1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Dyanapro AT-M’s installed, first review….

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by ilovemountains, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Oct 13, 2011 at 10:42 AM
    ilovemountains

ilovemountains [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bakerton WV
    Blazing Blue Pearl D Cab with the premium and tech packages.
    Got them installed, Im not overly happy with the tires, they are alot louder than what I expected based on the reviews that I read and the wet grip so far is pretty bad, I’m going to give them some time to break in before I make up my mind on them as Ive only put about 75 miles on them. Yesterday I had the rear end start to come around on me at an intersection, thats never happened in my truck! That said, as it stands right now, Im wishing I would have spent the extra $$ and gone with the Revo 2’s like I have on my 88.
    Anyway, here is a picture of them, with the new wheels on my truck…I think it looks really good :) Ill post back when I get some more miles on them to see if they quiet down at all and if the wet grip improves. Im running 30psi in the rears and 34 up front, I could lower it down to 26 rear and see if it makes a difference... Click the link for a picture:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=a132c6a6432774a9&page=play&resid=A132C6A6432774A9!492

They are 245/75-16 by the way...

2. Oct 13, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    ekard

ekard Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC SB 4X4 OR
    TRD Exhaust, Bilstein 5100's, Eibach coils, TSB Leaf pack, Toyota Bed Mat and D-Rings, Dakine Tailgate Pad, Wet Okoles, WeatherTech Floormats, PA15-TOY iPod Adapter, Goodyear Duratracs 265/75/16, SCS F5 wheels
    Don't forget that tires need a couple hundred miles to wear off the harder/slicker outer layer of rubber.

75 miles isn't nearly enough to break-in tires to their true performance.

What tires were you replacing for comparison?

3. Oct 13, 2011 at 5:00 PM
    ilovemountains

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bakerton WV
    My new to me 02 had Continental LT/ SUV tires on it, that have about 85% tread left, Im not sure how old they are though.. It had a pretty good 70mph shimmy with them on it. My 88 has Bridgestone Dueler AT Revo 2's on it, after getting 50k out of a set of the original Revos it was a no brainer. I went with the Dynapros after reading a lot of great reviews on them, having never owned Hankook tires I thought Id give them a shot! Im stuck with them either way so Ill def. post back in a few hundred miles! I just hope they dont get louder....

4. Oct 14, 2011 at 8:19 AM
    bassTaco

bassTaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma D-Cab Prerunner V6
    I just had the same Hankook tires installed this past week but in 265/75-16 size. I agree that its still too early to give a review on new tires but here are my first impressions so far. My previous tires were Bridgeston Dueler Revo2 but in stock size, 265/70-16. I only had a little over 30k miles on them but one of the tires got damaged beyond repair and had to be replaced. I was already planning to get a bigger aspect ratio tire after my Revo2's so I was really hoping to use them for 50k miles but those plans got shot. Anyhow, I got a good price from Discount Tire on the Hankook tires everyone raves about in this forum so I decided to replace all my tires.
    Close to about 100mi on them and so far I love the ride much more with these tires. One thing very obvious with the ride is that these tires feel like they have more roll into them on turns but I don't know if that's because of the increase of sidewall or the design of the tire itself. I want to say its the larger sidewall that gives it this feel. Its not a problem at all though. Definitely these tires have a more aggressive look than the Revo2's and I think they will complement my small lift in the near future. So far I am loving these tires but I do wish I could have used the full life of the tire on my Revo2's for the sake of using that money towards something else.
    Anyhow, let us know how they feel after some more miles on them. I'll probably provide some feedback as well. Thanks!

5. Oct 14, 2011 at 3:47 PM
    ilovemountains

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Bakerton WV
    I agree that the Revo 2's are not quite as agressive as the DP2's but they have been geat! Im going to let them break in for a thousand miles and report back...Ive put over 60k on the Revo's Revo 2's over the last 10 years without an issue, the Hankooks do look good but if the wet traction is a bad as it was this past week Im going to be upset... I honestly only use my truck when I need to haul or when its raining / snowing so its a big deal to me!!!!

