1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Deck, no sound ?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by FooD2000, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Dec 10, 2010 at 12:24 AM
    FooD2000

FooD2000 [OP] Member

Member:
    I have a 1996 Tacoma and i just bought a dash kit + wiring harness to install my kenwood Deck (lying around from my other car).

I have no sound from my speakers:

- I do have power to the HU and able to switch to stations but no sound
    - When i hook up the factory radio i do get sound.

So it must be the wiring right?

I have the Solid blue wire from the harness going to my blue wire / white (p. count) stripe (searching, this seems to be the "remote" or something)

I also have the orange "illuminating dash light" going to my sold blue wire (amp cont) on the hu harness.

I was researching and i don't see a switch for my head unit, is there a factory amp wire or something i am not doing right?

Random: there's a blue wire that loops back into the factory harness

Thanks in advance!

2. Dec 10, 2010 at 12:30 AM
    '02TRD

'02TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma Xtra Cab 4x4 SR5 TRD
    Billstein 5100's & AAL, 285/75R16 Toyo Open Country M/Ts on Black 16x8 Raceline Renegades, Pro-Tech Toolbox, Wet Okole covers, K&N air filter, Tow package, Alpine digital media receiver, Kenwood Amp, Rockford Fosgate 10" sub, Cobra 75 hand held CB, front differential drop
    p.cont= power control (i believe what it stands for) and is for powering an amp. take it into a stereo shop with the dash all torn apart and just ask someone for wiring advice. advice, skip the sales people and just go back to the install fellows and ask a few questions. sounds like you just have the wiring mixed up/incorrect. Good Luck!!

3. Dec 10, 2010 at 1:10 AM
    ROCKSLINGER

ROCKSLINGER Zombie Response Team

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Reno Nv
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DBL CAB 6 SPEED
    Fox Coilover with reservoir, Fox Remote Rear reservoir, Wheeler's 3 pack AAL, Grillcraft Grille color matched, Rampage 50" LED Light Bar, Relentless 1/4" IFS-Mid and Transfer case Skids, Relentless High Clearance Rear Bumper, Kenwood 1800 watt Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P3 Shallow Sub, 1 Farad Capacitor, Redline Hood Struts, Weathertech Floor Mats, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Flowmaster Delta 40, URD MAF Calibrator, URD Short Shifter, CST Black Leather W/Red Stich, On Board Air, Train Horns,
    Have you tried switching to a different source like cd and see if you have sound? Hard to believe you would have all the speaker wires connected wrong and no sound at all.

4. Dec 10, 2010 at 1:26 AM
    ROCKSLINGER

ROCKSLINGER Zombie Response Team

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Reno Nv
    Vehicle:
    14 MGM DBL CAB 6 SPEED
    Fox Coilover with reservoir, Fox Remote Rear reservoir, Wheeler's 3 pack AAL, Grillcraft Grille color matched, Rampage 50" LED Light Bar, Relentless 1/4" IFS-Mid and Transfer case Skids, Relentless High Clearance Rear Bumper, Kenwood 1800 watt Amp, 12" Rockford Fosgate P3 Shallow Sub, 1 Farad Capacitor, Redline Hood Struts, Weathertech Floor Mats, Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers, Flowmaster Delta 40, URD MAF Calibrator, URD Short Shifter, CST Black Leather W/Red Stich, On Board Air, Train Horns,
    This may help to. You can download the manual and look what the color wire is for what.

5. Dec 10, 2010 at 1:38 AM
    Taco4Fish

Taco4Fish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    j
    i think your problem is your orange wire "Illuminating wire" If its coming from the deck as orange it should match to your orange wire from your harness.

Also The blue/white wire from your deck is a 12v source that is meant to go to a Amplifier if one is installed not to the wiring harness. So the blue wire from the harness leave it un-connected.

Check all the Green and purple wires make sure there matched correctly as there the speaker wires.

Check your setting on your deck make sure its set to send music through the deck to your speakers, and not send a signal out to the RCA's jacks in back the deck.

The blue wire that loops back around is fine dont worry about it. If this still doesnt work send me a PM ill try explain it better or just post in here.

6. Dec 10, 2010 at 2:52 AM
    TACOMA TRD

TACOMA TRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    PA
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM SPORT DC 4x4
    Alpine HU, Apline 6.5 3 way Speakers, Access Cover.
    Correct...The orange wire should be hooked to orange ( ACC). The blue is either for power antenna or remote.

Check to make sure all other colors match. And black to frame or metal.

7. Dec 10, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    FooD2000

FooD2000 [OP] Member

Member:
    So far:

-blue/white wire goes to my amp (works / turns on/off like it's supposed to), i have sound out of my sub..

- checked / double checked my wires.

Orange wire: i read that it doesn't have to be hooked up, it just dims the lights when the head lights turn on.

Blue wire i've read is supposed to be the factory amp wire that should be wired to the blue / white remote wire (however still nothing happens).

I've also checked my car front speakers (i have no rears) in case it's shortening somewhere but i don't see where it could be..

Anyone else have any guesses? I'm thinking about just messing with combination of speaker wires and see if it's reversed or something (looks like someone has been in there doing stuff).

-*reminder* the factory radio makes everything work fine.

8. Dec 11, 2010 at 2:06 AM
    Taco4Fish

Taco4Fish Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    j
    CHECK YOUR DECK SETTINGS!!! didnt sound like you did in above post, my alpine deck was on a wrong setting and no sound came out through speaker, i got pissed but i called the support line then they told me to change this setting and bam i got sound.

9. Dec 11, 2010 at 2:46 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    As mentioned above- you might have the internal amp of your head unit turned off. I assume you are running RCA's to the sub amp and using the factory speaker wires for your front speakers. If the internal amp is turned off, you only get sound out of the RCA jacks.

10. Dec 11, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    FooD2000

FooD2000 [OP] Member

Member:
    Yea i got the instruction manual for the deck and made sure to turn the speakers on.

There's 4 modes:

sp-f = no speaker
    sp-0 = oem speaker

etc... and non of them get sound going..

Yea, i'm just having the amp push the sub while the front speakers are powered by the radio.

11. Dec 11, 2010 at 11:32 AM
    84Hilux

84Hilux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 Access Cab V6 4X4
    Stock Fog Lights, Camera Mirror, Arrow Canopy, Lighted 4x4switch, Weathertech Mats (Black), Wet Okoles- Black/Charcoal, Alpine CDA117 Headunit/ Alpine PDX4150 Amp/Alpine PDX M6 Amp/ Hybrid Legatia SE Components/ JL 10W6V2 Subwoofer/ Prototype MR Marv Sub Enclosure
    Do you have the dash taken apart? On my access cab there is a "noise suppressor" that is attached to the panel just above the glove box. When I had this removed, I had no sound to the rear speakers. Not sure if there is something like this in the standard cabs.

BTW: The solid blue wire from HU is for a power antenna- don't connect this to your amp.

Blue and white goes to your remote amp- but it is not part of the harness, since there is no remote amp in the stock truck. In my install the blue and white wire was run separate from the harness.

12. Dec 11, 2010 at 4:21 PM
    FooD2000

FooD2000 [OP] Member

Member:
    Okay guys, i have figured it out.

I took a speaker i had lying around and put the wires from the deck to it, no sound. I used a volt meter and a set had about 5 amps while the other wire was dead, so i figured the internal amp of the deck was dead.

Went to the store, bought a new deck and vola. it worked.

THanks for reading all, i appreciate it.

Products Discussed in

To Top