1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New England B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'North East' started by mach1man001, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Apr 10, 2021 at 5:14 PM
    MikeyMcFly

MikeyMcFly This is heavy, Doc.

Member:
    I'm a Masshole
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Off-Road 6MT / 1999 Corvette 6MT
    Building a Broja
    The Telluride holds value like a Tacoma. That being said, there isn’t a lot of cash on the hood for them.

The Pallisade is the same car underneath but I don’t know if Hyundai is playing ball yet.

The Telluride is a ton of car for the money, I considered swapping out the Jeep more than once.

Bridge4[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Apr 10, 2021 at 8:54 PM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    SOS bolt-on sliders In-cab sleeping platform J-Dub IFS Skid
    What’s this 50 miles thing I thought you couldn’t bring wood across state lines. Am I allowed to if it’s within 50 miles? If so I can take a load. :spy:

Bridge4 likes this.
  3. Apr 11, 2021 at 1:59 AM
    Bridge4

Bridge4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade

Yes, there are not many available, a place in albany has a bunch though. I'm hoping they will work with us a bit on the price, I don't think they are open again until Monday. It probably makes sense to check out the Palisade too though you are right. I haven't researched the differences between the two but I do understand they are basically the same.

And you are right, when I was comparing what we would get vs "lux" brands or even a fucking explorer, the telluride blows them all out of the water. I get on some level this is KIA throwing a bone to people for their "breakout" car, but I'll take the bone. :thumbsup:

4. Apr 11, 2021 at 3:25 AM
    Fitzwilly

Fitzwilly Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    South Central Mass
    Vehicle:
    2018 JKU "Golden Eagle" Edition
    In my area, there are signs saying not to transport wood across county lines. Due to the Asian longhorn beetle.

5. Apr 11, 2021 at 4:27 AM
    Chasespeed

Chasespeed Just a monkey with a wrench

Member:
    In the woods...
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OffRoad
    Some stuff
    Mainly exterior styling. Seating position is different as well. But, the platform is the same.

And I would honestly consider the Stinger, Kia's "breakout"... that is fun.

6. Apr 11, 2021 at 4:40 AM
    Sloth

Sloth Baby Ruth?

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Democratic Peoples Republik of Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    07 FJ Cruiser, 98 Landcruiser
    Stuff
    Used my landcruiser for truck stuff Friday night. $35 ftw. Actually just rented a 6x12 trailer from uhaul. Picked up lumber/ composite decking to do our dock finally after 11 years at our house. Need to get it built before the water comes up since they just closed the dam at the other end of the lake. Doing a 4'x16' walkway with a 12'x12' dock. Didn't get started until about 5 last night, but got the walkway mostly framed besides adding more lateral support bridgers between the joists. Should be able to get the actual dock framed today. :bananadance:.

But God damn I should have just paid for home delivery. It took me from about 3 Friday afternoon to 10pm to pickup the trailer , get se stuff from lowes, load/ unload then go to home despot and do the same. But I'm cheap....
    20210411_072910.jpg

7. Apr 11, 2021 at 7:43 AM
    rustyfromskowhegan

rustyfromskowhegan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4
  8. Apr 11, 2021 at 8:24 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    Cut myself with my chainsaw this morning, probably wouldn’t have got me if I had pants on and not shorts :thumbsup:

then I went to flag our irrigation before we aerate tomorrow, a job I thought would take 5 minutes....is now going on 4 hours and there are like 5 heads I just can’t find for the life of me. What a day.

lunch break then gonna try to find em :fingerscrossed:

tacobell007 likes this.
  9. Apr 11, 2021 at 8:42 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    Breakout as in mainstream mom mobile. The stinger is a nice car tho, if I were ever getting a sports car I’d consider it in the top 5 probably for price range.

Chasespeed[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 11, 2021 at 9:13 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    yeah! ALB and there's a moth too, when I went to California they had an entry check and the guy commented about it, gypsy moth I think it was.

https://www.ri.gov/press/view/25159#:~:text=If you are a homeowner,move firewood in Rhode Island.

If you are a homeowner, you cannot purchase or move any firewood from Massachusetts or Connecticut for any purpose into Rhode Island. Even if you own property in Rhode Island as well as in Massachusetts or Connecticut, you cannot move firewood in Rhode Island.

Sorry @DoubleRGirl I ain't playing with that book of matches! It's kind of shenanigans because I could go up to Burriville which is closer to the breakout and infestation and get firewood no problem, but Attleboro is off limits.

Kia has really turned something on or off in the past few years. Unfortunately their drivetrains are still mediocre, but the cars are actually nice.

