1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New florescent light bulbs

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TacoDawgfan, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Feb 7, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    The CFLs that aren't cycled 50 times a day will last a bit longer but the kitchen has 6 of them which = 42.00 a set and these last no longer than a year if that long. We're talkin about 105.00 at 15.00 a piece for LEDs but I don't think they even have those for the can fixtures with the square 4 pronged plug so me using LED in that part of the house may even require 7 different fixtures too.

2. Feb 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    the compact ones? we do on some stuff. but like we have some of those recessed lights in the ceiling and they suck in their they take a long time to worm up and get bright. now the ones in my lamp beside my bed and in the main light/fan in my room they are nice. they don’t take time to get hot. they are bright right away.:D also the ones in my bathroom over the sink are nice no worm up time they are as bright as they get right a way. idk why some of are bulbs are really dull when you first flick the switch and some are not.

3. Feb 7, 2012 at 9:12 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    I kinda like the ones that need warmup time in the bathroom, eases the shock of turning on lights in the middle of the night, lol.

4. Feb 7, 2012 at 9:24 AM
    TnRedNeck721

TnRedNeck721 Nick Namer

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    TN
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD off road 4WD
    No mud flaps, plasti dipped emblems, and rear bumper, Weather tech digital fit, Bed mat from tractor supply. Pioneer 4400BH head unit. B.A.M.F bed rail tie downs. AVS vent visors.
    yeah. lol

5. Feb 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM
    Aw9d

Aw9d That one guy

Member:
    I converted my entire house to CFL's and LED's. LED's are way more expensive.. CFL's are dirt cheap and do last a long time.

I got all my CFL's on sale at lowes, 10$ for 6-CFL bulbs. I replaced ever bulb in the entire house to CFL or LED about 3 years ago and have had only 1 CFL bulb go bad. No LED's have gone bad yet.

We noticed about a 5-10$ decrease in our electric bill since we have replaced these bulbs. Seems to be a lot better in the summer as well. Maybe because they aren't generating heat, I'm not really sure. My wife has a habit of leaving lights on a lot. The manufacture of the home went over kill with lights for some reason. My kitchen's main light switch turns on 12 bulbs alone. There is another set on a switch that turns on another 8 bulbs. So for me, CFL's was really worth it.

6. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:21 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    Yeah, the screw in CFLs are much cheaper than the ones with square 4 pronged plugs that go into the recessed can fixtures. Those are usually about 6.50 each. I have 7 of those in the kitchen/breakfast area, 2 in a hallway and 4 in the living room. The kitchen 5 get used so often that they don't last a year. 10 ft ceilings & short life/expensive bulbs = caca. :(

7. Feb 7, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    Juggernaut

Juggernaut Captain

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    18 PreRunner TRD OffRoad DCSB
    Same haha! At first I found it annoying, until I walked in when it was pitch dark and thought it was a rather nice feature.

I got my bulbs at costco when our local utility company had a rebate, the bulbs were about 25 cents each after instant rebate, made it a no brainer.

8. Feb 7, 2012 at 2:20 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat

We put a night light in the bathroom, luckily one of the outlets is right over the toilet. It gives enough light that we don't have to turn on any lights to go in the middle of the night. And not too bright either to light the bedroom. But it is kinda hidden behind the divider wall for the toilet also. This saves me from stepping on the dog, cat, or stubbing my toes on the bed since I don't have to let my eyes readjust to the darkness.

9. Feb 7, 2012 at 6:04 PM
    2004TacomaSR5

2004TacomaSR5 Nemesis Prime

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma DCSB & 1980 Toyota Pickup 4WD
    Tacoma is stock and staying that way, Pickup is TBA as of now.
    The one in the lamp by my bed back home has been in there for about four and a half years, it has survived the smoke damage from part of our house catching fire in 08, and when I am home, is on for about an average of five hours a day! I like the little things, every fixture in our house has them and dad has noticed a significant decrese in power bill amounts as well.

10. Feb 13, 2012 at 6:00 PM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan [OP] Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I am starting to notice these doing this. :rolleyes: I don't like it since they are in the kitchen and the main, most used lights in my house.

Products Discussed in

To Top