1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Group Buy on advmonster stuff

Discussion in 'Group Buys' started by Edzzed, Jul 6, 2012.

?

with regards to ADV Monster lights

Poll closed Aug 20, 2012.
  1. are you in for 1 light

3.8%
  2. are you in for 2 lights

69.2%
  3. are you in for 3 lights

7.7%
  4. are you in for 4 lights

19.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 20, 2012 at 2:32 PM
    canoeski

canoeski Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Southcentral Wisc
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma AccessCab
    Debadged. ARE Topper. Tailgate mods, including locking handle. BAMF LCA skids.
    I was thinking of using a relay too.
    I want to somehow take the power for the relay from the high beam switch, so that I can dim the high beams and OR lights at the same time. A separate switch would limit when the OR light come on. How do I do this?:confused:

Also I purchased the red LED indicator light that it would run in series with the switch. But the leads on those are sooo thin it's hard to imagine them carrying any significant amperage.:confused:

2. Jul 20, 2012 at 2:36 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    Thats easy to do. Take a relay and install it. For the switch side of the relay the trigger side I used a 3 position switch to trigger the relay. center position lights are off. Down position lights are on regardless of truck or headlights being on. Up lights come on when i flip my brights on. All you have to do it run a wire from your highbeam side of your headlights. You can use a t tap or crimp or solder. Then the relay can be triggered through the switch by 2 different sources

3. Jul 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM
    canoeski

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Southcentral Wisc
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma AccessCab
    I like that idea!
    (most of the time the OR lights are used I would also have the high beams on, so I went that way to dim them all once so I don't blind someone coming over the hill)
    Where would you tap the high beam side? near one of the lights, or closer to the fuse box?

On my old truck (RIP:(), I had PIAA dual OR white beams and ion crystal projector fogs. I put a three position switch like you mentioned with up for white, down for fog, middle for OFF. I mounted it on the dash right side.
    What I found when using it on rural roads late at night (for deer detection) was when someone came over the hill and I dimmed the high beams with the stalk control with the left hand, and the OR lights/fog with right hand I would invariably blind them anyway if the switch went to the wrong position:eek: (klutz factor). This also meant taking both hands off the wheel: not good with oncoming traffic. The fix was to install a Ford high beam floor switch to cut out the power to the PIAA lights. I could easily coordinate my left FOOT with my left HAND.;)

I thought about removing the foot switch when I sold it, but thought I deserved a shiney new one after 19 years. Now I can't find one!:mad:

4. Jul 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Lifted, Locked, Armored. Ready To Wheel.
    Correct. AS LONG AS THE SWITCH YOU ARE USING CAN HANDLE MORE AMPS THAN THE LIGHTS DRAW. 2 OF THESE LIGHTS DRAW LESS THAN 5 AMPS, SO A SWITCH THAT HANDLES ATLEAST 5 AMPS WILL BE OK WITH NO RELAY.

^THIS.

This V

and leds draw such little amperage that the leads for that indicator are probably big enough to run 5 leds

yep, a double pole double throw switch. you can get an illuminated one from otrattw.com and have the rocker say whatever you want. it will fit in one of the dash blanks. and actually, you wouldn't need the little red indicator if you used an illuminated switch that lights up when the switch is on.

for example:

[​IMG]

5. Jul 20, 2012 at 3:48 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    I'd start by un plugging the headlight plug and using a volt meter to see which wire is hot with low beams and which is hot with high beams, then take note of which color wire it is. then I'd check the fuses for headlights and see if I can find that color wire again. It would be less invasive on your oem wiring to tap into that wire at the headlight plug, but if you have a separate high beam fuse, a fuse tap would allow you to tap into it without cutting any wires.

as far as a floor mounted switch.. you may want to look at pressure switches. I have never used one but i know someone that installs them in all of his vehicles under the carpet as a theft deterrent. in order to start the car you have to press on the correct spot with your foot. (don't know anything else about it other than thats what he told me).

6. Jul 20, 2012 at 4:16 PM
    canoeski

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Southcentral Wisc
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma AccessCab
    Thanks Josh!

7. Jul 21, 2012 at 7:34 AM
    fullstream

fullstream Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Covington, Tn (between 2 corn fields)
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd offroad
    Tinted windows, tonneau, 3" procomp lift, vent visor's, bull bar, step bars, interior & exterior led's,anytime fog light mod, 35 w hid's 6000k fog, 3 Adv 60's w/ dimmer, color matched grill w/ satoshi, tinted taillights & fog lights, BHLM with mini h1's 35w 5000k, 2 hella 700's w/55 watt HID's, BAMF lightbar
    a693780f-be0a-5501_5a0df65935687b06fd74afec6ee27013cce23d96.jpg

8. Jul 21, 2012 at 7:41 AM
    Zlagger

Zlagger Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBCab TRD Long Bed
    AllPro LT front -w- Fox 2.5 COs, rear AllPro 3" springs -w- King 2.0 shocks
    Lights look good.
    The higher you mount them the better.

