1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New, Buying Opinions of '10 Taco Help Please

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by whatdaproblemis0, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Dec 24, 2009 at 7:01 PM
    whatdaproblemis0

whatdaproblemis0 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Benito
    Im looking into a new Taco. I have own a ford in the past and I do love the F150 but would rather get a tacoma due to gas mileage looks size and etc. I have taken pictures of various tacoma and their sticker prices. I want a 4x4 Double Cab but 3 trucks vary in price. Can someone look at these and tell me which they would choose. I know nothing about the TRD packages but they all have different versions of them. I plan on lifting in the future but thats about all I can think of. I also need 4x4 for the snow. Thanks for the help!
    So I guess really I have three questions
    1. Which truck would you choose(not by color but by options)
    2. Where would you start for a offering price
    3. Whats the most would pay

Sorry theres alot of pictures but I couldnt fit everything on my camera.

Truck 1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Truck 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Truck 3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Truck 4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dec 25, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    whatdaproblemis0

Member:
    First Name:
    Benito
    Just thought Id bump this up. Im cleaning up the Mustang today and going to the dealer tomorrow. The black book for my stang is 18-22000 and like I said im going there tomorrow. I own the stang outright so hopefully Ill get a good price for it. Like I said im not sure how toyota dealers differ from gm,ford etc but they are a dealer so they should work with me right?

3. Dec 25, 2009 at 8:35 AM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    Very difficult to tell from the pictures. Trucks 1 and 3 are TRD Sports. Truck 2 is a TRD Off Road and Truck 4 looks to be an SR5. I am not sure of the body configurations of any of the trucks except number 4 which seems to be a dbl cab long bed. I am assuming the TRD Sports are and the TRD OF is a double cab Short Bed? Do some more research to determine the exact options you want and then determine the price point. Merry Xmas.

4. Dec 25, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    18seeds

18seeds Well-Known Member

Member:

I agree. 1 and 3 are sports. 2 is offroad and 4 ?????

I think you will be more happy with a sport or offroad. I went with the sport

5. Dec 25, 2009 at 8:56 AM
    saf023

saf023 Well-Known Member

Member:
    East Coast
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Like any dealer, you already know they are not going to give you what your Mustang is worth on trade. Especially if they think you've got your hair on fire to buy a truck - play poker.

The good news is if you go with the TRD package, either Sport or Off-road, you are going to get pretty much everytning Toyota has in the way of factory options. When it comes to looks, my choice is the Sport version. I bought the 4X4 for bad weather and what-ifs but if I were interested in off-road as a hobby I'd probably take a harder look at the Off-road option.

Look at it this way, dollar for dollar and when you look at the total cost of ownership, it's the best truck avialable. You can't go wrong with any choice you make.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

6. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:15 AM
    rab44

rab44 Well-Known Member

Member:
    pa
    Vehicle:
    10 toy tacoma
    I just got the sr5 it has power windows,locks,painted flares, trd wheels,5 speed,4x4 xcab four banger for 23500. The gas milage is awesome and it runs a lot better then i expected for a 4 cylinder.

7. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:46 AM
    56cbr600rr

56cbr600rr Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Canton, GA (Atlanta)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma trd Sport Lightly modded
    -complete 3M front paint protectant kit -front 3m window tint -Toyota bed mat - led's (interior & tag light) -rocky mountain clutch sd -pioneer 4100 DVD (coming soon) -Weathertech floormats -shortened front mud flaps
    Just for refernce on price, I got a 2010 trd sport 4 door automatic 2wd sticker was around 27,800 or so... I paid 25,000 + tax= 26,500.

I'd guess get at least $3000 off.

