1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New clutch, worse performance

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JManders, May 24, 2010.

1. May 24, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    JManders

JManders [OP] Assistant to the Regional Manager

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    Warn driving lights, Aries brush guard, tow package, removed mudflaps, Uniden CB radio, Firestik antenna, PA horn, deck plate mod, K&N air filter, blacked-out badges, Hella SuperTone horns, 20% tint all around, fog light mod
    So I got my clutch replaced about a week ago because it was slipping so bad. Now that I got my truck back, the acceleration on it seems way worse than before, I can't get any acceleration in 4th if I'm going under 65.

I used to be able to start in 2nd from a dead stop but that is a nightmare now. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

2. May 24, 2010 at 9:03 AM
    steve o 77

steve o 77 braaap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    In a corn field, OH
    Vehicle:
    1990 Chevy Siveraydo
    245k+ miles, rust, working AC, bald eagles
    Starting in 2nd from a stop is probably what killed the original clutch. Remember, slipping the clutch is bad. Not sure about the acceleration thing.

3. May 24, 2010 at 9:06 AM
    JManders

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    Warn driving lights, Aries brush guard, tow package, removed mudflaps, Uniden CB radio, Firestik antenna, PA horn, deck plate mod, K&N air filter, blacked-out badges, Hella SuperTone horns, 20% tint all around, fog light mod
    Well I just noticed I couldn't do it anymore. It also struggles to get acceleration after making a right turn in 2nd. I don't know if they messed up something with the clutch or it could be something else.

4. May 24, 2010 at 10:02 AM
    JManders

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    any ideas?

5. May 24, 2010 at 11:00 AM
    Wreckless_71

Wreckless_71 WRECKLESS for Life...

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Pullman, WA.
    Vehicle:
    98 ext cab Tacoma
    3" Lift via OME 881's, Bilstein 5100's, Dakar OME 3" leaf packs, MBRP custom exhaust, HID headlights, CB, Canopy, aluminum wheels, upgraded sound system, full set of studded snow tires and wheels, auxilary lighting, more to come.
    Is it a 2.7? If so don't even try 2nd gear starts lol... I couldn't do it without slipping even if I was on a downhill. You probably should just stick with 1st gear starts and drive the truck normally, your clutch will need a week to break in. Also the lack of acceleration could be due to the fact that you aren't used to driving your truck with a clutch that grabs.

6. May 24, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    JManders

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    yeah I'm hoping that could be the case. I think I might have just gotten so used to it slipping that I have to re-teach myself how to drive this thing. And I've got the 3.4, guess starting in 2nd was a bad example lol

7. May 24, 2010 at 11:06 AM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    give it a week or tweo before you evaluate performance. The clutch fork things need to be broken in (when I did mine it was sooo hard to drive the first two days), and you dont want to accelerate fast at all. baby it for the next 500 miles or so. otherwise the clutch pad will glaze over and youll be shit out of luck

8. May 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM
    JManders

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    ok gotcha. well I've kinda tried to drive it hard the last couple days but I'll definitely take it easy for a while. It was so weird driving it at first. I got so used to the clutch being stiff and slipping.

9. May 24, 2010 at 11:13 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    what's the break in period for the new clutch..?? how many miles..??

10. May 24, 2010 at 11:30 AM
    JManders

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    I mean 500 miles isn't that many to put on before the clutch is broken in. I would just hate to mess up the new clutch after I had to fork over so much to get it fixed.

11. May 24, 2010 at 11:38 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    how many miles have you put on it so far..??

12. May 24, 2010 at 11:39 AM
    JManders

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    probably 100-150 on there. apparently driven harder than it should though.

did you get yours replaced?

13. May 24, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Doc.SS

Doc.SS ︻╦╤─

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    O'side
    Vehicle:
    T4R SR5
    not in the truck, I have an automatic
    now in my previous car, yea...twice
    I replaced it the first time and didn't change the throw out bearing, which was failing (the manual said to keep it) then after about 4000 miles, the throw out bearing went and when I went to replace it, the clutch had a bad wear pattern and I got a new clutch on warranty (thankfully).

so, from now on, drive it like an old lady driving to church.....

14. May 24, 2010 at 11:08 PM
    taco_jons

taco_jons Member

Member:
    im guessing you got it done at a dealership?

15. May 24, 2010 at 11:17 PM
    kumaWRX

kumaWRX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jase
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2004 TRD Offroad PreRunner 3.4L V6
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers, Wheeler's 3-leaf AAL, Toytec 1" lift shackles, Bilstein 5100 rear shocks, aFE Stg. 2 intake, Doug Thorley headers, Magnaflow muffler, 16x8 ProComp 7089 wheels, Toyo Open Country A/T tires, Pamalu bedliner, Bakflip G2 bedcover
    As others have said, don't start in 2nd. Also did you have the flywheel resurfaced also? This takes off the glaze (mirror-finish) that it had, I'm guessing yours was very bad due to starting in 2nd. Resurfacing is pretty much the same as a brake rotor, it gives the clutch friction material a good new surface to mate to and gives it more "bite". A glazed flywheel is relatively slippery compared to a new flywheel or a resurfaced one.

16. May 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    JManders

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    2k Black SR5 TRD romper
    yeah the operator of the lexus dealership in town is my neighbor so he got me a pretty good deal on the replacement. I guess I just have to get used to a clutch that isn't a piece of crap.

17. May 25, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    exactly. give it a few weeks and itl be better. be patient.

Products Discussed in

To Top