1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New compact tent recommendation?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by jmferg, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Oct 12, 2020 at 4:01 AM
    jmferg

jmferg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Morning all,

I have a gift card to backcountry.com and am looking at getting a new 2 person person backpacking tent.
    I realistically won’t be doing an multi-day backpacking trips. This will be used for my solo adventures or for two person hunting trips for establishing a small basecamp.
    I like the traditional a-frame height of the eureka, however the fly on the marmot allows for dry, outdoor storage of boots and other items. This will get most of its use in the fall and winters of the northeast 2E7A1109-5BED-4F30-B0DD-5619D01D81AD.jpg
    FDEB6C7C-17DA-4DC1-87E3-802121FABA72.jpg

2. Oct 12, 2020 at 4:19 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    If you're considering the Eureka, I'd upgrade to the SQ 2XT Tent. It has a full fly/vestibule on one end. As you're probably aware a 2 person tent will be good for one person and gear (especially hunting gear). 2 will be a challenge.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    ovrlndkull and jmferg[OP] like this.
  3. Oct 12, 2020 at 4:55 AM
    Tallgrass05

Tallgrass05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a Marmot Tungsten 1P and a guy I kayak and camp with has the Tungsten 2P. We've probably spent about 25 nights camping over the last 2 years. The 2P is solid and roomy, and we've been through waves of night and morning thunderstorms and rain, including some with 60 mph winds. Both our tents took what Mother Nature threw at them and stayed tight and dry. I do recommend a set of good stakes, most tents seem to come with skinny little pegs. The photo is my 1P in front and his 2P behind it.

Note the Marmot has a vestibule and the Eureka does not, that's a big difference.

tent.jpg

4. Oct 12, 2020 at 5:04 AM
    DiscoYaker

DiscoYaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE USA and Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4WD SR5 AC MT, 1995 Tacoma 2wd ext. cab auto
    Stock for now.. maybe

Whatever you go with a vestibule is key for outside dry storage. Ive owned my Marmot for 7+ years and its still in great shape. Some years I've spent almost 100 nights in it. they also have great customer service incase you break a pole or get a tear in the rainfall. Eureka is also a trusted brand as well and has been around a long time.

Vestibule!

ovrlndkull likes this.
  5. Oct 12, 2020 at 5:09 AM
    PacoDevo

PacoDevo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pops
    Bazetta Twp. Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DCLB white "Quinn the Eskimo"
    Son and I each have a Marot (different models, but don't remember which ones) "2" person tent with the vestibule area since he was in cub scouts - 12+ years. Haven't seen any use recently, but were great when we did camp.

Definitely would say one person and gear is realistic as opposed to two people.

I would buy Marmot again in a heartbeat if needed.

6. Oct 12, 2020 at 5:19 AM
    Dizzzy4130

Dizzzy4130 Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 DCLB
    I have a 2p MSR Hubba Hubba HP and love it. Vestibules are a must. The only person I'd share the tent with is my wife unless it was a life or death situation, but it's really a 1 person tent.

EdgemanVA likes this.
  7. Oct 12, 2020 at 8:30 AM
    EdgemanVA

EdgemanVA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2008 X-Runner
    Several
    I have one of those, and concur with your observations. It can fit two people if all gear goes outside into the vestibules.

I did my best to weigh "durability," weight and cost into tent selection, and picked that tent. Got my first use this weekend, and I'm happy with it.

Dizzzy4130[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Oct 12, 2020 at 2:03 PM
    huachuca

huachuca Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Tarboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    2012 4WD DC w/TRD offroad
    I'm a Eureka guy (Pinnacle Pass 3XTA for backpacking and Assault IV for car camping) but would probably go with the Marmot between the two options you gave. The Timberline series has been around for several years but I don't like the single door of this version. Also, if you do any beach camping, you'll want a fly that goes all the way to the ground on all sides or you'll have sand in everything. I'm not familiar with the Marmot 'Velocity' pole material so that may not be a negative but the 7000 series aluminum poles in my Eurekas have been trouble free in several high wind trips.

9. Oct 12, 2020 at 2:07 PM
    m603holden

m603holden @Koditten Pirate Radio member #063

Member:
    First Name:
    Marteeen
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma DCSB OR MT
    Lots of sail boat fuel
    Always a fan of Marmot. I like my limelite 3p, so I'm sure the one you listed would suit you well too

10. Oct 12, 2020 at 2:14 PM
    MNMLST

MNMLST Well-Known Member

Member:
    Earth
    tinfoil lined cab runflat headlights pee-thru seats
    That Marmot is an excellent tent for the money. The wife got one a few years ago and it’s our ‘go to’ tent for general camping. The mesh walls are good for summer and good for letting moisture out in the winter. It’s also rigged to pitch w/ just the fly and footprint.

(Your sleeping bag and pad is where fall/winter camping is won or lost.)

11. Oct 12, 2020 at 7:27 PM
    jmferg

Member:
    Thanks for the reviews guys.
    I ordered the Marmot Tungsten 2 person tonight.
    Mainly the lighter weight, two door and dry vestibule coverage won over for me.

DiscoYaker likes this.
  12. Oct 13, 2020 at 3:41 AM
    jmferg

Member:
    My neighbor and I shared a two person marmot during a hunting trip in the Adirondacks last year. I think it was a higher end model but very well vented.
    It is tight, however, our packs went in the vestibule and everything else for inside. it got down to single digits that so we didn’t complain about the tight quarters during the couple hours of sleep we got. I’ll be sure to post up a review as we’ll be carrying it into the Catskills for base camp this fall

13. Oct 13, 2020 at 3:58 AM
    ovrlndkull

ovrlndkull STUKASFK - HC4LIFE

Member:
    First Name:
    Skip
    Burlington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB Silver
    63s, XD Machete, Beat not Babied
    I vote and have marmot too. But I also have 2 Cabelas brand (no more thanks BPS) and have had eureka, nemo, REI, Big Agnes and MSR. All have been great tents all bought with different purposes and different designs. You'll have to weigh your options but if you are hinting any with these tents and hunting where you have to pack meat out also consider getting something light. Yeah you may sacrifice some size and comfort but comfort hiking with less weight really is a better. The biggest thing to all of these tents is storage and care that'll make sure they last as long as possible. Other wise pretty much pick your poison most out there are great tents these days. Some of the new modern tent designs offer more room than the a-frames because of the vertical wall produced by the poll design which is something to consider. If you have a local REI or outfitters near you go look at a bunch of different tents to see.

Just as an FYI Eureka hasn't changed that A-frame up in probably 40 years. My scout troop has some that I used back in the 90s which they purchased in the 80s. Big down side to those from experience is weight and size they are a bitch to pack small. There is a light weight version but its still a big tent.

14. Oct 13, 2020 at 2:38 PM
    DiscoYaker

DiscoYaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    SE USA and Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma 4WD SR5 AC MT, 1995 Tacoma 2wd ext. cab auto
    Stock for now.. maybe

I'm with you... tight quarters are great for cold weather. If you're camping and hunting in mostly cold weather id say definitely go for the 2 person. Summer/hot weather is a bit different. Also the smaller the tent the less it will weight as far as mid to top of the line backpacking tents go

Edit-let us know what you go with

15. Dec 1, 2020 at 6:20 PM
    kywoodsrider

kywoodsrider Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Grey Tacoma Access Cab Off Road Package

Products Discussed in

To Top