1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New England B.S. Thread

Discussion in 'North East' started by mach1man001, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Dec 5, 2021 at 6:54 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 [OP] eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    I don't know why but Texas seems like a place I would not want to live.

2. Dec 5, 2021 at 7:06 AM
    2001Tacoma

2001Tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR I4
    For those of you that like to watch things in the sky there is an International Space Station tracker app that works well.

Screen Shot 2021-12-05 at 10.02.13 AM.jpg

3. Dec 5, 2021 at 7:49 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    SOS bolt-on sliders In-cab sleeping platform J-Dub IFS Skid
    Political reasons aside ....

• Cities are MASSIVE - Austin as a whole is about half the size of Rhode island. Dallas fort Worth is the size and more people than Rhode island.
    • The weather - it's desert or gulf. The desert is HOT. What I think is cool is some of the northern plains. There's no water mass to regulate it, and it's windy. It can get down to the mid 20s overnight in the winters and then sunny 80 in the days (Amarillo)
    • Public land. Take a look at the second map here - Texas does not have much public land access. https://texaslandconservancy.org/why-we-need-to-protect-private-land-in-texas/
    • The food - I love it, some don't
    • No good pizza - there was a 6 out of 10 place in Austin. The "best" NY pizza in Houston gets a 1 out of 10. The only ONLY thing they did right was put the (wrong kind of) pepperoni on after it came out the oven.
    • Driving - it's a regular occurrence to take a 3 hour each way trip, just casually. For us that gets us to the opposite extreme of the region. Mountains or ocean or evergreens up in Maine etc. Down there that's just Tuesday.
    • Homeless - everyone sends their homeless population down south for the weather. The same weather that attracts us to avoid the snow is what is healthy for someone to live without 4 walls. When it hits -30 in Bangor, people can die. Homelessness down in some of the bigger cities - I know of Austin because that's where we've looked to move - is a biiiiig problem down there.
    I'm highlighting negatives. There are bad parts of rhose island, mass, Vermont, etc too. There's a lot of positives.

That said as of recently - we've been reconsidering Austin and Texas. Heck even I am reconsidering leaving the Northeast, for now.

TBD. I am not one of those guys with a 5/10/15/10 year plan all laid out. It's funny at work they ask "where do you see yourself in 5 years" and I go into like 6 different scenarios. I roll with the lunches. :notsure:

I am in the landing path for Green - East Bay not right on the runways (poor bastards over there) - I have the flight tracking apps on my phone if I see something cool from the back yard.

There have been a few cool coast guard planes.

4. Dec 5, 2021 at 8:06 AM
    mach1man001

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    Nothing political about it.
    I can't see myself living in such a flat, spread out area with unpredictable weather. It's boiling hot, floods, and parts of it has ice storms (which they can not deal with) in the winter. No thanks, that does not sound enjoyable at all to me

5. Dec 5, 2021 at 8:20 AM
    Chasespeed

Chasespeed Just a monkey with a wrench

Member:
    In the woods...
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OffRoad
    Some stuff
    The last year or so... I've contemplated the same....

But, as mentioned...

All mentioned are valid points. That is why we VISIT the LARGE cities/metros... hell, we really only hit San Antonio to spend some time on the Riverwalk.

The geography is MUCH better here, much more diverse. The climate is hell.
    Spent 20 minutes outside, hooking my 1 ton up a battery tender, and my hands and toes are frozen.
    I DO have to spend significant time outside for work, depending on the jobsite, and I don't care who says what, when you need dexterity, you can't have gloves that'll keep you warm.
    Yeah, traveling 3-4 hours is something that happens...but, at least you get there.... it can take 3 hours to cover 80 miles in this region....
    Cost of living here is nuts, and getting worse.
    Physically, Im absolutely miserable. Only content from June to maybe early September.. hell we had a morning in the 40s this past July.
    It all boils down to what is best in the big picture.
    Is any one place better than the others? Not really.
    Honestly, Socal would be the best fit, climate, geography, but,( again, politics aside), we are back to ridiculous cost of living, and excessive legislation.

