1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

new guy from OKC

Discussion in 'New Members' started by birry, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Oct 6, 2012 at 7:15 AM
    birry

birry [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCSB
    OME 885, Bilstein 5100's, Wheeler's (single) AAL
    Hi all

I'm a current Toyota SR5 4x4 owner, but pre-Tacoma 1986! I love my truck, but I've recently got a job in the "big city" and would like something at least with A/C, haha.

I'm looking for a new(er) Tacoma to replace my beloved '86 regular cab SR5 4x4 (22re).

I mainly came to this site to get some information, opinions, and discussion about which truck to shoot for, and to inform people on how my search goes. I'm also interested in potentially doing some of my own modifications once I find what I'm looking for. Google provided me with this forum. After a very brief look around, it looks like this is the place to be for Tacoma discussion!

Things I'm looking for in a new truck:

Air conditioning - love my truck, but no A/C in Oklahoma is no bueno
    Cruise control
    More power than what my 22re has currently - can someone tell me if the new 4-cyl engines give enough extra hp, or should I only look for V6?
    More room than my regular cab - not necessarily a 4 door, but just more room
    Comparable bed space - the regular bed size is great for me - still not sure if a short bed would do the trick
    More comfortable seats! - man, the seats in my '86 are BAD on my back!

Things I'll need opinions on:

4x4 or not? probably a stupid question in this forum, but I'm still debating. I use 4wd a few times a year, and sometimes I just can't do certain jobs without it. Still, is it worth it? That's the question.

4-cyl or V6? How do the newer 4-cyl engines feel on the highway, offroading, and hauling stuff compared to the solid, but really weak 22re motor I have now?

Extended, Access, or Crew cab? I REALLY like the access cab, but don't like their market value at this moment (really expensive). Can anyone tell me how they like the extra door feature compared to the extended cab from the ('99 and 2003 models)?

Manual or Auto? Probably an age old question, but I drive manual and I've read some reviews that the newer 6-sp manual with the V6 is not that great. Can anyone attest to the 5-sp (4-cyl) vs the 6-sp (V6)?

I'll try to read through as much as I can on my own, but my criteria above is just a starting point for anyone who's interested in giving me some up-front, firsthand wisdom.

thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to learning even more about these great trucks!

2. Oct 6, 2012 at 8:23 AM
    Highland Logan

Highland Logan UBIQUE

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2011 Black AC TRD Off Road w/ factory tow pkg
    Icon Stage 2 w/ overload left in, SPC LR UCA, 265/75 16 BFG KO2, front and rear Weathertech floor liners, OEM (Extang) solid fold tonneau, OEM bed mat, OEM front skid plate, OEM billet oil cap, "TOYOYA" tailgate decal
    Welcome to TW, from Nova Scotia.

Lots of questions...

I have a V6 4x4 auto access cab. I didn't need the room of the double cab, and the V6 seems to run well. There are lost of threads on here giving reviews or asking the sames questions as you. And as you can imagine it all boils down to the posters opinion. Take a look around and see what others have said and combine that with what you need/want, and you'll get the right truck for you. Best of luck.

Frank

3. Oct 6, 2012 at 3:56 PM
    birry

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCSB
    Thanks, Highland! I've read some today, but I'm a little overwhelmed by the amount of good (and not-so-good) advice on here.

I'll probably need to just craigslist, autotrader, and car.com it and find these trucks locally that I can test drive. I told myself that I needed an upgrade from my 22re motor, but maybe the new 2.7 is enough of an upgrade to suffice....?

4. Oct 6, 2012 at 4:11 PM
    08PRELB

08PRELB Don't Tread On Me

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner LB
    Toy Tech Ultimate Lift kit,Buildt Right UCA's 285/70/17 BFG AT, Camburg Spindles, BHLM, K&N, Flow Master 50, Spider Trax, URD MAF CAL, Satoshi Grill, any time fog mod, 20% tint, Katzkins Leather Interior, FX-R Projector Retro
    Welcome to TW Billy I'm also in OKC. I'm not sure really what to tell you what to look for in a truck but I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what will meet your needs. Let me know when your ready to start modding your new truck!

5. Oct 6, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    birry

Member:
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Vehicle:
    2008 4x4 DCSB
    Sweet! Always nice to meet people from my area. Maybe someday I'll have a truck half as cool as the one you have, haha!

Products Discussed in

To Top