1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Clutch Recomendations for a '02 4x4 2.7L

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas' started by Stuardoslls, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Stuardoslls

Stuardoslls [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 Access Cab SR5
    Deck Plate Mod,Clear Corners, Red and Clear Tail Lights, FJ Cruiser Wheels, Blacked out Grille, Line-X'd bumper and Fender Flares, Doug Thorley Headers, Flow master 40 series, Cobra 75wx CB
    My clutch just started slipping a little bit, and I figure I should replace it before it goes out completely..... any recomendations?

Just to make sure:
    It slips at about 2,500 rpm when I give it gas in 3rd and 4th gear... anything else it could be? :confused:

2. isu2014

isu2014 RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Minnetonka
    Vehicle:
    01 SUPERCHARGED TRD OR MANUAL 4x4 V6
    View the build. Too much to list.
    Most likely clutch. Make sure you get the whole clutch kit. Stage 4 preferably...:D

3. Stuardoslls

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 Access Cab SR5
    Deck Plate Mod,Clear Corners, Red and Clear Tail Lights, FJ Cruiser Wheels, Blacked out Grille, Line-X'd bumper and Fender Flares, Doug Thorley Headers, Flow master 40 series, Cobra 75wx CB
    Any recommnedations on brands I should consider?

4. toycar18

toycar18 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    98 Reg Cab 2.7L
    OME Suspension, BFG 33x10.50 AT, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, Rear ARB Air Locker, LCE Header, Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler, K&N Intake
    Check out Marlin Crawlers Heavy Duty Clutch

http://www.marlincrawler.com/clutch/heavy-duty/heavy-duty-clutch-kit-1200-lb

It is made by Aisin (the manufacturer of Toyota clutches)

It is more heavy duty than stock but will not take extra effort to push - Some heavy duty clutches are really hard to push in.

This should last longer and have good quality.

Make sure you replace or resurface your flywheel

5. Sirlight

Sirlight 1337 h4x0r

Member:
    Orange County, CA
    Vehicle:
    2004 PreRunner Xtra Cab
    STOCK
    Go for the full kit replacement. OEM equivalent or a little better is good. No need for some ultra heavy duty clutch as i dont think you are putting down gobs of power to necessitate it. How long did the OEM one last ? :)

Clutch disc, pressure plate, flywheel, throw-out bearing. Kit usually comes with the clutch alignment tool as well. May want to look into a diff plug as well for when you yank the drive shaft ( if you are gonna do it that is )

6. Stuardoslls

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 Access Cab SR5
    Thanks for the help. I think the Marlin Crawler is going to be he way to go... I plan on doing a 3"lift and maybe slighty larger tires so I dont think I need much more..

I just bought the truck 4 months ago... Its a 2002 and it only has 44,000 miles on it... That doesnt seem like very great life on a clutch does it?

7. isu2014

isu2014 RAT Products

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Minnetonka
    Vehicle:
    01 SUPERCHARGED TRD OR MANUAL 4x4 V6
    View the build. Too much to list.
    Nope, sounds like someone's been beating that truck to hell. I was able to do insane burnouts in my 2wd taco and it still lasted 144,000.

8. steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 SR5 Xtra Cab V6
    265/75/16 BFG A/T's, OME 881's, Wheelers 5 leaf pack, 5100's, Home Made Sliders
    the previous owner has no clue how to drive a manual. they probably like to hold the truck on inclines with the clutch:rolleyes:

9. Stuardoslls

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 Access Cab SR5
    Hey everyone......Finally ready to get the new clutch............Thinking about getting the Marlin crawler clutch, any other recomendations? Has anyone used the Marlin crawler clutch? any feedback.. would help me out a lot ...Thanks

10. steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 SR5 Xtra Cab V6
    265/75/16 BFG A/T's, OME 881's, Wheelers 5 leaf pack, 5100's, Home Made Sliders
    I've heard nothing but great things about it.

11. afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I haven't replaced mine yet, so these are just other brands I've heard tossed around. Not that any of these are "better" than one from Marlin Crawler, which actually sounds pretty good.

Clutch Masters
    Spec
    Centerforce

12. afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    x2

I've heard good things about the Marlin Crawler and ClutchMasters but some bad things about centerforce clutches if not installed correctly.

13. Stuardoslls

Member:
    First Name:
    Stuart
    Hawthorne, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 4x4 Access Cab SR5
    So I've had my clutch for a couple of months now and I figured I would give a quick update for others refference. The new clutch is great. Ive noticed a big difference in the performance. It grabs under all circumstances. Ive done some pretty rough offroading and it has never slipped even when its gotten hot and has taken abuse.

What inspired the update was something funnier from earlier today. I was pulling out of work made a left and some guy in an M3 hit the corner they way you figure an M3 should be driven. In order for him not to rear end me I gas the tacoma in 1st gear and slammed second, guess what.... the little 4 banger chirped 2nd gear and then went on to chirp 3rd gear..... proof that the clutch will not slip.....

I would reccomend a marlin crawler to everybody

14. Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
To Top