1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Hawaii Safety Check Law

Discussion in 'Hawaii' started by TRDGRL, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Aug 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM
    datacoflip

datacoflip Member

Member:
    Honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD Sport Pyrite Mica
    Is there a website where the new rules and regulations are?
    I went to a place in Waipahu (mom and pop) didn't pass because I had a sticker on the bottom left of my back window (when you are in the cab you cant even see the sticker) and I had LEDs in my reverse and license plate lights. Took it to another place and passed without any questions.

2. Aug 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM
    Brendo Ballz808

Brendo Ballz808 Slammed or lifted.. ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN STOCK

Member:
    First Name:
    BRENDEN
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    SNOFLAKE
    Check out my build:)
    The rules haven't changed just the method of how they do the safety inspections. Supposedly its always been a law that you cant have stickers on the rear window no matter where it is which I find stupid cause ive seen people with fully loaded vans and guys with camper shells passing like that doesn't block your vision smh. Just either gotta peel em of find a shop that doesn't notice it but good thing is you got it.

3. Aug 7, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    Wait? I thought trucks and SUV's could have stickers in the back window. Car wise, no can.

4. Aug 7, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    Brendo Ballz808

Member:
    First Name:
    BRENDEN
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    SNOFLAKE
    That's what I was told too but ive had friends fail because they have a small sticker on the back window of there truck. The sticker was behind the headrest even hows that brah!

5. Aug 7, 2014 at 4:43 PM
    luka

luka Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Kailua, HI
    Vehicle:
    Prerunner -> 4WD Converted
    Pelfreybilt, Warn, BAMF, DTRL toggle on/off, FJ OEM Fog/Aux Light switches, 2012 lower center console swap, wired in auto-dimming rear view mirror, Wet-Okole inside, Weathertech , Rigid, Tint, Roto-Pax, Bestop, OME, Extended SS brake lines, TRD TX Pro/Baja Graphite 16" Rims
    stickers are ok for trucks/suvs

it's the places doing the inspection that don't know...so because they don't know, they improvise instead of getting up to speed.

6. Aug 7, 2014 at 5:19 PM
    bkiel311

bkiel311 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Kenosha, WI
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4
    4" BDS lift with Fox suspension, Bushwacker Pocket Fender Flares, 33" Mickey Thompson ATZ All Terrain on Fuel Hostages
    I was going to say. I have 4 on mine and I've passed with no issues.

7. Aug 7, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    Brendo Ballz808

Member:
    First Name:
    BRENDEN
    Oahu
    Vehicle:
    SNOFLAKE
    same here I got 2 on the rear window in the corners passed no problem

8. Aug 7, 2014 at 10:55 PM
    xurusaibobx

xurusaibobx Well-Known Member

Member:
    stickers on trucks n suv are not allowed. but DOT made a exception if you cant see it from the drivers seat IE behind a head rest or corners of windows then its allowed. if its in view then it has to be scrapped off.

thats the official ruling as of 2 months ago straight from the DOT supervisor in charge of PMVI. but on the other hand if you ever ask for a printed document they cant provide it because it doesnt exist. its just people trying to cover up shit and making people happy.

being a vehicle inspector isnt easy

9. Aug 8, 2014 at 11:58 AM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    I always went by the books we used to study to become a pmvi inspector. at the place we worked, we had a simple handbook from the 80s and we had a lot of print outs of the HRS's so we could use it for reference. A lot of print outs from what does not pass(and past violations of the station…lol). Had pictures of specific things like under body, things to be reminded to look for, the bumper and weight limit heights.
    A lot of things cops look for and what pmvi does is different…like exhaust. pmvi goes by "not louder than stock" while cops go by no louder than 98db.

A cop can down your vehicle for stickers on the back window….you can't see out the rear window, the rear view mirror is now defunct, its an unsafe vehicle so either remove it or they can tow your car. then they pass on why they gave the car an unsafe ticket, the higher ups can now look the pic of your car from the time of inspection..if had stickers on the back window then boom kanani, suspended license!

like rusai said, being an inspector isn't easy. lol

10. Aug 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    oh but on vans and trucks, its different from cars. vans and trucks only needa worry about the front windshield and two front side windows. you can spray paint the back windows black.

but thats because not all cargo vans and/or trucks(smaller haul kine) don't always have a rear facing window either…but since the technicality of the law says can…can.

but of course cops and inspectors covering their ass will tell you no.

