1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New England B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'North East' started by mach1man001, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Oct 20, 2020 at 2:06 PM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    SOS bolt-on sliders In-cab sleeping platform J-Dub IFS Skid
    @jpereira2 does a good job :D

I was just curious, I looked at maybe getting a Gen 1 when I was looking at trucks. The V6 was meh, they had a few V8s I thought that were decent, then you had the inline 5 where the first iteration was good but slow, and then they upped the displacement in the next iteration which (I thought was) reliable.

jpereira2 and Bridge4[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Oct 20, 2020 at 2:25 PM
    Bridge4

Bridge4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    I won’t lie and say I didn’t take a hard glance. They make some stuff that’s really appealing to me on a surface level but my soul won’t let me do it.

GarlicFarts[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Oct 20, 2020 at 2:52 PM
    jpereira2

jpereira2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2013 double cab trd off road
    Bilstein 6112 4th notch Bilstein 5160 rear Camburg ball joint UCAs Old man emu dakar leafs 265/75R16 Cooper ST Maxx Crux stereo a/v interface UltraGauge ARE fiberglass cap Wet okole seat covers Retro fit source Led fog lights Superbrightled pods in rear bumper Superbrightled light bar in grill Rock blokz mud flaps SOS Rock Sliders RCI Skid Plates (to be painted and mounted)
    Thanks for the kind words @taco-houla

@Sloth from what I've read on FB they are booked through December

4. Oct 20, 2020 at 3:07 PM
    ABNFDC

ABNFDC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Granite State
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD Access Cab TRD OR "Rugged Trail"
    265/75/16 Wildpeaks, Dakar rear, HS 2.5" front coils
    Are they still owned by Fiat? Not sure if I could do that. Of course I've owned 3 Dodges(86, 93, 01) and a Fiat(a Duna 60).
    Of course, my 6AM roll over and look at the ipad move was to build and price a Ram Rebel. My 08 Taco is getting long in the tooth and may be losing coolant---is losing coolant. Not a ton and I haven't really checked it out yet.

5. Oct 20, 2020 at 4:02 PM
    vssman

vssman Rocket Engineer

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Naugatuck, CT
    Vehicle:
    2013 SR5 double cab
    I was a mechanic in the mid-later 80’s and the dealership would bring up a truckload of those Caddy’s from Pompano Cadillac in FLA. There’s one wire on the side of the transmission that you cut and it stays as V8 - fuel injected 425 CI caddy motor would rip for its day.

6. Oct 20, 2020 at 4:51 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    Save up and get in addition to, not replacement of. I'm starting to save up to go back, or at least back into the import world, but keeping the Vette around for laughs.

emelianenkov[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Oct 20, 2020 at 6:52 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    Mine was the 4 cylinder. So many people I tell that story to assume it was the 5 cylinder, but both the engines had the same issue. Look up P0017 Colorado head and you'll get many hits..2004 to a good part of the 2006 run

My wife's Rav4 has a backup camera and I don't even bother using it unless I'm trying to park really close to something..but even then I just back in the old school way and fine tune my distance with the camera if that

Absolutely, the motor as a V8 wasn't the issue.

8. Oct 20, 2020 at 6:53 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 [OP] eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Uninsulated wiring sounds dangerous!

BTW, I won't be making it to the ENH run either. Besides having too much to do I spent 2 days polishing and waxing all the scratches I got on @crashnburn80 run!

How much do they charge? Nothing against you Jason @jpereira2 I like how the NH oil treatment is tinted black.

9. Oct 20, 2020 at 7:05 PM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    I could pull the old receipts from the previous owner. I want to say it was like $160 for the landcruiser.

