1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New guy, need your input before I buy...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ERdept, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Oct 26, 2007 at 4:02 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    ??? :confused:

How would it be a benefit if you are never going to use it? To me this would seem like a waste of money. Far from a benefit.

This assumes you are never going to use it like stated in your post.

But if you do need one, I got a hidden hitch online (I like them better because they are streamlined and hidden) for $100 and installed wiring for $30 Done!

How much is that "upgrade" from the dealer?

2. Oct 26, 2007 at 4:22 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device

That's what I do. It is really helpful when towing a heavy load, stopping on a hill, and the guy behind you decides to get close enough to lick your trailer. :p

Although - I could have scared the JUNK out of him by rolling back a few inches. :D

3. Oct 26, 2007 at 5:51 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    To answer your last question first, I don't recall without walking out to the truck in the rain and looking at the window sticker in the glove box, but I think it was around 600 bucks, but also came on every TRD model that I looked at, so it kind of doesn't matter as if you get TRD you get towing package (unless you completely special order your truck)

I believe what he meant by benefit was in regards to the oil cooler, trans cooler, (auto only) bigger alternator, and bigger battery. All of which will benefit you for engine and trans life, and extra lights, accessories, and speaker upgrades, even if you never use the reciever for anything.

I did exactly what you did when I had my 04 taco, but I was not towing nearly as much then as I do now. I mean no insult and do not wish to split hairs, but your $130 hitch and wiring is not a "trailer towing package." That $30 wiring did not give you a fully functioning 7 pin plug. I suspect it gave you a 4 flat, or if it did give you a seven pin it is a 4 to 7 adapter, which leaves you without a circuit for trailer brakes, a charging circuit, and trailer back-up lights. Add that to the two oil coolers, alternator, battery, and the fact that the factory receiver is a class 4 not a class 3, and the $130 to $600 gap does not seem nearly as large.

4. Oct 26, 2007 at 7:37 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    My 2.7L SR5 with Tow Package only came with a 4-pin plug. :(

I am deprived on the account of being depraved.

5. Oct 26, 2007 at 7:45 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.

Check you window sticker for me when you get a chance. I suspect that the tow package on your truck was on the dealer installed section instead of the factory section, as the 07 model brochure I just pulled out of my file indicates that the full tow package I was going on about is only available on the V6. I am curious to know if some of the 2.7s were coming from the factory with the "dealer installed" hitch and wiring as well.

6. Oct 26, 2007 at 7:57 AM
    007Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    Cloaking Device
    I think it was a dealer install. :(

I should go look on my window sticker in the glove box, but I just don't want to go out in the 68 degree weather with the beautiful sun and nice breeze right now. :p I will check it later.

7. Oct 26, 2007 at 8:00 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    :laugh: Very nice.

8. Oct 26, 2007 at 8:05 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I will be being pulled out plenty during that meet, but not because of my auto, it will be becaue of my crappy tires, innexperience off-road and my willingness to try anything. I still dont know why you think the manual is better. When you are going slow (which you are forced to do offroad soemtimes) the engine can bog down and you have to keep clutching it to keep it from stalling.

Ok, here's the deal. I am willing to concede a manual is better if you can tell me why. Thats a rare deal Mav, you should take me up on it. im usually never willing to concede defeat but i'll make an exception for you

9. Oct 26, 2007 at 8:19 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Mostly I am just being a "Sh!t disturber", but seriously, with a manual off-road, you can start in say third in 4-lo, get a huge amount of power and torque to the ground with no wheelspin. The best you can pull off in an auto is second and 4-lo, and in low range second still spins the tires when they have no grip. by not letting the clutch fully engage you can also minimize wheelspin while still keeping a portion of your forwarad momentum. And here is the best. when you are really stuck. put it in second, 4-lo, lock the rear, and then kill the ignition. Use the "clutch start cancel" button and use the starter motor to turn everything else slow enough to possible get traction.

This is just my opinion, and it is really only based on tacoma manuals off road and a bunch of other crap autos off-road, so I really do willingly concede that a toyota auto may do perfectly well off-road, and so mostly am just breaking your stones. :p

10. Oct 26, 2007 at 9:06 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    That's true, I do not tow a crazy amount of time or weight. But the 3,000 lbs I do tow this works fine for me. And yes it gave me a 4 flat which is all I ever needed.

