1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New guy with the usual questions...

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Code3, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jul 17, 2010 at 7:54 PM
    Code3

Code3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 base model 2.7 liter Taco
    Hi folks! I'm a proud owner of a 2010 Tacoma, and today was my first oil change. That's why I'm here!

Let me start by saying I'll try not to be too clueless. I tried to search for the answers before I just arbitrarily shotgunned a bunch of random newbie questions all over the forum, but the more I searched, the more questions came to mind.

I'm not a big import guy, and I care less than nothing about being "fast and/or furious", but I am a mechanic (10 years of wrench turning on F-16s, and the last 2 years on AH-64s), so hopefully I can eventually contribute here in some way.

Anyway, I bought this little truck a few months ago because I wanted something reliable and good on gas. I've always known the Toyota pickup to be both...however...

After pulling the screwdriver out of my old oil filter and cleaning up the huge puddle in my driveway, I read the post about oil changes. I noticed that post was written in 2008, but does my 2010 have an oil filter drain somewhere? ...and why was that oil filter on top of the engine? ...and what's up with the gorilla torque on my oil filter, and that little guard thing around it that makes it suck to get to? Also, the owner's manual says "0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and good starting in cold weather", but I've only read about 5W-20 here. Is there a down side to 0W-20? Just to ensure the "oil change" horse is beaten to death: There was no gasket or washer on the drain plug. Should I put one on it?

Last but not least, I read a lot about the "deck plate mod" for the 2.7 liter, but I couldn't find an explanation of it anywhere. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

2. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
  3. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road
    No, the 4 cyl. does not have an oil drain. Best thing would probably be to take a plastic bag and wrap it to catch the oil. And the filter in the oil change thread was on top because it was a v6. Buy an oil filter wrench. And the oil viscosity really depends on where you live.

You said there was no washer on the drain plug?? Like just a regular bolt?

4. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:33 PM
    Code3

Code3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the links OZ-T; lots of info there. I'll be sifting through it all later.

Tbturner, I have an oil filter wrench. The factory filter was so damn tight that the wrench didn't work. I had to hammer a screwdriver through the filter and twist it off little at a time. That wasn't an easy task in those confined spaces. The oil pouring out of the several holes in the filter made the mess. Yep, no washer...unless it's in the old oil...oops!

5. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:35 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    :thumbsup:

You're welcome , hope it helps

OZ

6. Jul 17, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road
    Haha damn that sucks. Mine did that once too. I would keep an eye on that drain plug. You could fix it, and lose some oil. Or you can try to squeeze by with it.

7. Jul 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    chopper

chopper ky taco

Member:
    First Name:
    chop
    stanton,kentucky
    Vehicle:
    05 taco reg cab 4x4
    dura tracs, debadged, weathertech floormats, removed mudflaps,black paint wheels,k&n air intake.
    The old screwdriver trick ! Done that many times

8. Jul 26, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    I have found the bag doesn't help much. Just roll up the sleeve, put the catch pan under it and spin it off fast and steady. The replacement filters I got from the dealer for $6 and I asked for the washers; they gave them to me free of charge. The washers look dark green. I found after doing my 2nd change that the washer was pretty fused to my drain plug from factory.

9. Jul 26, 2010 at 11:42 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Kansas
    Vehicle:
    16 Chevrolet Silverado
    The deck plate is only possible on a first gen as far as I know

10. Jul 27, 2010 at 12:05 AM
    numbah57

numbah57 GIVE THE MALL A BREAK...WHEEL THAT SHIT

Member:
    First Name:
    kahai
    Maui, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma 2.7 Beaten not Babied
    URD ARB G2 PELFREY BAMF LCE AFE
  11. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:22 AM
    Barnone

Barnone Guest

I change my oil and filter on the gravel part of my driveway because of the messy filter location and don't park it on the pavement for a while after the change because of the oil drips. Almost impossible to wipe all the oil off the under carriage.

Should have bought the fiter relocation kit eight years ago.lol

12. Aug 1, 2010 at 7:30 AM
    Code3

Code3 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks everyone for your input; looks like I've got some reading to do!

13. Aug 1, 2010 at 8:05 AM
    c2thegreat

c2thegreat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ol' Virginny
    Vehicle:
    09 4 banger
    Readylift sst,31in. mts,TRD sport bilstein rear shocks,new head unit,bedlined tool box,fishing rack,35% tint,fogs
    Ive had to hammer my oil filter with a screwdriver everytime I have changed my oil.

14. Aug 8, 2010 at 11:11 AM
    DGXR

DGXR Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Friend
    Sacramento, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 2.7L SR5 2-wheel drive
    I wedge a smallish piece of cardboard (maybe 6" x 14") up there between the filter mount and the block, so when the filter gasket breaks loose it drips down the filter, onto the cardboard and down into the drain pan. Yeah I get a few drips on my hands but not much.

Products Discussed in

To Top