1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New bulbs for my head lights

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jackrules, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Nov 26, 2010 at 10:48 AM
    jackrules

jackrules [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport LB
    I got my HID's for my BMW e36 at DDM tuning and I got my M bumper there, it's a great company

I haven't gotten anything for my taco there yet though.... when you say HID kit, does that mean it comes with new housing or do you have to use another houseing?

My BMW HID kit came pre installed in a housing that i really liked, would it be the same for the Taco

2. Nov 26, 2010 at 11:29 AM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    He's probably using it in the regular halogen housing. Fine if you're not worried about blinding people.

As far as upgrading wiring, I'd never be comfortable myself running anything with much higher wattage on stock wiring. Even with an HID kit lots of people will say they run them just off the stock wiring with no problems but personally I'd never run one without a cheap relay harness to pull power from the battery instead of through the stock wiring.

3. Nov 26, 2010 at 6:35 PM
    samhain

samhain Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hilton Head, SC
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma SR5
    I'm running Phillips Power Plus in my headlights and Noyka yellow in my fogs. I'm very happy with the light output. I had HID's in my last car, which were better, however, the ballasts or blubs don't last over 12 months. So you are always buying new parts.

For those who say that HIDs are blinding and that the light output is a scattered mess in a halogen assembly, I couldn't disagree more. I personally find halogen much more distracting at night mainly because of the brightness of the blub. HIDs come in cooler temperatures that I find more soothing on the eyes. And they light more of the road, which is safer than halogen.

4. Nov 26, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    guyjones10

guyjones10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have silverstars in the headlights and fogs. also have piaa 520 ATP driving lights tied into brights some they come on automatically along with foglight mod. they put out plenty of light.

5. Nov 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    builthatch

builthatch MiG-21 superfan

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony Mandarich
    near the ocean, NJ
    Vehicle:
    '11 SSM SR5 6 speed 4x4
    Hella DOT wattage high performance 9003 headlight bulbs, Optilux by Hella XY h10 fog light bulbs, Suntek HP50 tint, AFE Stage II Si intake
    well, i got my truck tonight and i put the hella DOT wattage high perf bulbs in and they are what i expected - same light i got out of my montero and wife's Si. always liked 'em, still do.

i do notice that this truck off the lot has the low beams aimed pretty high. a little too high IMO.

6. Nov 27, 2010 at 1:22 AM
    Rocko

Rocko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    2024 TRD Auto
    Sivlerstar Ultra or Phillips extreeme, I have used both and they are noticeably better than stock. It is a cheap and quick upgrade that makes a pretty decent improvement, just don't expect a miracle.

7. Dec 6, 2010 at 10:46 PM
    tacopyro

tacopyro Forever learning...

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    01 Taco Pre SR5 V6 - 4WD
    Roll n Lock Cover and Stainless Step sides. New Mods. AFE Air Filter, PS Mag-Filter, Bilstein HD rear and 5100s Front. Michelins LTX MS2. Taurus E-Fan with FK50. Tundra Brake Upgrade. External Tranny Cooler. HO-Alt CS144 Mod, OMD Leaf Springs. Bull Bar. 4WD VF3AM Transfer Case, ADD/Manual Hubs. Supercharger with URD 7th injector. 4wd conversion complete Future Mods. rear sway bar, box the rear frame. I Love my Taco!
    I have been using Philips XtremePower for more than 2 years now on my 00 Taco. its definitely better than stock. I tried the Osram Nightbreakers on my 01 civic but it died in just about a year. i switched it to XtremePower and its a lot better. altho 05Moose is correct. it depends on the headlight unit. it works great on my taco. but not so well with my 01 civic, on low is ok, but High is pretty scattered. but you definitely can read all the signs on the road with these.

Products Discussed in

To Top