1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New England B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'North East' started by mach1man001, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Jan 11, 2019 at 2:54 AM
    Chasespeed

Chasespeed Well-Known Member

Member:
    WMass
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OffRoad
    Seeing how long I can keep stock(ish)
    It wont. We had one on the caddy.

Pretty much all I would consider for a catback at this point, except maybe a Borla s type for the taco. The current one in the charger can get irritating when cruising at certain speeds... it will be replaced with a corsa extreme(same sound we have now, no drone).

Pugga, Bridge4 and tacobell007 like this.
  2. Jan 11, 2019 at 2:57 AM
    tacobell007

tacobell007 Does that have the v6?

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets
    Yea I saw they have a no drone guarantee. I only had the option for a Corsa Sport

Chasespeed and Bridge4 like this.
  3. Jan 11, 2019 at 5:27 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '18 Ford F-250 SCREW
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Damn, I'm jealous! Any other brands you looked at, other than Corsa? I'd love to throw a Borla on the 6.2 but, since I love when the kids sleep for long trips, I don't think I'd ever do it.

tacobell007 likes this.
  4. Jan 11, 2019 at 5:33 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 vir prudens non contra ventum mingit

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    Deliberately stock daily driver
    It's remarkable, how compact it's gotten. Now I just need to find my LOTR audiobooks and rip those on to the flash drive as well, and I'll have around 100 hours of nerd in my truck :laugh:
    And Happy Birthday, btw.

Sloth and Bridge4 like this.
  5. Jan 11, 2019 at 5:46 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Eibach springs, OME Dakars, Walker Evans remote resi coilovers with adjustable dampening, Icon tubular uniball UCAs, Icon ext travel rear shocks, Kenwood in-dash nav receiver, Kicker 10 inch sub in a ported truck box, Alpine 250 watt amp, stickers, Rigid 32" gang box, LED tool box lights, 35% tint, Flowmaster Super 44 muffler, 35x12.5x17 Mastercraft Courser MXT's, Fuel Off-Road Trophy d551 in 17x8.5, Retros, white corner marker bulbs, color matched front grille, custom satoshi grille mod with matching Toyota badge, aFe Pro5R drop in filter, diff breather mod, new frame from recall, SOS concepts front plate, SOS concepts rear high clearance plate with swing out and full size spare, SOS bolt-on sliders with kickout, 22" LED bar, flush mount pods in rear plate bumper for aux reverse lights, Rigid Industries dually's on SOS ditch light brackets
    MBRP, Flowmaster, and I did check out Borla and also db Sport (Corsa). I went this way since it is a lifetime warranty, no drone guarantee, and full 304 stainless

mach1man001 [OP] likes this.
  6. Jan 11, 2019 at 5:50 AM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    That's what I've got on my Corvette. It sounds nearly stock unless I goose it a little. Sometimes I wish it was a little louder, but it's nice having to never worry if I'm going to get hassled for it.

tacobell007 likes this.
  7. Jan 11, 2019 at 5:50 AM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    The exhaust on the STi used to lull Amy to sleep?

8. Jan 11, 2019 at 5:52 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Yea that's pretty much why I went this way too, I do wish it was a little louder but I'm fine with it, it sounds nice

Chasespeed likes this.
  9. Jan 11, 2019 at 6:25 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '18 Ford F-250 SCREW
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    And that would be fine. But it's also the difference between that tuner hum and what could be an all out assault on your ear drums that comes with some aftermarket exhausts when put behind a V8. I'm sort of torn, the cabin is so well sound proofed it's almost like what's the point of an exhaust. If I get something loud enough to hear in the cab, it's likely going to be obnoxious outside. When I really 'give it the beans', you can hear it in the cab anyways so I'm almost tempted to get an intake instead of an exhaust. Or... I could be a responsible adult, keep it stock and live vicariously through everyone else. I already do have a few 'functional' mods that I've done to make it stand out a bit.

Bridge4 likes this.
  10. Jan 11, 2019 at 6:27 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black GMC Sierra SLE 5.3L
    My first car had an 8-track. I could fit like 5 albums in the glove compartment max.