6. Oct 14, 2011 at 4:55 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Matt... something is very wrong if you hear the tires any more than the BFGs... I have had mud tires, and I know loud!

Your tire pressure is wayyy tooo lowww... They are happy closer to 40 psi (they are a 44 psi MAX. tire... and the BFG Rugged Trails were only a 35 psi MAX. tire. (29 front./ 32 rear is what Toyota recommends on the BFGs... If the better Hankook tires have a 9 psi higher max. pressure, then it would make sense to adjust up the Toyota recommendation... not necesarily by 9 psi (38 front/ 41 rear)... but my truck and tires drive nice and quiet at 38-40 psi on the highway.

7. Oct 14, 2011 at 5:40 PM
    bassTaco

bassTaco Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    04 Tacoma D-Cab Prerunner V6
    I haven't run my new tires on wet road. But aside from look, function is more important so I would be upset too if they didn't perform good on a wet surface. I'll have to see for myself when we get some rain here in Texas. Hope its just a break-in period.

8. Oct 14, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    S.S.T.

S.S.T. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    Icon 2.5 Extended Travel Coilovers, 5100 rears, Icon Progressive 3 leaf AAL, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/75R16, 16x8 Renegade 6 wheels, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, BHLM.
    I run my ATMs at 34/32.

9. Oct 14, 2011 at 6:44 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC SR5
    WeatherTech liners, Kenwood Media Receiver, Alpine S 6x9 speakers, Sound Ordnance 8" Sub, OEM running boards, MK6 wheels, Dynapro ATs, Tint, Bed Mat, Avid light bar, KC Daylighters
    Probably due to the lighter weight, makes sense. I run 37 or 38 all around in my DC 4x4.

10. Oct 14, 2011 at 6:49 PM
    S.S.T.

S.S.T. Well-Known Member

Member:
    Torrance, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road Access Cab
    Icon 2.5 Extended Travel Coilovers, 5100 rears, Icon Progressive 3 leaf AAL, Hankook Dynapro ATM 265/75R16, 16x8 Renegade 6 wheels, AFE Pro Dry S air filter, BHLM.
    Fatty :p

OP has a 1st Gen and is lighter than mine. I don't think the tire pressure is the issue. My tires sometimes lose traction in the rain as I'm making a turn from a stopped position. I chalk it up to a light bed and my heavy foot.

11. Oct 14, 2011 at 6:57 PM
    90YotaPU

90YotaPU The Messiah

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Union County, NJ
    Vehicle:
    1990 Toyota 4x4 (Pre-Taco)
    Aftermarket Stereo, Spidertrax Wheel Spacers, HF Air Horns, 3" Lift
    You'll definitely see a change. I've had my ATM's offroad several times and we got slammed last year with snow and they handled as good as the BFG A/T's I had on my Tacoma. I'm actually surprised at what you're experiencing at this point cause I don't remember a break in period for mine.

12. Oct 14, 2011 at 7:19 PM
    SoCo

SoCo Hateful Respect

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    3rd gen T4R 5spd.
    There's not enough bandwidth for what's happening.
    I had Hankook ATMs on my 1st gen ... I thought they were great in both rain and snow. Give 'em some more break in time before disappointment.

13. Oct 14, 2011 at 8:09 PM
    Polymerhead

Polymerhead Well-Known Member

Member:
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    '10 4x4 DC SR5
    WeatherTech liners, Kenwood Media Receiver, Alpine S 6x9 speakers, Sound Ordnance 8" Sub, OEM running boards, MK6 wheels, Dynapro ATs, Tint, Bed Mat, Avid light bar, KC Daylighters
    :eek: Workin on it - I'm down 10 lbs in the last couple weeks.

If I go Hankooks again, I'm definitely getting the LTs. My P-series are doin' fine but I do not like the sidewall flex. Looking forward to seeing how they do this winter!

