1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New front end options?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by raksasas, Mar 20, 2018.

1. Mar 20, 2018 at 6:03 PM
    raksasas

raksasas [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Centeral Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Magnaflow exhaust, Grillcraft Mesh grills, All-Pro Off-road Rear Bumper, Mapam Wheels, 3in Lift.
    My general question is what are the options for a new front end? I am expecting to spend $1000-$1500 on parts but if I can get them/it on a friendly budget that would be awesome. I have been going through several post now looking of options but I figured it would be best to just ask it instead.

I would like to be able:
    • to service the balljoints
      • Grease
      • replace without haveing to buy upper/lower arms
    • Remove the spacer
      • Achieve the same lift in a better solution
        • I don't really have a problem with the spacer. Mainly thinking there has to be a better solution.
    • Quality parts
      • would like them to last another 100k miles if posible.
      Holds allignment, well.
    The details:
    2008 V6 TRD w/ 128000 miles on it. Based on the documents I got from the prevous owner he put on a 3" lift kit on it from Wheelers Offroad. I manaaged to get some info on the left from Wheels based off the order number. They said it is a "REV 426F 3" Front Suspension Lift Kit, 05-Current Tacoma and the WHE ACH21 rear Add A Leaf Kit, 2005 Tacoma". I can tell you that the Add-a-leaf is not installed at the moment because Toyota would not reinstall it when I got the Leaf's replaced. I did get the add-a-leaf's back in my hands before I left the dealership. So it is sitting a little low in the back but that is for a diffrent thread when I ask how do I reinstall them. To get back on topic the dealership told me that the balljoints are bad, both upper and lower. I can see the uppers are bad because it looks like the rubber sock is torn up. I presume from when the prevous owner installed the spacers on the front end.

Thanks

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  2. Mar 23, 2018 at 7:43 PM
    raksasas

raksasas [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Centeral Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    Magnaflow exhaust, Grillcraft Mesh grills, All-Pro Off-road Rear Bumper, Mapam Wheels, 3in Lift.
    Bump..

I have look over what Headstrong but I do not see anything which includes lower control arms.

3. Mar 23, 2018 at 7:50 PM
    sjwhitaker

sjwhitaker Today Was A Good Day.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Berea, KY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB TRD Offroad 6MT - Icon Stage 2 - 285/75/16 Falken AT3W
    Uppers, your probably better off going with JBA Uppers as they are a beefier more common GM ball joint which would make things nice maintenance wise. The lowers are a pain in the ass no matter what you go with. Best bet would be OEM replacements, aftermarket replacements and lastly attempting to remove the old ball joints and bushings and replace with OEM or a aftermarket set of your choice. Are you looking at doing steering components as well? If so just go OEM. I've yet to see an aftermarket set last as long as OEM.

4. Mar 23, 2018 at 7:55 PM
    raksasas

raksasas [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Centeral Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma
    I am going to say I wasn't planning on it. I mainly want to focus on uppers/lowers and get that spacer/block out of it.

Products Discussed in

To Top