1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Bushings for Light Racing UCA's.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by pAP, Mar 9, 2012.

1. May 26, 2012 at 7:54 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    I thought so. If she hadn't have seen it I might have tried to use it anyways... but for safety I had to get new ones...

2. May 27, 2012 at 5:41 AM
    DR Da_da

DR Da_da Infrequent Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    '06 4x4 V6 TRD Offroad auto access cab
    ToyTec ultimate lift, LR UCAs, TRD gen 1 CAI, TRD cat-back, bull bar, anytime fog lights, lighted 4x4 switch, factory SS step tubes, factory interior lighting package, factory VIP 3200 alarm, FJ TRD center caps, rear diff breather relocate, tint, bug deflector, Weather Tech liners
    When cutting out the old style bushings on otherwise brand new LR UCAs, I also cut too far through the pressed-in sleeves. I ended up with little slits/grooves in the UCAs' bushing housings even though I went slow and used a small pneumatic hack saw and a small manual hack saw. I plan on filling in the grooves with JB Weld, sanding it all smooth, repainting, installing the new style bushings, then riding! I really see no compromise in structural integrity.

The folks who used sawzalls to take out their old bushings must have reamed the shizzle out of their UCAs! With as slow as I went with the small hack saw blades, and still managed to cut into the UCAs, I can see a sawzall being overkill!

3. May 27, 2012 at 7:17 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    I grazed the housing very slightly on one side. Nothing worth noting. Many years of experience with a sawzal though. :D it takes a very steady hand and good eye for sure. If you don't have a reciprocating saw or are skeptical of your skills, you can use a hack saw too.

Good luck with the install!

4. May 27, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    nfs257

nfs257 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    She gone
    I cut 1/4" thru the actual arm on one side down the sleeve...

5. May 27, 2012 at 10:03 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Any of y'all grease your balls joints? If so what do you pack inside that boot? Ive been squirting tri flow dry lube but I'd like to just pack something permanent in there

6. May 27, 2012 at 10:13 PM
    KalamaKid

KalamaKid Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Oregon
    same shit as everyone else
    Shit squeaks like a bitch after a few weekss

7. May 28, 2012 at 5:30 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    ARB locker and OBA, All Pro front & rear bumper, All Pro IFS skid & modified t-case skid, Custom Trans Skid., 4x Innovations sliders, Custom tire carrier/bed bars, Warn Winch, Fox 2.5" Front coilover, Walker Evans 2.5" rear Shock, All pro Leaf, All Pro U-bolt flip, Baja Designs lights, PIA 510 lights, TRD exhaust cut back, Doug Thorley Pipe Bomb
    I used mobile 1 grease because it was already in the gun. You will need to take the boot off to full pack it.

8. Jun 1, 2012 at 12:26 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    SPC claims the ball joint is sealed. Can squirting some grease inside the boot help with anything? Im currently experiencing some squeaks that may be from less than a year old ball joints. I've also got a new set of bushings waiting to install, just in case the squeaks are bushing related.

9. Jun 1, 2012 at 1:20 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    Yup. They are sealed with the boot. Just remove boot, pack with grease and seal back up.

10. Jun 1, 2012 at 3:44 PM
    bakerla

bakerla Man, Myth, Legend

Member:
    First Name:
    Lyndall
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    '10 4wd OR
    CBI Moab front and CBI Trailrider rear, Budbuilt skids, Shrockworks sliders, OME Dakars w/ OME Nitros, OME 886x w/ OME Nitros, Light Racing UCAs, stainless steel brakelines F/R, Cobra 75 w/ Firestik antenna, 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx on 1st gen alloys, Weathertech liners, Engo 9000S winch, stickars and other shit.
    I asked tech support about that and they recommended I just replace the ball joints

11. Jun 1, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    The BJ should only be replaced if it has play and/or worn out. No reason to replace if it just needs some lube. I would pop it out and have a look. Very easy to take out.

12. Jun 26, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    06taco

06taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 4-door TRD Sport
    *TRD Supercharger *3" OME lift kit *Dakar rear leaf springs *Total Chaos UCA *TJM T15 Plate Bumper *TJM Stealth 9000 winch
    I'm not gonna lie, I start the process of replacing the UCA bushings and what a PITA!!! Only removed one sleeve out of one side of the UCA and even with cutting the metal from the outside if the bushing I still can get it all out! At this point I'm no sure what to do, I took it to a shop before I started this project and they passed stating they thought it wouldn't be worth trying to replace without damaging the UCA.