11. Jan 11, 2019 at 6:45 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    May want to look into the aFe intakes. I just put an aFe Super Stock intake on the Tundra as well :anonymous: (I got the Pro 5R drop in instead of the Pro Dry-S filter)

Skierrichy likes this.
  12. Jan 11, 2019 at 6:47 AM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    Responsibility, what's that?

An intake wouldn't be a terrible option, because you'd get some noise on acceleration and nowhere else. I am getting a bit old I guess in that I'm finding myself liking loud exhaust a bit less here and there. A bone stock truck with a stupid loud exhaust has turned into "really?" where 18 year old me would be like "cool!"

Hot take incoming - I still have yet to hear a Tacoma with aftermarket exhaust that sounded good. Even the TRD exhaust they put on the 4.0L stock was enough to make me not want to purchase the Pro / Baja.

Skierrichy, Bridge4 and tacobell007 like this.
  13. Jan 11, 2019 at 7:04 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '18 Ford F-250 SCREW
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's sort of my thinking. It will stay stock under most driving conditions, until I really bury my foot in it, then I'll hear it. I still absolutely love the sound of a good exhaust on a V8, but towing has changed my view on wanting on for MY truck. Towing with a gasser, it inherently spends a lot of time in the higher RPM range and, while I like the exhaust note, I don't want to hear it for 4-6 hours on end. Same might happen with an intake, but I've found them to be a little more subtle.

Bridge4 and tacobell007 like this.
  14. Jan 11, 2019 at 7:08 AM
    MikeyMcFly

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    Building a Broja
    Back in my import tuner days (yeah yeah) I had an Accord with an AEM cold air intake and an A'pex-i World Sport 2 exhaust. The exhaust was whisper quiet at idle and only got loud in the higher RPM range (no fart cannon BS). The AEM would be louder than the exhaust but was a function of throttle position rather than actual RPM.

tacobell007 likes this.
  15. Jan 11, 2019 at 7:10 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    Here's the one on the tundra. I get a whistle from about 10% to 20% throttle and after that it's all motor noise

1225181311_HDR.jpg 1225181315_HDR.jpg

Skierrichy and Pugga like this.
  16. Jan 11, 2019 at 7:11 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '18 Ford F-250 SCREW
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Hmmm.... that's good to know. With the F150, I'd tow in manual mode, lock it into 4th or 5th and have my foot at WOT. Keeps RPMs lower and let the engine use it's torque rather than rev the shit out of the engine. My current trailer is so light, I just let the F250 do it's thing in auto but, once we go with a heavier trailer, I'll likely be in the same position. I might want to rethink this...

17. Jan 11, 2019 at 7:12 AM
    Pugga

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '18 Ford F-250 SCREW
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I saw a Tundy in front of my office yesterday that shoehorned a single stack LED light bar into that fake hood scoop at the front of the hood. It was very clean, I'll get a picture if I see it again but the guy was in his truck yesterday. Just giving you more ideas!

tacobell007 likes this.
  18. Jan 11, 2019 at 7:14 AM
    tacobell007

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Westfield, MA
    Vehicle:
    06 Regular Cab Lifted
    I appreciate it! Just an idea to see if they have an intake for your truck. That one one sale was like $185

19. Jan 11, 2019 at 7:16 AM
    bucktales

bucktales curmudgeon

Member:
    Ct.
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport / 2014 FJC/ 1972 Nova
    Had Corsa on my GMC and it sounded the same.
    Have Borla 2 1/2 " duals off the headers on the Nova. She barks well.

tacobell007 likes this.
  20. Jan 11, 2019 at 7:25 AM
    Bridge4

Bridge4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I'm with you here, although when I hear a crazy exhaust it's usually a ricer or a super duty with a huge lift...neither cars do it for me these days.

I think on a nice v-8 they can work well. Its very hard to find a good sounding v-6, but I have seen borla put out some nice sounds. Most just throw out a shit ton of drone, which is good enough for some people, but isn't what i would want.

Products Discussed in

To Top