1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Buyer Question: 2002 V6 4x4 TRD 58k miles

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Gwion, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Apr 9, 2010 at 7:50 PM
    Skolfoppa

Skolfoppa Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    Black 3.4 TRD
    BFG TAKOs, Deck Plate, k&n, Bullie w/ PIAA 520s, Alpined w/ 8" sub, All Mobil 1 synthetic.
    Cash is king with car dealers. Sounds like a decent truck. If you can get access to service records, do it. Give her a good test drive. Check tires, frame and underbody, tranny. Was it used to tow anything through the mts? That taco is fairly easy to wrench on, but make sure the drivetrain is solid and with all that cash, maybe negotiate an extended warranty. The ARE topper is a nice added feature. Good luck. Skol.

2. Apr 9, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    HeadlampRevamp

HeadlampRevamp Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Buckner, ky
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma SR5 TRD
    Sounds like a fair price considering it comes with the topper. I got my Tacoma a month ago from a private seller for $12.8k. Its an 03' Ext Cab, TRD 4x4, Silver with 55k on the clock. When I went to get my loan they said it retailed for 17k. So I think I got a pretty good deal on it. Shoot for 12k, but they'll prob end up meeting you in the middle, which I would still say is a pretty fair price.

3. Apr 9, 2010 at 9:32 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    I just had a similar situation. I just bought an 02 auto v6 sr5 trd v6 w 30k miles. The sticker was $17,900. I ended getting it for 14,800. If it is exactly what you want and if fits your needs go for it. If I did not have mine, I would be buying the one you are looking at. That toyota will not be there long, it seems to me that some people are not participating in the economy. There always people out there with money, if its what you want get it.
    But make sure you start at about $12,000 out the door.

Keep us posted, and welcome to TW.

4. Apr 10, 2010 at 8:56 AM
    stro908

stro908 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Sparta,NJ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 4banger man.
    I think "12k out the door" is pretty unrealistic... depending what the tax rate is, you have roughly $1000- in tax and fees...doubt the dealer will sell it for $11k to get you to $12k OTD.
    I would not wait too long if you want the truck.

5. Apr 10, 2010 at 10:58 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

I screwed around about a week or so and lost the deal. I always say that there is always another deal but in the case of the first gens that might not be true. I want a low mileage original condition 4x4 first gen regular or extended cab. I sold my 2003 Dodge diesel 4x4 which I didn't need anymore and need a small 4x4 for my summer place in WNC( very steep and rough driveway).
    I'll keep looking but might have to spring for a second gen which is rumored to be available as an auto 4x4 reg cab.

6. Apr 10, 2010 at 1:09 PM
    RideFast

RideFast on the flats.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma
    12k out the door is realistic. You never know what they have into the truck, I am guessing they lubed the person that traded their truck in for a new one. That 1st gen will not be there long.

7. Apr 10, 2010 at 4:56 PM
    Gwion

Gwion [OP] Member

Member:
    Hey folks,

I appreciate all the great advice and tips, especially the Galves site!
    The abovementioned truck was sold an hour before I had gotten there to test drive it. It had been on the lot four days, so if anyone is looking for a 1st-gen Tacoma, I don't know if that's a standard stay, but man, I was surprised it took less than a week to sell in this recession. :eek:

Course, I'm a noob at all things 'vehicle purchase.'

The retail markup seems insane. I figure if I find a nice Tacoma-owning bloke to give cash to directly, everyone will be happier!
    On that retail note, I was wondering what you wise ones think on this vehicle:

2004 XtraCab V6 TRD 4x4, 48k miles, $19k. It has fairly large scratches in its non-lined bed (exposing steel), the leafs seemed a little squashy (I don't know if lose is normal?) and there was some rust on the frame underneathe the vehicle. The differentials had rust on them, the exhaust system was rusty, and there were freckles of rust on the frame and parts of the underside of the engine block. I'm thinking $19k is a bit excessive, what say you?

I'm going to visit some forum posts to keep on educating myself. You folks are fantastic - thank you for all the help and knowledge you've given!

8. Apr 10, 2010 at 5:51 PM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

Gwoin,
    The prices on the first gens do seem high but I guess that is good and bad.

9. Apr 10, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    Gwion

Gwion [OP] Member

Member:
    Barnone -
    For sure, and quality is always better than quantity. I don't mind, perhaps I am just skewed with my overall dealer inexperience. My present vehicle is an 80s corolla and the one before that was a '76 Landcruiser (oh how I miss The Beast), both purchased direct from prior owners. All that inflation generated by fed-reserve pumping out the Fiat currency tends to alter my perspective, too :)

10. Apr 10, 2010 at 6:29 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    dammit.. why did toyota made the 1st gen so damn desirable.. if it was only desirable for me.. I could have bought mine for much cheaper.

11. Apr 10, 2010 at 10:17 PM
    RockyTacoma

RockyTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dojo
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 tacoma trd
    stock
    in colorado, 1st gen TRD goes for premium $$$$. it seems buyers here want TRD spec.

12. Apr 12, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    stro908

stro908 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Sparta,NJ
    Vehicle:
    SR5 TRD 4banger man.
    looks like it was QUITE unrealistic...these things are hot! When I bought mine (private) I could not logistically pick it up for 2 weeks. Needless to say I was VERY nervous the guy was gonna re-neg on the deal, but thankfully he kept his word...very uncommon these days. He had about 10 phone calls in the time he held if for me.

13. May 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM
    azcarguy

azcarguy Member

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Taco
    I realize the original post was over a month ago, but if anyone here is like me and has been searching for a clean low mile Gen 1 Tacoma for a while (I've been at it for about a year) they'll surely find recent data helpful.

I just picked up a truck that was to my spec (2004 x-tra cab, 4x4, TRD Silver/Grey with less than 50K miles) after looking for a year or so. I paid 17.9K for it and it came with a few extras, some of which I'll keep and some of which are on their way out as soon as the new goodies arrive.

In the course of looking for my truck I scoured eBay, dealers, national websites and at the end of the dat the truck I found was only 90 miles from me! It seemed that every time I came across one that I intended to buy it sold before I managed to call, sold before I could bid or had some odd "story". But patience does pay off so good luck in the hunt for yours.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top