1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New England B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'North East' started by mach1man001, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Jan 29, 2020 at 6:53 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    SOS bolt-on sliders In-cab sleeping platform J-Dub IFS Skid
    For me it was adaptive cruise. I've seen on the F150 forums that some owners are dropping it in on trucks without it, but that seems a bit sketchy to me. But yeah the 2.7 is probably what I'd be getting. Don't tempt me with that MPG.

Weird that mechanic said Ford was expensive but GM wasn't. Maybe another anti-turbo :p

Right now, aye. I agree. If I didn't get my Tacoma, it was almost definitely an F150 either the 2.7 or 5.0.

Waiting for the tundra next gen info to drop. The only thing that will pull me out of the Tacoma is if the tundra is cost-effective to go hybrid and is a great vehicle (and maybe the 4th gen Tacoma can do the same). I'm averaging about 16.5-17mpg in the tacoma, mostly driving city style to and from work, but that's also only since December, all cold weather. I would love a hybrid, but if it's an extra 20k to go hybrid, then that outweighs the cost of the fuel to keep it without hybrid, and it's a simpler vehicle. Lots of stuff to consider with it. :) For that much, I could also just buy a second car! :D

If it's a plug in hybrid I'm basically sold. My commute is about 5 miles. I could run basically full electric 90% of the time.

2. Jan 29, 2020 at 7:12 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Ford doesn't make the vehicle I want!! I need a 6.5 foot bed and I need real rear passenger doors, not suicide doors. And the truck can't be 27 feet long so I can't get a Super Crew with an 8' bed. Maybe they have changed their packages since but when I looked in 2017 they did not have such an animal. Plus I hate to say, as much as this GMC is a rusty mess, it's a fantastic driving vehicle and I really liked the look of the '17 body style (not the case with the new ones). I think the RAM is the best looking of the new bunch, and that includes the Tundra. Redesign would be good!

Blackbeard83 likes this.
  3. Jan 29, 2020 at 7:16 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    o_O

Capture.jpg

Edit- Also available as an XLT, Lariat, Platinum, King Ranch, or Limited

Blackbeard83, Bridge4 and tacobell007 like this.
  4. Jan 29, 2020 at 7:48 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    LD yeah I'd be in an F150 in a hearbeat. But for anything HD I think it's kind of a crapshoot, nothing really sticks out. Not a fan of the newest GM HD truck looks either.

tacobell007 likes this.
  5. Jan 29, 2020 at 8:29 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I'd love to have the adaptive cruise, but I'm not sure that's something I want to add after the fact. Parts alone are over $500 and the installation is fairly involved from both a parts and programming perspective. It's been done, but it's beyond something I'd want to tackle.
    If you're on the fence with an HD truck, like needing something heavier than a typical half ton but not quite ready to jump to a 3/4 ton, check out the heavy payload packages on the F150 and I don't recall what Chevy calls theirs. I don't remember seeing a similar package from Ram but I could be mistaken. At least with the F150, the package includes heavier springs, an upgrade axle and LT tires (I believe E-rated tires). For a typical F150 crew cab, the payload is in the 1,400 lb range, with the heavy payload package it's like 2,200-2,400 lbs.

6. Jan 29, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    Makes sense. But, I'd be hard pressed to be moving more than the Tacoma can handle anyway. I don't need anything bigger than the 2.7 Ford can handle, and even at that, that's more than I would need :)

Yeah it's definitely an involved install, and last I saw it was about $1k in parts. Do-able, but really involved. Which is why I went with the tacoma, has it already. And not to mention if you got into an accident even though it wasn't your fault, using that jimmy rigged adaptive cruise. X.X can't imagine what insurance would do to your wallet.

Actually, to add to it...depends what Ford does with their hybrid F150 as well. I'm either going to have my tacoma 20+ years, or drop it in 5 to get a hybrid. If it's a plug in hybrid, even more likely.

7. Jan 29, 2020 at 10:22 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    Don't worry, I'll find something wrong with it

Blackbeard83 and Clark27 like this.
  8. Jan 29, 2020 at 10:24 AM
    Noelie84

Noelie84 What Could Possibly Go Wrong?

Member:
    First Name:
    Noel
    Wales, Maine
    Vehicle:
    '15 Ram 2500 Land Barge
    8.5 Fisher XV2, some switches, some lights.
    A properly rust-proofed frame?

:stirthepot:

9. Jan 29, 2020 at 10:35 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    Hahahaha, exactly! You sonofabitch, I just configured a nice F250 for under 50k that I might need to consider here...

Pugga likes this.
  10. Jan 29, 2020 at 12:45 PM
    LivinLoud

LivinLoud Miller Latte Advocate

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    ECOBOOST
    I mean… it’s a Ford, you don’t care
    so Ive been working some midnight shifts lately, and because of a lack of stimulation, my mind starts running. Last night I began thinking about the fact that my wife and I are expecting our first child this coming summer, and I need to start making a list of things to get for the babys room. Other than the obvious crib, changing table, and diaper disposal thing... do any of you pro's have any advise on other things to add to the list?

11. Jan 29, 2020 at 12:54 PM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo
    A pack n play, Sanity, a fucked up sense of humor ( which you already have), and a shit ton of onesies. Lol. I can work up a good list for you.