I've stopped working on it for the night and I am going back to the drawling board to re think this. Don't want to damage the UCA too much. Any other suggestions on removing the old bushings? I drilled the rubber, took the dremel to it and then a mixer of sharp knives to cut out the metal sleeve. Then I finally pounded out the metal sleeve with a hammer. After that I took a sawzal and carefully cut the metal outer sleeve but was unable to pound it out. Thinking about taking the air chisel to it but I've already chipped up the UCA paint and it was starting to piss me off so I stopped.

13. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:12 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Air chisel might push it out. Might be a good excuse to add a press to your set of tools :p

14. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:32 AM
    TacomaRockStar

TacomaRockStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LUCA
    Lacey Twp, NJ
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Toytec 3" lift with Bilstein all around, LR UCAs, AAL. Custom decals, short antenna, weathertech floor liners, Nfab Steps, Custom Emblem, LED lights all around, HID.
    well I ordered the LR UCAs from group buy but when I called for shipping info they said they are waiting on new batch! Hopefully I get the upgraded set .:notsure:

15. Jun 27, 2012 at 8:26 AM
    06taco

06taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 4-door TRD Sport
    *TRD Supercharger *3" OME lift kit *Dakar rear leaf springs *Total Chaos UCA *TJM T15 Plate Bumper *TJM Stealth 9000 winch
    Lol, that's what I was looking at online last night! Might try and go to auto zone or one of those stores to see if I can borrow a UCA bushing removal tool?

16. Jun 27, 2012 at 8:48 AM
    pAP

pAP [OP] ==========

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    11 Tacoma SR5
    You will certainly have the new spec ride bushings with your set. You will love the adjustability of the UCAs. If you can, bring the truck up to Dave Tarantino at ETD in Denville. He's not afraid to adjust the UCAs. Its worth the drive. Call on him in the NJ thread.

It sounds like you didn't cut the entire metal sleeve all the way through. Even if there is a little left, you will have a tough time bangin it out. Did you cut just the outside lip or did you cut the inside too?

I used a recuperating saw which made quick work of it but can easily damage the housing if you are not careful. You can also use a hack saw... Disconnect the blade on the hack saw, slip the blade though the house and reconnect. Cut away. This seems to be the most careful method.

17. Jun 27, 2012 at 9:10 AM
    TacomaRockStar

TacomaRockStar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    LUCA
    Lacey Twp, NJ
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    Toytec 3" lift with Bilstein all around, LR UCAs, AAL. Custom decals, short antenna, weathertech floor liners, Nfab Steps, Custom Emblem, LED lights all around, HID.

18. Jun 27, 2012 at 3:06 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    Im looking at buying a set of LR UCAs in the next month or so, have they upgraded the ones they currently make with the new parts yet?

19. Jun 27, 2012 at 3:31 PM
    06taco

06taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 4-door TRD Sport
    It sounds like you didn't cut the entire metal sleeve all the way through. Even if there is a little left, you will have a tough time bangin it out. Did you cut just the outside lip or did you cut the inside too?

I used a recuperating saw which made quick work of it but can easily damage the housing if you are not careful. You can also use a hack saw... Disconnect the blade on the hack saw, slip the blade though the house and reconnect. Cut away. This seems to be the most careful method.[/QUOTE]

I thought I cut all the way through but I was worried that I would cut all the way through. I think I might try the hack saw method just to be safe. Has anyone used the UCA bushing removal tool auto parts stores have? I ask that because you can barrow them for free from. Anyone have experience with them?

20. Jun 27, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    06taco

06taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brendan
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4 4-door TRD Sport

I used a recuperating saw which made quick work of it but can easily damage the housing if you are not careful. You can also use a hack saw... Disconnect the blade on the hack saw, slip the blade though the house and reconnect. Cut away. This seems to be the most careful method.[/QUOTE]

You could be right, I was reluctant to cut to far with the sawzal. I think I might try the hack saw method to be safe. I saw that autozone will let you borrow a UCA bushing removal tool for free, has anyone had any experiences with a tool like that?

Sorry for the double post I thought the first one didn't go through!

Products Discussed in

To Top