AND they're still (relatively) the cheap options, which is nice.
    https://www.kbb.com/comparison/2021-kia-forte-vs-2021-honda-civic-comparison/

22.8 vs 18.5 or roughly in that neighborhood. AND it can still get a manual! I don't like manuals for a daily driver I won't lie, but if it's MT vs CVT, that choice is 100% easy.

Stinger is a nice car too. Genesis is the Hyundai luxury brand that just started in the states a few years back. The Korean makes really turned up the volume in the past few years - I like it.

DoubleRGirl and Bridge4[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Apr 11, 2021 at 9:30 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    @Bridge4

https://librecad.org/
    Very close to ACAD

https://www.freecadweb.org/
    More in the solidworks realm than ACAD, but could work depending on how much you know CAD and want to work with it. For example you could build a library that is your tables and chairs dimensions and be able to import them, etc. And then, when it's all done, depending how much effort you want, you could do a 3D model of it and show that to clients.
    BUT - that's a lot of effort and it's not super easy to learn a parametric CAD software vs ACAD, if you're just using it for floorplans. Might not be worth the effort to learn it, running a business and with kids and 17 dogs, the time slots to spend to learn the program are limited :rofl:

Hey by the way, I'm going to put my QA hat on here. You have a disconnect between free and open source. ACAD is not free, Sketchup is free but not open source, Librecad (and other "open source") are open source.

The difference - Sketchup has this in their EULA/Terms and Conditions:
    Customer may access and use the Service during the term of this Agreement, but only (a) for its own benefit in a non-production environment for non-commercial purposes;

So - you are not circumventing or not paying for a license, like you did with ACAD on accident, but you ARE using a personal/free use software for a commercial purpose, which goes against the agreement.

With Librecad, you CAN use it for commercial purposes, the only rule about commercial use to worry about - you cannot sell your stuff and hide the source code from your customers. For example if I used Librecad as a platform and customized it and sold it to you as my own creation with your tables and floorplans as a library and locked you out of source code, that wouldn't be allowed. But for your use, you're in the clear with any open-source CAD program - I have used LibreCAD before and really like it. I have used one before several years ago, I think it was called ACAD (when I have all this time been using ACAD for Autocad, this time it is different I feel like I remember a specific program called "ACAD" but it's been a while)

Use it similar to your application - just wanted to draw something simple but didn't want to have the overhead of a full on CAD program.

Bridge4 likes this.
  12. Apr 11, 2021 at 9:34 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    Thank you for this very good breakdown and I really appreciate you taking the time. It sounds like librecad would be a good one to use without worrying about violating agreements or paying a few grand a year for a product we don’t really use.

GarlicFarts[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 11, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    I’m all for the Korean brands, they seem to be pushing where not many “American “ brands are. Most are built here anyways at this point too.

Chasespeed likes this.
  14. Apr 11, 2021 at 9:38 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    :thumbsup:

It's a great program and there's a lot of users, so I would think at least your very light use of it, any questions you would have are probably solved via some google-fu.

And I have an idea for your vehicle dilemma....

https://www.newenglandtransitsales.com/Bus/2016-ford-thomas-minotour-29-passenger-listing/

15. Apr 11, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    Chasespeed and Bridge4[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Apr 11, 2021 at 9:58 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
  17. Apr 11, 2021 at 10:02 AM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    My garage door opener failed yesterday. Sounds like something stripped out inside it. If I hit the button and lifted the door by hand to help it, it would open but was really jumpy like it was skipping teeth. Sticker said manufacturer date was January 2000 so I guess I shouldn't complain. It was a 1/2 HP Craftsman and from what I read it really should have been a 3/4 since my door is 16 ft wide and insulated.

I bought a 3/4 HP Chamberlain belt drive and just finished getting it up and setting the height stops. It's definitely a lot quieter. Super easy install. Everything was designed identically to the Craftsman so the new parts lined up perfectly. I didn't even use the new header bracket or sensor brackets since they were identical. Figured I would just keep the new ones as spares.

ACEkraut, Bridge4 and GarlicFarts like this.
  18. Apr 11, 2021 at 10:02 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    upload_2021-4-11_13-2-33.jpg

Spare Parts and PzTank like this.
  19. Apr 11, 2021 at 10:13 AM
    Bridge4

Member:
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2003 DCSB Imperial Jade
    to continue the sad reality, I did ride the short buss from 7th-12th grade as well. :anonymous:

20. Apr 11, 2021 at 10:15 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    :spy: same. They tell me it was because I was on a dead end street and couldn't get the big boy busses down the road.

Products Discussed in

To Top