At your baby shower, ask for diapers (of all sizes not just infant) and baby books.

12. Jan 29, 2020 at 1:35 PM
    crashngiggles

crashngiggles Tacomaworld's Resident Psych Dr.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jared
    Wilbraham, Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM TRD 4x4 DCLB Trail Limo
    @LivinLoud And btw, Kirkland brand diapers are awesome. You can get them at Costco and figuratively and literally both of my daughter threw so much shit at them and they took whatever was given to them and came back for more.

DrFunker and LivinLoud like this.
  13. Jan 29, 2020 at 1:38 PM
    LivinLoud

LivinLoud Miller Latte Advocate

Member:
    First Name:
    TJ
    Western mass
    Vehicle:
    ECOBOOST
    I mean… it’s a Ford, you don’t care
    thats where we planned on getting those:crapstorm:

14. Jan 29, 2020 at 2:32 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    https://www.target.com/p/fisher-price-baby-s-bouncer-lion-around/-/A-75568340

Our newest LOVES this.

https://www.amazon.com/Boppy-Original-Newborn-Lounger-Elephant/dp/B014A7MABU

Our first loved that and regularly napped in it.

Other things to consider:
    - A good camera system for the crib
    - A larger than you'd expect to need diaper bag. There's a lot to bring, especially when they're young.

LivinLoud[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Jan 29, 2020 at 2:33 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    That's the exact truck I have, the 'short box' for the F250 is the 6.75' bed. You can get them in the F150 flavor as well although they're a little more difficult to find. For the 150, the 6.5' option with the crew cab is the long bed.

16. Jan 29, 2020 at 2:46 PM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Winter has been 19-20, Summer is typically about 22. I've seen 24 on the highway as long as I keep my speeds reasonable. My truck's mileage is impacted by speed a bit more than the typical 2.7 because I have 3.73 gears. But 3.73s and the 2.7 make for one quick truck!

A friend let me borrow his 2019 5.3 Silverado for a couple days while I had some paint work done on my truck (trash barrel incident left me with scratches I couldn't live with). It averaged about 1.5 MPG less than my truck on the same roads, and he has 3.23 gears. I was impressed that GM improved the drivetrain, though--I always hated the previous 5.3s because the throttle made them feel so piggish. Not the case on the latest generation.

I actually like the suicide doors. I usually put things in the back and not people, so the lack of the B pillar and flat floor make it easy to load in large objects. It looks like the 2021 redesign still has them--if I saw indications that it didn't, I probably would have ordered a 2020.

I tried to get the 2.7 payload package when I ordered my truck because it bumps towing up another thousand pounds and payload up a good amount too. Couldn't get it on anything beyond an STX or base XLT, unfortunately.

I'd consider a 3.5 next time. I love my 2.7 and it does everything I need to, but you can get the max tow package on a 3.5 which adds a lot of the options you need to individually add to a 2.7. In the end it makes the 3.5 barely more expensive.

I saw the new Tundra isn't until 2022, so I'll probably end up with another F-150. 3 Years is kind of my plan--if I wait too much longer I'll be up over 100k and value will start tanking.

I could get an F-250 Lariat for less than an F-150 Lariat. It's crazy. Only thing that stops me is it wouldn't fit in the garage and I don't want 3/4 ton gas mileage.

tacobell007 likes this.
  17. Jan 29, 2020 at 2:54 PM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    I like the extended cab too. My goal with my Tacoma is to rip out the 60 percent seat and put a dog crate back there. The Ford can basically do that from the factory. But those doors do apparently tend to leak over time. If it's not a 20 year rig, no worries. 2025 is ballpark when I'd want to trade in, maybe 2023 for my 30th :p but I don't want to be a Guinea pig for the new platform. So 2022 is fine with me, but yeah if you trade in often and drive for business a lot, probably not able to wait.

Chasespeed likes this.
  18. Jan 29, 2020 at 3:04 PM
    Rexfordian13

Rexfordian13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Albany/NY Capital District
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Sport DCSB MT
    It’s funny that the picture of an infant on the boppy showed up on the home page! I’m also easily amused. And over tired.

LivinLoud likes this.
  19. Jan 29, 2020 at 3:31 PM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    2021 is my 30th, so I guess that's another excuse to do it then!

I drive about 25k miles/year. Work is over 50 miles round trip if I only go to my office, so I put miles on quick.

20. Jan 29, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    Ok, so that's what the difference is, I was looking at the F150 last round. And I would have had to order the 6.75' bed crew cab instead of buying a current model late in the year. I usually buy in Novemeber because they are starting to work on the current year inventory pricing to move them, but they still usually have inventory. But not Ford, they sell too well. That should tell me something. My Sierra is a pretty high end package, they still had it in November of '17, it stickered for 49k and I got it for 38. But it's not holding value like the Yotas... or probably even the Fords. My trade value is looking pretty bleak but whatever. Maybe I'll just have to take the hit on my next truck and order the Ford. I have spent a lot of time today browsing the F250s and I'm in love... nice trucks, best looking of the 3/4s in my opinion.

Products Discussed in

To Top