What's with the laptop on the engine?

9. Jul 21, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    fullstream

fullstream Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Covington, Tn (between 2 corn fields)
    Vehicle:
    2010 trd offroad
    Tinted windows, tonneau, 3" procomp lift, vent visor's, bull bar, step bars, interior & exterior led's,anytime fog light mod, 35 w hid's 6000k fog, 3 Adv 60's w/ dimmer, color matched grill w/ satoshi, tinted taillights & fog lights, BHLM with mini h1's 35w 5000k, 2 hella 700's w/55 watt HID's, BAMF lightbar
    LOL, I was lookin at the wiring diagram for the remote dimmer while wiring so I didn't F it up. :D:D

10. Jul 21, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    He bought a programmer for the lights . . . . :cool:

And is it just me or is his bull bar straight and his whole truck crooked:confused:

11. Jul 21, 2012 at 10:50 AM
    knine00

knine00 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hudsonville, Mi
    Vehicle:
    12 PreRunner DC TRD Sport
    Stock for now
    I am trying to order a set but still haven't heard from advmonster with the discount code.

12. Jul 21, 2012 at 5:40 PM
    AkALumbaJak

AkALumbaJak Active Member

Member:
    well looks like i dont have the funds to purchase this but i do have a code! i know we arent supposed to share the code but since i wont be using it i should let someone get a deal on these lights!

anyone want my code? it expires today btw lol yea i know i waited until the last minute

send me a PM since i dont want to post it on here and get in trouble with the vendor or anything

13. Jul 21, 2012 at 9:01 PM
    Edzzed

Edzzed [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Cloverdale, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 GMC dually
    ;ots
    Well I mounted the lights on the bike. I showed them to my wife. She made the mistake of looking at them from 5 feet away. Says she sees yellow dots now. Told her it'll go away, I did it with a flashlight last week. I think I may need a dimmer since she asked if they were legal to use being so bright. Told her they are wired in with the high beam and shut off with low beam. Might just see about wiring it up the same way it is and use a horn button to trigger them on when someone turns in front of me on my M/C. Seen that happen a few times too many. As you can see the headlight on high seems dim compared to the LED lights. It is a HID light too, with ballast and all. Normally your regular HID light only works on low beam but the one I bought is low + high as it has an electro-magnet that moves the bulb back and forth. These lights sure light up the yard, Haven't ridden in the dark yet. Like the riding gloves, Not too many people have a set with the 2010 Olympic logo. Was part of my volunteer uniform. as for mounting the lights, they are attached through the fairing and bolted on the steel frame for the fairing.

P7226915.jpg
    P7226916.jpg
    P7226917.jpg
    P7226918.jpg
    P7226919.jpg

14. Jul 23, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    AkALumbaJak

AkALumbaJak Active Member

Member:
    has anyone installed these on their roof? all the pictures ive ever really seen of these have them mounted in their bumper or in a similar location. Just curious as to the beam pattern and everything if mounted even higher up

15. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:22 PM
    Edzzed

Edzzed [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Cloverdale, BC Canada
    Vehicle:
    98 GMC dually
    ;ots
  16. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:33 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    should work if you use a relay. for signal in, use a wire tapped into the hi beam circuit.

17. Jul 24, 2012 at 8:36 PM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    so I even emailed advmonster on friday asking if they could still honor the group buy, and I haven't heard back from them.

Edit: just got a pm from them saying they will be extending the gb

18. Jul 25, 2012 at 4:59 AM
    ADVmonster

ADVmonster Purveyor of Light

Member:
    Florida
    We do have a dimmer with strobe pattern here. Not sure how long your automotive dimmer will last. All of our dimmers and remotes are waterproof and setup for MC use.

I'm a one man show! Just had some much needed time off, thanks for your understanding.

Due to some unforseen backorders, we will be extending the group buy. I'll post up here when we have lights in stock (later this week).

If you do not have the GB code, please email your user name and email to sandjoh@gmail.com

Thanks for the business. If you have any technical questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

19. Jul 25, 2012 at 5:06 AM
    JLink

JLink Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Ocean, NJ
    Good man! Sorry for being a bit hasty. Email on the way

:thumbsup:

20. Jul 25, 2012 at 5:15 AM
    XPOTRON

XPOTRON Is LIVE on the GRID.

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefen
    Chandler, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    IG: @ST3F3NS
    DUROBUMPS Use TRON10 for 10% Off & Free Shipping