1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New carry gun

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by kidthatsirish, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Apr 8, 2008 at 5:49 PM
    argm31i

argm31i Well-Known Member

Member:

I have two left-handed 870's (12 ga. and 20 ga.) because I'm left-handed and don't like shells in my face.

2. Apr 8, 2008 at 8:45 PM
    ZonKs

ZonKs Can speak french in Russian.

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    .50 cal in a hallway would prob suck the air right out of your lungs. You would never hear the same (if at all) again, at the very least. It would prob blow your eardrums completely out. Not a good idea lol.

3. Apr 8, 2008 at 8:47 PM
    ZonKs

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    Im a lefty and have a 590 -- the location of the ejection port doesn't bother me at all. My m14 clone is a little hairy though. I hate the thought of the op rod coming off the tracks and going straight into my skull via my right eye.

4. Apr 9, 2008 at 5:36 AM
    kidthatsirish

kidthatsirish [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma access cab base 2.7L 4x4 5speed manual
    Awesome CB setup, TRD leaf springs, matching camper shell...more to come some day.

In my case, I would have to disagree. My wife is a little small to effectively be able to swing a 12 gauge around (unless the barrel was shorter than legal limits). The smaller revolver is much more lighter, and would save precious seconds on the time it takes to bear to a target.

As far as the wonderful noise of a shotgun being racked, I do agree that it would have an awesome effect on an assaliant or theif, I also think that the first sound of a gun shot would have an even greater effect!

In tight, panic type scenarios, I do think we would all agree that you would not be as calm cool and collective as we all wish we would be, so in that instance, a young wife like my own could very well forget to rack a shotgun (that sucks), or forget to take off the safety. A revolver like this...there is none of that...pick it up, point and shoot. In a low light, scary situation, I know the other guy will be running the otherway, probably even if you took a shot at the floor:)

Over powered rounds are not a big deal if you get regular 38 (non +P) with hollow points, at that point, they wont get through much (cept skin and half of a liver or so)

Also since it will be doubleing as my ccw when I am home, that alone throws the 12 gauge out the window.

I would say though....a 12 gauge would provide the best ratio fo stopping power with lease over penetration and would be extremley easy as far as aiming goes (one muzzle is actually swung around).

For my regular home defense though, I will stick to my 1911:D

5. Apr 9, 2008 at 1:16 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California

Hey if the fight isn't over after 8 or 9 rounds of 12gauge.........;)

6. Apr 9, 2008 at 6:02 PM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    For in the house, a Rem. 870 with 18.5" barrel, rifle night sights, short mag. extension for 8 rnds. of #4 heavy Pheasant loads, with a cyl. choke installed. Glock 23 in 40 S&W, night sights, with a Steamlight M3 on the rail and Starfire 180 JHP's, also a Sure fire 6Z light, a weapon in itself. If you can't identify it, blind it, or see it as a threat, you damn well can't or shouldn't shoot it.

Carry out of the house depends on clothing (temp.), destination, activity, ect.. Usually a Sig 239 in 9mm, Walther PPKS .380 acp, or a Beretta Tomcat in .32 acp, all with Starfire JHP's. Concealed to me is trying to get the hell away from a bad situation alive. Defensive all the way.

7. Apr 9, 2008 at 6:24 PM
    Toyota Alec

Toyota Alec Member

Member:
    my idea of concealed is a 50 cal. machine gun with a blanket over it!:D:D:fenforcer::spy:

8. Apr 10, 2008 at 5:57 AM
    argm31i

Member:
    Well, here in SC, concealed only means that you can't actually see any portion of the firearm. Protruding, etc. from clothing is not an issue (at least as far as the law is concerned).

9. Apr 11, 2008 at 8:00 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    thats why it would be perfect for some retard on youtube to do it :)

i love having my own personal SC lawyer :)

10. Apr 11, 2008 at 8:22 PM
    ZonKs

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Glendale, CA
    Vehicle:
    2018 Sport DCSB 4x4
    =p
    that would be awesome, lol.

11. Apr 13, 2008 at 12:00 PM
    ChrisDeSoup

ChrisDeSoup Come on, Touch it......

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Seatbelt Ding Mod All Weather Mats Gate Lock MOD Rear Spring TSB
    My wife is small too so I picked up a youth stock for my 870. I told my wife to lock herself in the bedroom and place the butt of the 870 on the wall allowing her to have good range of motion and no fear of recoil. I also keep a 1911 .45 locked and loaded (2 fragmenable and 2 JHP and 3 frag in that order) in the kitchen. www.sportmansguide.com has some pretty awesome riot control rubberball rounds for 12 gauge (would not use for in-home defence, but outside the home and still on your property they could save you from prosecution). I place the safety of my family in my 870 w/ 00, a pistol should only be used as last resort in a dire situation. But for carry I still vote wheel gun!!!

