1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New guy configuration questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by easternhunter, May 1, 2012.

1. May 1, 2012 at 9:09 PM
    easternhunter

easternhunter [OP] New Member

Member:
    Guys,

Am new at this ... but seriously considering a Tacoma w an access cab, SR5 package, engine skid plate, and a few small things.
    questions:

1) Only tow duty I will have is a small trailer w an ATV loaded. Does a manual 4 banger have enough grunt for within state towing?

2) When I do the USAA configuration for a V6 to compare with a 4 I do not see a way to include a radio. Does the V6 automatically come with one?

3) Lot of comment on threads abt the desirability of 5 lug wheels. How do you make sure you get them in a configuration? 16" alloy wheels do it?

4) What is: VIP RS3200 PLUS SECURITY SYSTEM (V5) (REQ: SL SR5 Pkg, OC TRD off-road pkg, PY TRD sport pkg or CP Convenience Pkg)

Thanks!

Mike

2. May 2, 2012 at 8:22 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    I can only answer question 1 for you.
    The answer is that this should not be a problem, but you do need to take some things into consideration.

Specifically, will you be operating at high altitude? (I.e. over 5000 feet in the mountains) If yes you should calculate the likely power loss due to low oxygen density.

The second consideration is the configuration you select. If you're going with a base model (aka 5-lug), you will have a much higher axle ratio, which will hinder towing greatly. A 4x4 or prerunner has a lower axle ratio, and combined with a manual transmission, is a very impressive workhorse.

Have a look in the 4-cyl section for a thread titled "four bangers TOW without fear....", specifically post 73 and 74. Not that I would advocate going quite that big, but if they can do that, a little ATV won't be any trouble.

3. May 2, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    knucklehead

knucklehead Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Ottawa
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4
    Hitch, nav header
    Wait, on second thought, I can also answer question 3.
    5 lug is the 'base model'.
    The premium models (4x4 and prerunner) are 6 lug.

A 6 lug truck is more desirable, but sacrifices a little fuel economy because it stands taller. They are considerably more expensive. A 'prerunner' is a 4x4 truck without the front drive components installed, hence it is 4x2.

What you may have seen regarding people wanting 5 lug rims may relate to a lack of available aftermarket upgrade components. Some people want to build their 5 lug trucks into prerunners. All 5 lug trucks have 15 inch rims. 6 lug trucks have 16 or 17 inch rims.

To Top