1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New guy with a couple of problems.

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bobwilson1977, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jan 7, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Howdy everybody,
    New guy here. Anyway, I've got a 96' Tacoma 2WD reg cab, 4 cylinder, manual tranny. Basically about as stripped and basic as they come. Its getting up there in age and has around 216,000 miles.

Well, its got a couple of problems that are mildly annoying and getting worse over time. The big problem is with 1st and 2nd gears. When its cold out ( Live in California so it doesn't get that cold) these gears like to pop out of gear until the truck, and I assume transmission is warmed up. I'm guessing that the forks or indents must be worn out for these gears and after the grease warms up, it goes away. Additionally, the original clutch is starting to slip ( not bad for 216,000 miles) So I'm not sure if the cost of repair is worth it considering I can get a re manufactured tranny for around $700.

Lastly, the engine light has been on for years. It happened back when the truck was almost new and I accidentally ran through a giant puddle during a flash flood. Ever since then, the light has stayed on. I've had the codes checked repeatedly and finally gave up because all it came back with was a "backfire". I can usually disconnect the battery and it will stay off for a day or two, or long enough for me to get it smogged. But otherwise, it never-ever goes off. I even replaced all of the oxygen sensors, the TPS sensor, and cleaned the throttle body, etc etc. No dice.

Otherwise, its been a good truck so far.

2. Jan 7, 2009 at 2:47 PM
    Cobra69

Cobra69 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Taxachusetts (Massachusetts)
    Vehicle:
    02 Tocoma TRD Expedition Setup
    2002 Tacoma TRD Access Cab, Deckplate Mod.,Grey wire Mod.,Cobra CB,Ext. Diff. Breather,E-locker rear only for now,CBI Custom Winch bumper, SAW 2.0, All Pro 5" leaf packs+Bilstiens 5150-10" shocks,Cooper STT 285x75x16 on Wheelers Type B 16x8 rims, Budbuilt front+Mid skid plates, Custom transfer crossmember+skidplate,Trail-Gear sliders,custom roof-rack,Ultimate-air CO2 tank,4-Hella 500 H.I.D. Lights,Atlas 10,000 lbs winch. Custom Half-doors for the summer.
    I guess the question is do yo want to keep the truck OR buy a new one and start over fresh.

3. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    Jester243

Jester243 mod status????

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Spokane, WA
    Vehicle:
    2016 Trail Premium 4Runner w/ KDSS
    Welcome to TW!!! Got any pics of the truck?

4. Jan 7, 2009 at 3:22 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    12 Tundra TRDRW
    Nada, Zip, Zilch, Nothing
    Welcome to TW :D

5. Jan 7, 2009 at 6:50 PM
    magikbean562

magikbean562 once flirted with danger, danger got clingy

Member:
    First Name:
    greg
    socal
    Vehicle:
    02 4runner 04 solara
    4runner-32x11.5x15 falken rocky mt, tundra king 2.5 coilovers with taco perch, TC UCA, OME rear springs and procomp es9000's, thule roof rack.
    yeah stock clutches go in the 200k's. when was the last time you flushed the tranny fluid? and what code is giving the misfire? mine had to do with a busted fuel rail. good luck

6. Jan 8, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    bobwilson1977

bobwilson1977 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    KaliFORN-I-A
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma 2WD ( pizza delivery model)
    none except for crappy hub caps and floor mats.
    Thanks so far. I change the tranny oil about every 50-60k. I use redline synthetic. I don't recall the code per say. The first was for a misfire. The second time I checked a few years later, it was for a faulty TPS sensor. I replaced that. Light went off for 2-3 weeks.The interesting thing is that for the last 50-60,000 miles, I've noticed that every 20-30k, the throttle body gets pretty dirty. If I clean it as well as the small sensor that screws into the intake, the light goes off for awhile. I've been dealing with it for years, but have never found out what is really going on.

7. Jan 8, 2009 at 11:23 AM
    piratesvarsity22

piratesvarsity22 SickTacoFoSho

Member:
    florida
    Vehicle:
    1995 Tacoma
    smoked taillights, thrush glasspack muffler, hollowed out cat. K&n intake,2 12' infinity subwoofers. sony xplod cd player
    i have a 1995 tacoma 2.4 liter and it has about 160,000 on it and i had a misfire it felt like, but ended up being a clogged cat. make sure at idle ur getting good pressure out of ur exhaust. my check engine light didnt come on for that until it got really bad

To Top