8. Dec 25, 2009 at 9:51 AM
    ExpoSpy

ExpoSpy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Temecula
    FWIW Unless you need a DCLB go with the Off-Road either access cab or double cab short bed. If you usually haul things in the bed you should go with the DCLB Sport. Don't waste your time on a non-TRD truck...again IMHO

9. Dec 25, 2009 at 11:47 AM
    whatdaproblemis0

Member:
    First Name:
    Benito
    Thank you everyone who has replied. As far as selling the stang on my own trust me I have tried. Its on autotrader and craigslist. I know toyotas/imports are doing good. Im in va beach and I don't think the economy as far as cars have been suffering. The dealers are always selling and receiving cars everyday no matter what kind of car it is(Because of the military). Even Hummer is still going well. Reasonably I would like to get 19000 for my car and get a truck for 28 or 29 out the door. I do have 2 dealers that have multiple trucks that I like. I wonder if I could use those to against each other. I definitely am not gonna go in there and go straight to the tacomas. Last time I bought my mustang I got it for a tad over 26000 and the msrp was 32900 roughly. At first I went in there and pretended I wanted a ford fusion and then walked my way over to the mustangs. I then left the dealer because they were jacking with me. I got a call later that night at 845pm, 15min before they were about to close. I know you guys are into tacomas but I here is my auto trader ad for the stang. I priced it way high but lower than alot of the dealers here. Hopefully ill get 19000 for it since it still has only 12000 miles. I would try carmax but Ive heard mixed reviews from them but we will see. Sorry this is long I just want to get this done with. I definitely will be getting a TRD 4x4 for sure. Anyways here is a link on my car let me know if you think 19000 is too much or if getting my truck for 28 or 29 OTD is unrealistic. Once again thanks everyone for your input and hopefully I can join a good group of Taco owners. Oh yeah dont bash my price, I just priced it high to have room to negotiate.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=272524671&dealer_id=64890091&car_year=2008&rdm=1261660708017&lastStartYear=1981&model=MUST&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=2008&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&sownerid=70114&showZipError=n&make=FORD&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=23464&advanced=&end_year=2008&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=0&standard=false

10. Dec 25, 2009 at 11:50 AM
    whatdaproblemis0

Member:
    First Name:
    Benito
    Oh and all those trucks were double cab. Need them in case I have to put car baby seats in.

11. Dec 25, 2009 at 12:02 PM
    Silver 10

Silver 10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Valparaiso, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    10 SR5 DBL Cab 4x4
    Nitto Terra Grapplers, Leer XL100 cap , Cabelas Bug shield , Tinted windows, Bed Mat, Husky Floor Liners front and rear, seat belt mod, Rear TSB, K&N Air filter
    Get the 4x4 and like the one guy said if your going to use the bed much get a LB, hell even with a dog kennel and a few things, the short bed will be full. I got mine for 1500 off sticker and I know the dealer and felt he treated me right. I researched and there is only a few grand mark up. American cars have way more mark up and that is why it seems like we can always get a better deal there. So far so good with my new truck 10 4x4 long bed but mine is an sr5. Good luck finding your best deal. And despite what people think toyota is having problems moving cars as well, its tough out there rt now for all of them

12. Dec 25, 2009 at 12:32 PM
    whatdaproblemis0

Member:
    First Name:
    Benito
    Thanks Silver,

Thats what I want to hear. Im taking my car out tomorrow to clean it up and then straight to the dealer. I have now found 4 dealers within pissing distance from my house and one of them has over 40 new tacomas. As a matter of fact the one dealer also owns a ford dealership so hopefully this goes well.

13. Dec 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM
    Taco.Tim

Taco.Tim Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2010 Buhlue Access Cab 2WD
    Looking!
    Hi,

I began by looking everywhere, and found Edmunds.com gives you a pretty good idea of invoice prices.

Then I contacted the Internet group of seven dealers and asked all of them to quote my configuration. Most were pretty close together in price, a bit above invoice. Toyota Mall of Georgia had a great salesperson (Carol) and we ended up making a really good deal.

It took a fair amount of legwork, but was definitely worth it.