14. Nov 22, 2011 at 9:26 PM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    well i'm glad i'm not the only one that thinks they absolutely suck in the rain as far as traction goes.
    yes they are quiet, and stick like glue in the dry but on wet pavement they slide like a really bald tire.
    when you have to brake on wet pavement with some force, get ready for some straight ahead sliding, even abs won't help you hah
    at first i thought it was them breaking in, but only got worse not better.
    freeway speed curves it's right at the limit of breaking lose sideways.
    didn't think i'd have to baby wet driving so much.
    i was expecting a lot more from this tire based on the reviews...:rolleyes:

ps:
    and i'm not even taking into account that i got a nail in one of them within 50 miles of putting them on (repaired right from the inside patch, no issues after 1k miles)

pros: they look good, handle good on dry, quiet

in comparison, BFG KO ATs were really loud humming noise producers, good stiff sidewalls, they'd still break loose on wet pavement, but too heavy for the Tacoma, didn't have them long enough to take them off road, the humming drove me nuts.

will probably be trying Revo2 soon...or Cooper AT3s both softer compound which will help in the wet, i really want traction not million miles durability hard compound tires at this point...

15. Nov 22, 2011 at 9:32 PM
    easyeatlanta

easyeatlanta Artificial Intelligence beats natural stupidity

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Memphis
    Vehicle:
    14 DC Trd Off Road
    i love my hankooks but all the tires i have had so far have gotten loose on me in rainy days, which i actually find quite fun. that being said they have tracked well through snow and mud and they arent nearly as loud as other ats

16. Nov 23, 2011 at 7:42 AM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Marcos, Alta California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 2 Hella 4000 HID, 1 Cibie Halogen. Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Of my 3 Tacomas, and 6 different models of tires on them (BFG Rugged Trails, Optima Dakotas, Cooper STTs, Cooper ATRs, Toyo Open Country ATs, and now the Hankooks)... I never had wet road problems with the Hankook DynaPro ATMs. All small trucks with emty beds easily spin in the rear on rainy days with a heavy foot. TRAC and 4WD can reduce the spin out, if it is a problem. VSC will stop the over steer on turns at speed. The DynaPros have been nothing short of an amazing tire, IMO.

17. Nov 23, 2011 at 8:42 AM
    Hayes

Hayes Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Regular Cab Tacoma 4x4
    I have the ATM's in 265/75r16 on my '11 regular cab and I love them. I have them at 40 psi. I think they ride great, aren't any noisier than the stock Dunlops, and offer better traction. I noticed in our first snow storm / ice the next day that they slid around. I dropped the pressure from 40 psi to 30 psi and had no more problems. Once the streets dried up again, I bumped the pressure back to 40 psi.

Pressure plays a huge part with these tires. When the weather is wet out, drop the pressure.

For the record, I have ~2800 miles on these now.

18. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:06 AM
    Eurosport

Eurosport Well-Known Member

Member:
    that's already a given, all tires would have that problem.

but in my case, sliding sideways and crossing over the other lane while doing a roundabout is not cool.
    if i do emergency braking coming up to a stop light, i end up in the middle of the intersection, good thing it's at night with 0 cars around, and i'm testing them out. just straight ahead sliding, abs pumps but not enough traction from the tire to help with the stopping distance...
    so yes i'm dissapointed in their wet traction.

i will try lowering the pressure...

19. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:15 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T Quite an experience to live in fear , isn't it ?

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Doesn't 40 psi seem like a lot ?

20. Nov 23, 2011 at 9:34 AM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    North DFW
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB Sport 2wd
    5100s @ 0.85, Grom iPod/Bluetooth adapter, mud flaps removed, clear turn signal bulbs, TSB leafs, two extra D-rings, debadged, fog light anytime, OEM bed mat, Undercover classic, Hankook Dynapro ATM, Fumoto valve

Agree. My wet traction seems worse than with my stock Deulers.

Same here, the truck felt as if it was taking a half second more for it to respond to steering input because of the sidewall roll. I've got a few thousand miles on mine.

The wet traction may just be isolated incidents since it hasn't really rained much out here this year, but the sloppy sidewall is bothering me (I don't really notice it much anymore, but I guess I've gotten used to it, not good!) I guess I get what I pay for (they were one of the cheaper ones I found). So far, I don't think I will buy these again.

To Top