I can understand what you get as you stated. But I called about the brake controller hookup and he said it would be $80. Other than that a battery and oil coolers I don't need even here in SC for 3,000lbs.

But he also stated for someone who doesn't plan on towing. That's what I was referring to.

Is it worth it to pay for something you more or less will not use? I suppose this is subjective, the words "do not plan" on using for me would be like saying I will never really need it. For you it may be you most likely will.

And by the way, if you disagree with any of us again I may make a motion to kick your ass out of the alliance. You are in Nj and that means you are on shaky ground with the upper echelon in the alliance already.;)

11. Oct 26, 2007 at 10:36 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I dunno about that, I was the third member of the alliance, after ND and Jhodge, I think that makes me grandfathered or something. You know like a Supreme Court Justice, can only be removed if they choose to step down or if they die. I think I'll be sticking around. :D

12. Oct 26, 2007 at 12:33 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    This is very rare but i will concede that you may have a point. I doubt the differences would matter unless you did alot of off-roading all the time but the manual does have a few benefits over the auto. Iforgot about starting in a higher gear for more torque and less spin. So i officially stand corrected.

13. Oct 26, 2007 at 12:38 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Viper, Maverick makes a good point. He was one of the first members. and even though he is a greasy jersey boy he seems to have enough redneck in him to fit in nicely in our group of drunken hicks. He actually has a surprising amount of redneck in him, i guess that comes from being raised in Virgina. As the founder i have the ability to kick anyone out and exile them to Texas at anytime, thus destroying their lives completely, but i have not yet had to do this. I'd say Mav is in good standing. To phrase it so my fellow hicks can understand, "Adam is dug in like a Georgia tick" (read that with a redneck accent).

14. Oct 26, 2007 at 7:06 PM
    prclements

prclements Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road DC 4x4 SR5 Tow
    Running boards, bed mat
    I can't say that I have any hard data, but I'd have to argue that the supplemental transmission and oil coolers are a smart investment for the long term. Even if you don't tow, adding capacity to basic mechanical systems seems like a smart thing to me.

It's a $650 upgrade, so for me it's worth it. You also get a heavy duty battery, 130A alternator, and class 4 hitch.

15. Oct 27, 2007 at 3:57 AM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    Kinda like the slaves fought for the South sometimes during the Civil war right? I get it now! :D

16. Oct 29, 2007 at 8:56 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I'm not entirely sure i see how that relates to Maverick...

17. Oct 29, 2007 at 8:40 PM
    Viper-2

Viper-2 Secret Agent

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner with many mods
    I'm trying to make sense of this "anyone can get in" thing. I mean, if you don't live in the Carolinas I just don't get it. :cool:

Just trying to find a way it would make some sense is all.

Damn, I'm like that General who always goes against the establishment huh? Like Patton. :rolleyes:

18. Oct 30, 2007 at 7:10 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    I view it like WWII. You had the allied and the axis powers, each comprised of different countries from all over the world. The Carolina Alliances roots are in SC and NC, but we accept members from all over as long as they are our allies in drinking and hating texas. Afterall, texas is big so we need all the help we can get. Plus, who am i to deny anyone the joy of feeling like a Carolinian, whether they are or not?

19. Oct 30, 2007 at 7:39 AM
    sawdust

sawdust Unapologetic Texan

Member:
    Frisco, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad Radiant Red V6 Auto DC
    Homelink mirror, tailgate lock, 2ndary air filter removal, Access LE tonneau, Bugflector II, hitch-based bed extender, vent visors, suspension TSB, stall mat
    So, ND, you're a psych guy. What would Freud have said about all this obsession with a bigger sized state? Does "Carolina sized" even mean anything? I know "Texas sized" does. I guess "Carolina sized" would be the opposite, right? I mean, you do stand in opposition to anything Texan, so "Carolina sized" must mean tiny.

You have my sympathy.

20. Oct 30, 2007 at 7:53 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    No you Texas fool! you obviously dont undersand America. All Americans love an underdog. We were the underdogs in the revolutionary war. Rocky was an underdog. The karate kid was an underdog. And in the end the oversized cocky enemy always gets their ass kicked. Little ole' South and North Carolina are gonna teach big ole' scary texas a lesson. Just like Rocky tought Mr. T a lesson! If you were an American you would understand.

Products Discussed in

To Top