Tim Glover

14. Dec 25, 2009 at 1:34 PM
    LEBM

LEBM Thread Killer

Member:
    Eleanor, WV
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO 6MT Midnight Black
    I've posted this before on another thread, but I would try www.fitzmall.com. There is a location in DC (didn't you say you were in VA?) and they have good no haggle pricing through volume sales. Here in WV, dealers are overpriced compared to outlying areas, and I know a lot of people that get there vehicles from there. I think it says you're in the military also... do you have USAA? If you use them for banking or insurance, they have special prcing at certain dealers. I live in Charleston WV and went to Richmond VA for my Taco in March. Got a great deal.

15. Dec 25, 2009 at 3:47 PM
    whatdaproblemis0

Member:
    First Name:
    Benito
    Is the TRD pretty much just extra suspension upgrades vs the SR5. If you lift your truck doesnt that kinda defeat the purpose of the TRD option? Sorry if its a dumb question

16. Dec 25, 2009 at 4:07 PM
    ExpoSpy

ExpoSpy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Temecula
    That's just one thing that is included in the opackage, the OR has a locker the sport has limited slip, the OR also has full skidplates.

17. Dec 25, 2009 at 4:11 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
    In the Off Road model the most notable feature you get is the locking rear diff. The Sport is more appearance stuff, colored keyed parts, hood scoop, etc. So even if you're doing suspension upgrades you may still want the locking rear if you're going to be doing a lot of off roading.

18. Dec 25, 2009 at 5:36 PM
    whatdaproblemis0

Member:
    First Name:
    Benito
    Thanks again. This www.fitzmall.com is an awesome place and pretty cheap. Ill be printing these out so I have something to compare to

19. Dec 26, 2009 at 7:49 AM
    putawaywet

putawaywet Yaris Offroader

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '17 DC TRD Off Road MT
    Just picked up a 2010 4x4 V6 Access Cab SR5 6-spd with the tow package for $24,980 out the door (actually got it for $23,980 including $1000 college grad rebate). :D Retail on the truck was $27,360; invoice was $25,8something. The best part was there were only two trucks meeting my criteria in northern New England, and I still got them down that far. Check out fightingchance.com -- I never set foot into a dealership until I had 5 separate ones who had quoted me below invoice (on a truck none of them had in stock). I walked out of two dealerships when they wouldn't drop their price, and kept playing the email game with the others. Eventually, I had one at $24,980 (did not have the truck in stock, was going to bring in a truck with 250 miles on it) and one at $25,085 (had the other of the two in stock, with 10 miles on it but not my 1st color choice). Dealer #1 was kind of far away and all those test drive miles sketched me out, so I told Dealer #2 if they could match that price and throw in an iPod interface, I'd be in that night. They said the iPod interface was too expensive, but they'd match the price... And now I have a new Tacoma :) Also after seeing on here somewhere about a dealer who was selling the Toyota 6 yr 100K mile warranty extension for about $890, I was able to talk the finance guy down from $2000 to $889 on the extended warranty. So my total cost for a 2010 Black Sand Pearl 4x4 Access Cab V6 6-spd SR5 with the Tow package (Model #7553 Tacoma) and extended 6 yr 100K Toyota Warranty was: $24,869 tax, title, and documentation included.

Don't fall for the invoice ploy! Times are tough right now, and you CAN get a smoking deal on a new Tacoma.

20. Dec 26, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    akyota

akyota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    10' DC trd-offroad mag gray
    none yet
    I bought my 2010 TRD/OR in october I paid $33g's and got the extended warranty. But up here its typical for them to add on shipping. I traded my 08' 4cyl in and got $20500 the truck had 19,000 miles on it. I feel I got a rare deal seeing how if I would have driven the 350 miles to Anchorage I only would have saved a few hundred bucks. I also bought an 09' Highlander in July and feel I got a pretty good deal on it aswell. Take your time and someone will give (Sales manager wise).

Products Discussed in

To Top