10. Oct 20, 2020 at 8:13 PM
    jpereira2

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112 4th notch Bilstein 5160 rear Camburg ball joint UCAs Old man emu dakar leafs 265/75R16 Cooper ST Maxx Crux stereo a/v interface UltraGauge ARE fiberglass cap Wet okole seat covers Retro fit source Led fog lights Superbrightled pods in rear bumper Superbrightled light bar in grill Rock blokz mud flaps SOS Rock Sliders RCI Skid Plates (to be painted and mounted)
    Yea I think the cheapest shop near me is still double what I charge at like 80. I can do black if it's something everybody is interested in but I think I'll end up charging more. Forget what price difference is.

11. Oct 20, 2020 at 8:26 PM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    There's a mobile shop near me that does it. Mass mobile undercoating. They have spots in November.

jpereira2[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Oct 20, 2020 at 9:01 PM
    crashnburn80

crashnburn80 Vehicle Design Engineer

Member:
    Kirkland, WA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB TRD OR
    Go Hawks!
    I can make a pinstripe trail queen look like a street princess, at least for a short while.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  13. Oct 20, 2020 at 9:15 PM
    Greatdane01

Greatdane01 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen TRD Sport Tacoma
    3” lift, XD Wheels, BFG Tires, GT momentum cold air intake
    This wind noise you speak of.... this makes me curious. You see, I too have wind noise. No, not the burrito type. Literally, highway-wind noise... even when I’m not on the highway.

I might be sitting at a red light with oncoming traffic passing by- SWISHHHH SWISHHHHHHH as they pass right in my ear. It’s like the windows cracked down a little, but it’s not.

so you’re saying I can tone this down by adding 1/4” tubing under my existing door gaskets? How did you make it stay in place? The plot thickens.....

14. Oct 20, 2020 at 9:29 PM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 [OP] eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    I got it looking pretty darn good. Not perfect but really good. It is a 12yo truck after all!

I'll snap and post up some pictures tomorrow!

crashnburn80[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Oct 21, 2020 at 2:52 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    Laughs, is that what it gives you? :rofl::rofl:

Seems like its usually :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:

I am getting mine this morning from a place over the NY border thats 10 minutes from my house. They needscale it first, so you get rid of the surface rust and then cover it all up nice with some black NH Oil. Was almost $400 to do the entire dump truck we have and the dump body, but thats a big job and I think worth it.

My taco is going to be like $200 or so? Which is obviously a lot more than just an undercoating, but they pull the spare tires off and all that jazz and and descale before coating, I think thats where the extra money goes.

The descale and no travel or truck prep are what convinced me to pay a little extra and get a shop to do it.

16. Oct 21, 2020 at 3:49 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    GarlicFarts likes this.
  17. Oct 21, 2020 at 3:51 AM
    jpereira2

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    325 miles range is pretty good, until you tow then it's probably 1/3 and you'll have to wait however long it takes to charge before continuing. Hybrids are probably the future if towing until battery tech gets to where it needs to be. Believe me I follow all this electric stuff to a T and follow battery tech for work

GarlicFarts and Bridge4[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Oct 21, 2020 at 3:52 AM
    Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    South Central Mass
    Vehicle:
    2018 JKU "Golden Eagle" Edition
    80-115k? It’ll just be a status symbol like the Tesla cybertruck. Both ugly and not practical

GarlicFarts and Bridge4 like this.
  19. Oct 21, 2020 at 3:53 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    Yes, plug in hybrid is where we are at today in tech, anything else is for beautiful weather and cruising. Sorta like a convertible. I'd expect that 300 mile range drops a lot on a 0 degree day as well.

I am ALL FOR electric stuff and green energy, but it needs to make sense for me, I'm not in it just to be "green"

20. Oct 21, 2020 at 4:00 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I could say that about quite a few people or erhm... things...
    Plus, now you get to figure out how to get to a charging port with a trailer in tow as an added bonus.

I am sort of surprised they haven't found a way for the big, long haulers to use a diesel over electric hybrid like trains use. I can imagine it wouldn't be great for short hauls, but I have to imagine the cross country guys could make that system work.

Products Discussed in

To Top