12. Apr 14, 2008 at 9:52 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i have 4 firearms...2 handguns and 2 long guns

Glock 22 .40
    Walther p22 .22
    Mossberg 500 12ga 18.5in barrel, pistol grip, adj stock, side saddle shell holder
    Benelli Nova 12ga

The only one an intruder will ever meet is the Glock...

at any given time i have at LEAST 2 magazines of Winchester Ranger SXT plus one in the hole...its ready to go at a moments notice...

theres no point in having a firearm for home defense if its not ready to go the SECOND you hear something/someone...

while i agree that a shotgun being racked is a terrifying sound, i much prefer the glock...if i hear someone break a window in the living room, and i grab something to go investigate...i want to be as stealth as possible and poking a shotgun around a corner is gonna give away my position...no thanks...i want the tactical advantage at all times

an interesting stat
    most gunfights are over within 3 seconds...can you draw/get a sight picture/fire accurately in that time?

everytime i go to the range i bring all my holsters. i try and run about a half mile before at least one magazine of rounds...easiest way to simulate the elevated heartbeat and loss of motor function

13. Apr 15, 2008 at 6:47 AM
    argm31i

Member:
    I couldn't agree more that I like to have something with a round chambered for home defense. However, I prefer a shotgun for that purpose (loaded, of course). If you shave the barrel down to the legal limit, it can get short enough to be very maneuverable in a home and not too big so as to give away your position.

14. Apr 15, 2008 at 3:29 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Yes, when I have my IPSC rig on.
    Back when I actually practiced and was moving up the ladder, I consistantly could draw and hit a 8" plate at 30' in just under one second.
    Now I'm more like sub 2.
    Home defense it is already going to be in my hand when I feel the need to have it out. Hope I never have to use it but not afraid to use the gun and skills USPSA competition has given me.

15. Apr 16, 2008 at 8:15 AM
    4x4x4trd

4x4x4trd My other ride weighs 200 tons

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 White Access Cab TRD OR, Debadged
    AFE oil free drop in, Secondary removed, tint, front D-rings, Toyota bed mat, Undercover tonneau, TRD seat covers and floor mats, Pioneer speakers, Westin Platinum bars, Fumoto oil valve, short antena, Nifty Xtreme's, TSB leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's set at .85" in the front
    ^^^^ Oh to be young and fast again. :D Really though, you hear the window or door coming apart in the middle of the night, the gun and light is going to be in hand. The short shotgun is going to be with the wife in the locked bedroom dialing 911 and the pistol is with me sweeping the house. Of course the situation will probably be solved as the guard dog will have licked them into surrender by the time I got there.;)
    [​IMG]

16. Apr 16, 2008 at 10:04 AM
    ANDYTACOMA

ANDYTACOMA NOMAD

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab trd offroad 4x4 black sand pe
    fog light mod /parking light mod /after market stereo /bed lights/yeasu ft8700/uniden bct15
    :D:D:D:D LOL!

17. Apr 16, 2008 at 3:36 PM
    spp

spp OC, Kalifornia

Member:
    OC California
    Hey don't underestimate WEINERDOG POWER. Those little suckers were bread to dig in after BADGERS.
    All mine ever went for in the woods of Arkansas was box turtles though.

18. Apr 19, 2008 at 7:39 PM
    kidthatsirish

kidthatsirish [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma access cab base 2.7L 4x4 5speed manual
    Awesome CB setup, TRD leaf springs, matching camper shell...more to come some day.
    Yeah, I would say when all else fails, if the guns jam, the cops dont get there and im about to die....I say.....

"RELEASE THE DOGS!!!"....my Tubbs's killer instinct will strike terror in even the most evil man:cool:

TUBS3.jpg

19. Apr 20, 2008 at 1:57 PM
    ChrisDeSoup

ChrisDeSoup Come on, Touch it......

Member:
    Up in ya
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner Sport
    Seatbelt Ding Mod All Weather Mats Gate Lock MOD Rear Spring TSB
    I have a little one (16 mo's) and she gets into everything! I will probably end up just picking up one of those fingerprint activated spring loaded safes for under the bed or in the nightstand until she is old enough to respect and handle a firearm. That means only a pistol OMG! But safety first, with kids life kinda changes and we gun owners have to keep up. The anti-gun patrol is just looking for more reasons to keep honest, hard working americans from owning guns and protecting our loved ones. Here in California, peoples republic of they want to stamp brass and force gunowners to register the ammo! Your rights bestowed by the founding fathers are being widdled away and soon there will no longer be a 2nd ammendment right.

As for a simulation of a high stress situation, there isn't one. We all have a evolutional fight or flight switch in our heads, thousands of years of bieng preditor and prey. I can empty a mag center mass while takin a dump, I don't need a head shot just 3 out of 7 into cener mass w/ +p jhp. I guess my point is your weapon for home defense should be the weapon your most comfy with and have the most range time with because In a low light situation with muzzle flash you just need to know where your pointing is where your round is going cause your going to be blind for a bit after discharge. thats enough of my ranting!:cool:

20. Apr 20, 2008 at 9:02 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    i realize that theres no good way to simulate how one will respond in a high stress situation...but the best thing you can do is practice while youre complex motor skills are lowered...gross motor skills are what will save your life if you dont choose the flight option

being in law enforcement...theres not a lot of times i can choose flight...

you just have to practice practice practice until things become almost instinct...when youre out on the range your heartbeat isnt elevated to the point where you are relying solely on gross motor skills...so the best way for me...is to run and then run straight to the range...draw...and begin my course of fire...

when youre training for use of deadly force...you shoudl realize that everything wont work on everyone every time...its necessary to be able to take a headshot...some of my coworkers recently encountered a guy who came at them firing a .357...he got hit 16 times center mass but it took a headshot to drop him...and thats with winchester ranger sxt .40 jhp...

Products Discussed in

To Top