1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Guy having trouble finding a Tacoma

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cmburn01, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:27 AM
    cmburn01

cmburn01 [OP] Member

Member:
    SW MO
    Debadged, removed pinstripe, window tint, borla muffler.
    Hey everybody, ive been lurking for a while and searching for Tacoma's in my area for quite some time. after having trouble finding any used Taco's I went to the stealership and feel like I was really getting jerked around. The dealership told me they had what I was looking for, but when i showed up they told me they would have to order it. The sticker price for a new Dbl cab TRD sport 4x4 was $32,800. When I attempted to negotiate the only thing they would do was to extend the payment term NEVER budged on price!! at one point the price went up $200!!! and the interest went from 2.9% to 3.8%.

So now that I explained my situation; what kind of new deals has everyone gotten or used? any opinions, experiences, or tips is greatly appreciated!!!

2. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:36 AM
    Junebug McQuinn

Junebug McQuinn Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wylie, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Off Road Pre-Runner
    If they don't budge tell them you'll try another dealership and walk out. They'll call back.

3. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    Gregero

Gregero TRD: Trail Ready Development

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Carson City, NV
    Vehicle:
    Blue '06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Debadged Tailgate, TOYOTA logo on Tailgate, Uniden Radio w/ 4' Ant., Removed Sway-Bar, Rear Icon Extended Travel Shocks, 8" King Offroad Shocks, Debadged Doors, 1.25" Rear AllPro Wheel Spacers, 315/70R17 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, AllPro Skid Plate, New Car Smell Air Freshener, OMD Ford&Chevy Leaf Pack with Original Main leaf, Engage LT UCAs and LCAs, Engage HD Tie Rod Ends, Kar-Tek Limit Straps, Camber Eliminator Kit, Removed Rear Flares, Blue LED Dome and Map lights, LED License plate lights, Black TRD Sport Rims, 20W PA Speaker, 2 Meter Radio, Demello-like Bed Bar, Harbor Freight Dust Lights, Blacked-out Hood Scoop, Custom Pre-Runner Bumper, JBA Long Tube Headers, MBRP Catback Exhaust, AFE Stage2 CAI, URD MAF Sensor Calibrator
    x2. And why not do that- call another dealership and tell them the shitty service you were experiencing elsewhere and get some quotes. Go in and see them. Then you can go back to your local dealer and tell them you've got another dealer to lower the price to this much. See if they'll match or beat it. I was able to drop my Tacos price down by $4,000 tho it was used, but there's no reason why you should buy it at sticker price. Work with other dealers and use them as leverage against another. In the end, they all just want your money.

4. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:43 AM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    x3. There are always more dealers. Don't settle for shitty/shady/unprofessional business practices. Or for that matter, rudeness.

5. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    Because they were kind of pricey I took one that was a new last years model. Got a 2010 in May.

Don't forget that the supplies of new Tacomas are limited due to the earthquake so they may not be able to budge much on price. They are even offering high amounts on buying back used ones in order to fill stock.

6. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:44 AM
    MxRacer190

MxRacer190 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    06 SR5 4x4 Indigo
    If they don't budge, you don't budge. They have quotas to make. You don't. When my dad bought this Tacoma in 06, the salesman drove to meet him in the Nissan parking lot IN THE TACOMA! LOOL. Gotta play hardball. USE THE POWER OF THE JEW!

7. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:46 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    I shopped around quite a bit and every dealer I went to seemed to give me about the same deal, about 3k off a new 4x4 DC weather a Sport or Off road. Just didn't have many 4x4's in my area. I did get 4k off mine due to my wife's recent college degree, 1k off for the college grad program, which comes from Toyota, not the dealer. Good luck!

8. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:47 AM
    TacoDawgfan

TacoDawgfan Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2011 Silver 4x4 TRD Sport w/JBL
    5100's at 1.75, Rear leaf TSB, Moto Metal 951 16x8, BFG TKO2 265/75/16, AFe Stage 2 CAI w/pro dry filter, Kenwood DDX374BT installed with Idatalink Maestro kit, Access Loredo tonneau cover, N-Fab steps, Tinted windows, EGR in channel vent visors, UGA drink coasters in the front cup holders, and a Graco car seat in the back seat
    Oh, and trying the end of the month can help too. ;)

9. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:48 AM
    PSJ

PSJ Prerunners Work

Member:
    Sebastian Inlet
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab Prerunner
    Rear Leaf spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's all around w/ front set at 1.75", 265/75R/16 Mickey Thompson Baja STZ's, Trailer hitch w/custom wiring, AFE drop in dry filter, Rear Diff breather mod, Debadged truck, customized stock TRD wheel center caps, added factory fog lights, bed mat, door sills, tinted windows
    Cost +, you decide!... remember its a buyer's market despite the attitude of the sales people. Find your truck, note package and all options, then research online the invoice value and go from there. shoot for a couple of hundred over invoice. :cool:

10. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    06TacomaTRD

06TacomaTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2011 MGM TRD OR PreRunner
    See Link --->
    Ditto. Or they will offer you a better deal on the spot. Just. Don't. Compromise.

11. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Dude, you can finda way better deal. You should be able to get a deal below 30K including tax, title, and license on a new vehicle. Find a differant dealer ship and be straight up with them and even an asshole if you have to. Dont feel guilty, its a big purchase. If you say no once and they keep pushing something, be a dick and say fuck this and get up to walk out.

Like someone said, its a buyers market right now. Figure out how much your willing to pay and do your research on what the trucks cost prior to dealer mark up. Ignore MSRP, that is BS you should easily be able to get it below MSRP.

12. Jul 24, 2011 at 8:57 AM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    http://www.truecar.com/

Cant stress that enough. Find the truck you want, go to that website and create the same truck with all the packages/options/etc and see what you should be paying. That site will give you the invoice price as well as the price the actual dealer payed toyota for the truck. It's a great tool!! I plan to use the high competition (4 or 5 Toyota dealers within 20 miles of me) to drive purchase price down to invoice or below when I buy in the next few months.

MxRacer190 had the right idea. If they dont budge on price, you walk out the door. despite what the salesmen say, (they always try to tell you their trucks are the last ones available in the state for months to come :rolleyes:) it is a new car buyer's market right now. In this economy they are struggling to meet quotas and they will usually do what it takes to put you in a truck.

13. Jul 24, 2011 at 9:01 AM
    Fightnfire

Fightnfire Recklessly tired

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4 (Prev 09 Access Cab V6 4X4)
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Internet/Email for buying a car is the best and only way I use. Tell them you are going to buy based off whoever submits the best deal. This works much better if you have your financing lined up before you go to the dealership. Unless you know for sure you can qualify for Toyota's best APR... I've always gotten the best deal using this method.

Detail what you want in an email, include your build from toyota.com so they're can be no mistakes. Send that email to the 3 or 4 or 5 dealers you are willing to travel to.
    *Be sure to put them all in the "TO" field, you want them to know their bidding against other dealerships

When it comes back, take the two lowest and re-submit them. Just like a contract. Tell them they are the final two selections and get them to under price each other.
    Print the final choice out and head to get your truck.

Put some language in the email that suggests they actually have the vehicle you want in stock to submit a bid, etc.

14. Jul 24, 2011 at 9:12 AM
    colder

colder Well-Known Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab TRD Sport
    Don't walk onto a car lot and expect a good experience. You need to go through the internet department. You'll get a decent quote from there, because they know you're checking with other dealerships.

That being said, if any care salesman knows you're locked in on something very specific (must be double cab, must be TRD sport, must be black, etc.) they won't move on price. You need to be aloof and act like you are settling for considering whatever they have on the lot, and that you can wait a few months if need be, and that another dealer has something close to what you want.

You can look up invoice prices on the internet for any make and model. This is not truly the end price for the dealer, because there is holdback and other incentives that the dealer retains. I think if you are near the invoice price on a Toyota that's about as good as you are going to do.

There isn't much inventory around here. End of the model year, parts issues, earthquake.

