1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Guy Looking for Help and Tips please.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Chemicalboy, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Sep 15, 2013 at 7:30 PM
    Chemicalboy

Chemicalboy [OP] New Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma offroad
    Hey, first off my name is Chris. I have owned a second gen double cab tacoma for a while. But I recently bought a first gen 1998 long travel tacoma.

Please be serious in this thread, and no trashing it. I just would like to learn more and be able to take better care of my truck.

I'm mainly looking for some tips on maintaining it and how often I should be doing maintenance on it(along with what I should be doing to keep it in check and in best running condition, and if you are going to say something along the lines of "keep this oiled" or "replace this every month" or stuff like that then what oils do you recommend and what parts should I replace....basically I'm trying to say please be specific as what to do. That would be awesome)

I'm also looking for tips on what you guys think I should upgrade on it or add to it(could be anything, as far as better brakes, adding bike mounts, LED bar, engine upgrades, audio, decals, tires, anything)

I would just like to make sure I do everything I can to keep the truck running good and so that it doesn't start falling apart on me, because i know offroading does take its toll on trucks.

Some specs:
    3.4L v6 rear wheel drive.
    Fully caged, has a Total Chaos long travel kit with 8" stroke 2.5" sway-a-way coil overs eibach springs and fox bumpstops. Rear is total chaos hangers 12" shackles, deaver f67 springs, 18" triple bypass shocks.
    30 gallon fuel safe. And all terrains in the front with mud terrains in the back.
    Also has cold air intake and a throttle body spacer.

Also if there is anyone down in southern Cali that would like to show/teach someone a few things whether its about truck mechanics and vehicle upkeep, or tips on offroading and would maybe want a few other guys to offroad with them. Let me know. I would always love to learn more, and more people to offroad with is always great.

Thanks, hope to hear some good stuff from you guys.

image.jpg

2. Sep 15, 2013 at 7:42 PM
    tacomataco2

tacomataco2 A dude

Member:
    Mass
    Vehicle:
    15’ ACLB
    Some of this Some of that
  3. Sep 15, 2013 at 7:49 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
  4. Sep 16, 2013 at 12:39 PM
    DixonCreekDrifter

DixonCreekDrifter Grey Headed Shop Teacher

Member:
    First Name:
    Dixon
    east of the Rio Grande and south of the Canadian
    Vehicle:
    Last Truck
    Stock for now
    I am fairly new to TacomaWorld also and the best advice I was given was to use the search feature in the top blue line to research what other builds had been made, recorded and reviewed. There are really sharp trucks for every purpose on this forum and your greatest challenge is to find others with similar interests and experience.

The next best advice was to read posts that cover a lot of abbreviations that are used on this site. So search abbreviations and learn the language and find the things that interest you.

Again welcome
    Dixon

5. Sep 16, 2013 at 1:30 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

Hi Chris & welcome to TW, I'm in Socal (Lakeside to be more accurate) Dont know where you are but if your close to San Diego we have a great group of guys with a wealth of knowledge & almost always ready & able to help with advice/installs/tips/etc:...

I noticed you are mentioning the "Don't flame me for asking." issue, have you had a bad experience on other sites ? ( Please don't mention them by name, we dont , but we know already) Usually the only time you'll get flamed here is by asking the obvious or the ridicules... Check the LT thread here most the guys are knowledgeable & will help you out, theres a couple premadonnas but still much more adult & friendlier than most sites

6. Sep 16, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Welcome.

Biggest tip is read :) go to the build section and looks to see what stuff you'd maybe like. That'll give you an idea on lift ideas or any other suspension setups as well as other stuff.

Products Discussed in

To Top