I hated Hampton Roads when I was stationed there...
    Now, it looks like a decent option... except I would have a difficult time making money there....

6. Dec 5, 2021 at 9:44 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    Oh I was just saying I won't get into any political differences :thumbsup: power grid is sort of in that list :rofl:

Typical winters are sunny and 65-70 with some chilly mornings.

Houston is a lot more consistent in climate on the gulf with the water.

Hill country is where it's at. Between the oil fields and the Colorado River.

Fair point - it took me 55 minutes to go 7 miles to work the other day. But that could happen anywhere if there is construction.

So Cal is out for me. Big fat no.

Phoenix. Albuquerque. Tucson. Mayyybe Santa Fe. I want to check out El Paso too.

If we do go chances are we'll land somewhere near San Antonio. Austin is cool but hot damn is it big and busy. But yeah cost of living too.

I think the desert Southwest not California will be where we end up looking. I really liked Phoenix and Tucson - so we'll probably end up moving down there and renting toward Austin for a while and explore the rest of it.

I can do remote, wife can't really so we will need to find a place to settle a bit.

But yeah man if I was working outside I'd be out of here in a heartbeat - maybe into Kentucky and Tennessee area if you don't want the hottest of the heat, decent geography, decent people, doesn't get AS cold in the winters.

7. Dec 5, 2021 at 9:46 AM
    mach1man001

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Well nobody can argue the cost of living here is crazy but salaries are usually based on such as well. I personally don't agree with you about the climate but that's my personal opinion (and others have theirs).I personally like the changes in weather we experience here in New England. I like winter almost as much as I like the summer. Skiing, snowmobiling and sledding are all things I like to do in the winter.

Chasespeed[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Dec 5, 2021 at 9:52 AM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    upload_2021-12-5_12-52-41.jpg

Sloth and Chasespeed like this.
  9. Dec 5, 2021 at 10:53 AM
    mach1man001

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    65-70 in the winter doesn't interest me.

It's interests me when it's frozen! Hockey would suck in a pond!!!

You can't do this either!

https://youtu.be/7OMpodVYn94

Vice grip garage is so funny!

10. Dec 5, 2021 at 11:22 AM
    Chasespeed

Member:
    In the woods...
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OffRoad
    Some stuff
    Back home, I can still ride year 'round, and go watch a game at the American Bank Center...
    We DO have ice rinks in the south....

GarlicFarts and vssman like this.
  11. Dec 5, 2021 at 12:17 PM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    I ain't gonna lie we went to Austin between Xmas and New year's 2019 just before the covid stuff became a thing - they had an ice rink for the holidays and it was uhhhhh.... I mean it HAD ice. It was about the size of my living room.

mach1man001[OP] likes this.
  12. Dec 5, 2021 at 12:21 PM
    TreeFortRichard

TreeFortRichard Barcelona Red is the best red...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    42.3115167,-71.6638516
    Vehicle:
    '23 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Download the SkyView app...I paid the $5 for no ads...It's amazing for identifying everything. It really helps when I'm out with my telescope.

You really can enjoy a telescope around here AFTER the first frost...otherwise you are just feeding the mosquitos.

13. Dec 5, 2021 at 12:23 PM
    TreeFortRichard

TreeFortRichard Barcelona Red is the best red...

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    42.3115167,-71.6638516
    Vehicle:
    '23 SR5 DCSB 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Your living room?
    [​IMG]

PS...been here...it's amazing.

14. Dec 5, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    ABA180

ABA180 It burns when I pee....

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    East Bridgewater MA
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab Slider
    Pioneer CD, Megaloud/JBL amps, Rockford/Polk speakers.
    I'm sure most know my feelings on the weather etc. We're in a holding pattern b/c my folks are older and refuse to leave, but are starting to need a little more help.

