%
    I have seem many boat trailer, and its funny that very $$$$ boat is sitting really on a cheap trailer. watch the maintenance on the trailer axles those little hubs will be spinning fast and they do get hot.
    and that is a hydraulic surge act. uses standard brake fld.
    don't jack-knife it, that is the fastest way to destroy one,
    and have fun this summer and stay out of trouble!

5. Feb 23, 2012 at 6:09 PM
    tacoma89

tacoma89 [OP] Money Pit

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Richmond, Va
    Vehicle:
    08 sport dc lb
    Check build in sig.
    good comments...thanks

6. Feb 23, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    Robertgeejr1

Robertgeejr1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Aorora, Ill, yeah!
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma SR5 4x4
    I have done all the hi-pro mods for a life time, since I got this truck at a great price, I will be happy with showroom new.
    well my uncle built equipment trailer for 35 years, 6ton, 9ton, 20ton, ect and I worked for him for 15years delv. them from NC. I went everywhere, and I have seen plenty of boats and trailers broke down on the side of the highway esp. in florida and esp everywhere in the summer. when the highway gets hot is like a oven and it just burns up those little tires. just take it easy, back in the poor days after Bush 1, we got a basic 94 ford f150 put one hell of a gooseneck ball in the bed, and hitch to frame on back, and I pulled a 10ton gooseneck with 2 small trailers to florida, went over truckstop scales for the fun of it and our total load, ass and all was 13,300lbs. and it was the straight 6 and 5 speed.

Products Discussed in

To Top