I got the run-around from one dealer in town, then I went to another and worked through an internet salesperson and it was smooth as silk.

If you want to do business the new way, come in the new way. If you want to battle an old school salesman, walk onto the lot and get approached by one.

Good luck :cool:

15. Jul 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    cmburn01

cmburn01 [OP] Member

Member:
    SW MO
    Thanks for all the speedy replies! there is only 1 other tacoma at a different dealership which I plan on being at monday when they open. The truck is a 2010 black dbl cab TRd offroad 4x4 with 30K miles for $28,500, but I plan on trying to talk way down due to a small quarter sized gouge/dent in the rear passenger door.
    As far as other dealers the closest is 70 miles which I will drive if its a good deal.
    I really was not comfortable about how I was being talked around. They even asked me to give $500 before i left to show them I might want the truck that they supposedly could have shipped in a week or so. This was my first time financing a truck and definetly did not like the tactics used.

16. Jul 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Starting over with a new GMC AT4 Satin Steel Metallic Softopper, Bilstein 5100's @ 1.75 in the front, TSB Rear, 17x8.5 Lvl 8 Guardians, 265/70-17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W, Scooped, Anytime fog mod, Osram Nightbreakers, LED Interior lights, Debadged, Painted valance, Removed rear head rests, De-flapped, Hidden Hitch installed, Weather Techs, Flyzeye'd A/W/A, Cover Kings.
    Also, just to say it. Used tacomas are pretty rare in our area. (Seattle) They're out there but they're way overpriced. When I bought my 09 I looked all over for a TRD OR or Sport.

I wanted under 25k miles
    09-11
    White, Red, Gray
    V6, Auto, 4X

Every one I found within 100 miles of Seattle was 28,000-34,000. The sticker for these new at most of the dealerships was 29,900-33,000. I just about bought new but found my truck at a Mercedes/Toyota lot in Bellingham, 110 miles north of Seattle. They had just reduced it from 27,500 to 23,500 as it had been on their lot for 60 days. If I believe the sales manager, they don't allow any used car to sit on their lot for more than 60 days. They'll slash the price to what they paid and sell it wholesale. Seems like that was what they did as this truck never popped in my search until Friday mid-day when they cut the price. I put the max price for used at 25,000. Anything over that, I would just buy new. I bought it Fri night.

17. Jul 24, 2011 at 9:29 AM
    cmburn01

cmburn01 [OP] Member

Member:
    SW MO
    That is my situation with this and I would prefer to get the used one for around 25,000.

18. Jul 24, 2011 at 9:36 AM
    zul

zul Professional Goofball

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite Mica DCSB SR5 4WD V6 AT
    HAVE: Bed mat, Tailgate Lock, Color-matched Grille, Weathertech Floor Liners, Avid Step Rails, RokBlokz mud flaps WANT: Rear Plate Bumper, Steel bed cage
    You could have bought brand new for that price. If I was asked to put money down on a truck I wasnt sure I wanted yet and they knew that, I would laugh at their face and walk away. Remember: YOu are the one with the money, therefore you have the power. It is up to you if you want to buy it or not. DOnt let anyone bully you in this market. YOU HAVE THE POWER!! :D

Fightnfire: Thanks for the info. That is helpful! I will definitely use that tactic when I buy. I didnt even think about it.. I always thought you had to buy in person. Thanks for sharing your experience!!

19. Jul 24, 2011 at 9:37 AM
    babytruck

babytruck Babytruck, babytruck...I've got a babytruck :)

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 Barcelona AC 4x4 4.0 6spd
    I swear if you guys look around and be patient you will find one. In May of this year I got a brand new 2010 AC 6MT 4.0 4x4 tow package, air, cruise, pw, pl, non stripped version, non SR5 for 23,400. It was priced at 29k

20. Jul 24, 2011 at 9:51 AM
    Fightnfire

Member:
    Marysville, WA
    Vehicle:
    Well you still sign in person, just make sure not to agree to any of their added crap. Don't forget to print and bring your email, treat it as a contract.

Products Discussed in

To Top