Agreed re salaries, but in my case I could sell my house here (those of you who have seen it such as @Pugga can attest it's no mansion etc), buy a similar or slightly bigger one in the Carolinas, pay cash and have a good chunk left. More importantly, Cupcake could retire early (which I would love to give her that gift, she's worth it).

15. Dec 5, 2021 at 1:12 PM
    Chasespeed

Member:
    In the woods...
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OffRoad
    Some stuff
    Corpus isn't Austin. AB center is AHL rink, so..

Does it compare to pond? Hell no...
    But, controlled ice temp, air temp and humidity... I'm in.
    I DO still have my skates...but, don't use them.

I jeed the ocean/beach, otherwise southwest desert would be on the list... I also need significant humidity....

Was in Corpus last time yall were in Austin...

If that happens again, lemme know, come on down, better to see a place from a locals perspective, than otherwise.

16. Dec 5, 2021 at 1:12 PM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR
    I used similar when I was planning wedding stuff. I had an app I could hold up and it would tell me where the sun was going to be in the sky at the time and location and angle.

....it rained and we were inside but whatever.

17. Dec 5, 2021 at 2:01 PM
    nickonfire700

nickonfire700 Reg. Cab Nation Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Rhode Island
    Vehicle:
    05 Reg Cab SR5 4x4
    Satoshi grill, 3rd Gen TRDOR Bucket Seats, TRD front skid plate, TRD Beadlock Wheels, TRD Exhaust, OEM bed mat, LCE Header, LCE Balance Shaft Delete, ECGS front diff bushing, TRD Sport LSD rear diff, Diode Dynamics SS3 Sport fog lights, Stainless Steel Brake-lines, No A/C with Defrost mod, 2014 OEM Radio, Illuminating 4x4 switch, Various LEDs, UWS Toolbox, Proven Design Products Mudflaps, Bilstein 8112 front Coilovers w/ rear Bilstein 5125's/IronMan lift leaf springs, Archive Garage Hammer Hangers, JBAs HD UCAs, SOS Bolt-On rock sliders, TRD bedside decals, ImMrYo Mirror Bracket, Relocated rear diff breather, 2019 Steering wheel, color matched door handles
    Love Vice Grip Garage! His videos are a hoot to watch!

Anyway, I agree with you Rob, I couldn't live in a state that doesn't get any snow!

18. Dec 5, 2021 at 2:56 PM
    Chasespeed

Member:
    In the woods...
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OffRoad
    Some stuff

To be clear, while I have NO use for snow, it adds something to barren and dead landscape this time of year... so, I have nothing against it, other than, way too many idiots in this part of the country have no idea how to DEAL with it.

19. Dec 5, 2021 at 3:31 PM
    js312

js312 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    New England
    Vehicle:
    23 F150 PowerBoost Lariat 502a
    Husky Weatherbeaters, OEM Mud Guards, Wheel Well Liners, Bullet Spray-In Bed Liner, Gator Soft Tri-Fold Cover, Hankook DynaPro AT2 (Summer), Blizzak DM-V2 (Winter)
    Just go a couple hours west for lower cost of living. My house is probably worth 1/3 of a comparable house on the eastern end of the state. I would make more there - we have a state email group where salary data is often shared and my position seems to be 50-60% higher on the eastern end of the state, even for small districts. Not sure if that's enough to justify the added costs.

I am totally with you on changes in weather.

20. Dec 5, 2021 at 3:56 PM
    GarlicFarts

GarlicFarts Bang Ding Ow

Member:
    Lil Rhody
    Vehicle:
    2020 White DCSB TRD OR

I am in East Providence. When we bought we were looking in the 200-225 range in late 2017. If we went 4 seconds to the east we'd be in Seekonk. The same house in Seekonk would have been 400 ish. We looked at one in Rehoboth but it was the same idea, the property values in mass are insane. Don't know what or why but yeah we avoided that. We landed in East Providence. It's worked out well enough so far.

TreeFortRichard and Pibbles99 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top