1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New engine wiring harness??

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Smarty, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Sep 20, 2014 at 4:56 PM
    Smarty

Smarty [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma quad cab
    Engine light has been coming on intermittently, loss of power then won't shift into 5th gear. Codes show knock sensor. Dealer says they have to pull off my intake just to kinda figure it out....$700. Brought it to a trusted garage, they tested with an ohmmeter, sub harness to knock sensor and all is good, tested harness from sub harness connector to connector before computer and there is a short in the red and green wires. When jiggling the harness it connects and disconnects. No sign of rodent chewing. That garage quoted me $1500 to replace entire harness. Ouch! Is there any way to replace just the two wires? Is this a common problem? My Tacoma is an 07 with only 60,000 miles. Help please.

2. Sep 20, 2014 at 5:04 PM
    Vang Toua Moua

Vang Toua Moua Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vang Bang
    Visalia, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Silver Tacoma 2.7, Access cab, 5 lug
    Custom front bumper and rock sliders, glasspack muffler, shorten exhuast, abs killswitch, roof light bar, rear e locker.
    Cut the portion that's shorted, replace with same gauge fuseable link. Re wrap everything and it should be good.

3. Sep 22, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    Smarty

Smarty [OP] New Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    07 tacoma quad cab
    Thanks, problem is I don't know where it is shorting. As far as I know it could be anywhere from the connector at the board to the connector at the sub harness. I was thinking I could just replace the wires but not sure about the way they connect into the ends of the harness. Thoughts? Thanks for the reply!

4. Sep 24, 2014 at 5:43 AM
    Marosie

Marosie Active Member

Member:
    Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport
    WeatherTech Floor Mats, WeatherTech Window Deflectors, Pop & Lock remote Tailgate Lock, Amp Research Bed Step, Side Step Bars, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Exhaust, Bonjovi Acoustics Amp, Salexorganizer Glove Compartment Organizer, Bar Caddy Centre Console Organizer, Toyota Hard Bed Divider (SOLD), Extang Solid Fold Tonneau Cover (SOLD), Access AA Battery LED Bed Light, SpiderTrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers. Undercover Bakflip G2 Tonneau Cover, Dick Cepek Trail Country Tires (265/75/17), HomerTaco Mesh Grille, Readylift 3" front level with 2" rear lift, PrInSu Design Studio Roof Rack,
  5. Sep 24, 2014 at 8:55 AM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    Old style (smelly) moth balls/ice in a fabric bag secured under the hood. The engine stops, and the heat/moth smell will keep 'em out.

6. Jan 14, 2016 at 4:49 AM
    DSS

DSS New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma 4door 4x4 white
    Tonneau cover; tailgate key lock; front tow hitch and 5 ton winch; forward & backward video & audio recorder on mirror; WeatherTech floor mats;
    Just a matter of time until there is a class-action law suit because 2014 Tacoma wiring harness insulation is made of soy, sugar, peanut oil, rice husks, wood, and vanilla smelling substances. I paid $501 deductible of $3,005 to replace tasty main engine harness chewed by rodents. It is no coincidence that all 6 members of my family had this expensive problem in the last few years, but never before in over 60 years. See: www.synlube.com For more information about tasty wires.
    Afterward, I placed a cloth bag of mothballs in 4 corners of the engine compartment, installed a 6-month-battery-powered sound-emitting deterrent device, a light-emitting deterrent device, and sprayed the engine compartment with a rodent repellent.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  7. Jun 22, 2016 at 5:39 PM
    rob1208

rob1208 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma DCSB MGM TRD OR
    TRD Supercharger AFE CAI ProDryS ADS 2.5 Remote Resi Shocks ADS Rear Piggy Back 10" Travel Shocks ADS 2.0 Rear Hydro Bump Kit Deaver U402 Leaf Pack + Add a Leaf MCM Fab Uniball UCAs TC Spindle Gussets BAMF 100% Bolt On Sliders BAMF 1/4" Steel Skid Trilogy BAMF Diff Diaper Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper with Warn VR10000-s Winch Brute Force Fab High Clearance Dual Swingout Rear Bumper Custom Car Grills Mesh Grill Insert Stealth Custom Series SR8 - Matte Black 16x8 285/75/16 Toyo Tires Open Country AT2 Relentless Fabrication Ditch Light Bracket Mounts 2x2 Ditch Lights Apex Fab Works Flush Lower Grill Light Bar Mounts Caliraised 32" Light Bar Tech Deck Extreme Vagabond Outdoors Drifter
    actually going through this issue now. Knock sensor CEL (P0333), my shop used a scope and said wires look good, took it to toyota and they just called today saying they **think** rats chewed the harness and want me to Ok them pulling off the top of the engine and verifying their guess. Would be ok except their guess could cost me $1800 in labor if they're wrong. hoping it really is just a bad sensor and not chewed wires.

8. Mar 24, 2017 at 6:54 AM
    Seattlewill

Seattlewill New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Will
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    Rob - Hello. What battery-powered device did you use and did it work? Mothballs huh?

Products Discussed in

To Top