11. Aug 10, 2014 at 10:42 PM
    MadMatt

MadMatt Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner SR5
    Switchback signals, led stop lights.
    If you have both outside mirrors, then stickers on the rear window of a truck mpvh or a van is ok. I've always passed this type and have not gotten any grief for it. I was not sure years back, so I asked. Same reason you can have dark tint on the rear widows of these types of vehicles.

12. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:39 PM
    xurusaibobx

Member:
    you heard this recently or years back? theres a lot of "updates" with the recently inspection changes.

i dont risk it on my part by the law as written if people have problems i tell them go else where and be happy i dont charge them for the inspection.

13. Aug 13, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    tx novice

tx novice Foward momentum

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    OAHU
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4X4 TX PRO silver
    Trd, Cal Tech, Weather tech, Viper, Al's tinting . L.E.D's , Hide a Hitch or Chrome Stinger , Walker Evans Resi's w/AllPro 3" lift ,FLM, ProComp Xtreme MT2 , Diff Breather Mod, 4x4 Switch Light mod, Plastic Derped. Trailer Socket Relocate mod via Miles , 4:56 G2 gears. Blue Intake Spacer, S.S. Brake Lines F&R, Sway Bar Deleted, Roll-X, Pop-N-Lock Electric. Red metal TRD badges. Paid Off Mod- Chee Hu, Superbumbs(f),Timbrens(r).Pelfrey Bilt, Bamf, Urd. Cobra Heat Shield.CMC .Mishimoto (custom bracket by Nate), Powerstop, Rampage 50".Depo Taillights,SPPC Black Headlights, Rigid Industries. Factor 55.American AirFlow.
    Blue tinted Headlight Bulbs still illegal?

They now come stock from the Ducati Factory on their new Monster 1200s!?!

14. Aug 13, 2014 at 9:37 PM
    xurusaibobx

Member:
    if its stock then its up to the inspector to pass.
    buick had made a SUV that had Blue angel eyes those are technically legal since angel eyes are not a inspected item

15. Aug 14, 2014 at 12:49 AM
    JPM OEF x3 MP

JPM OEF x3 MP Well-Known Member

Member:
    AZ desert
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD PRO Inferno
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but what is the deal with the tire width rules in Hawaii? Wnat to make sure before inspec and possible Recon????

16. Aug 14, 2014 at 9:19 AM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    if you move to oahu you may need recon. but tire tread must be covered by your fender or a covering(flare, lawn edging). the rim and sidewall can stick out, not the tire tread.
    if it came stock with mud flaps, you will need it. if you're lifted, you may be told you need it.

Ive been lucky on my taco, but my brothers stock dodge ram 2500 has been ticketed for no mud flaps and I've been bothered in other vehicles I own or have owned for having wide tires and no mud flaps.

17. Aug 16, 2014 at 10:14 AM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    bwaahahahah, it would pass! or at least it should, since technically, you are following the rules.
    I have a pair of 2wd mud flaps stamped toyota, always wanted to run it since its oem equipment. they can't tell you put on a mud flap on a skying yoga if thats something they offered stock.

18. Aug 17, 2014 at 3:32 AM
    hoenah808

hoenah808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trent
    Honolulu, HI
    Vehicle:
    '14 AC sr5 4x4
    heard fhis down the grape vine...cops been targeting cars whose rims stick out past the fender even thk the tire threads are covered..as we call it (poke)

19. Aug 18, 2014 at 6:04 AM
    tx novice

tx novice Foward momentum

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    OAHU
    Vehicle:
    11 DC 4X4 TX PRO silver
    Trd, Cal Tech, Weather tech, Viper, Al's tinting . L.E.D's , Hide a Hitch or Chrome Stinger , Walker Evans Resi's w/AllPro 3" lift ,FLM, ProComp Xtreme MT2 , Diff Breather Mod, 4x4 Switch Light mod, Plastic Derped. Trailer Socket Relocate mod via Miles , 4:56 G2 gears. Blue Intake Spacer, S.S. Brake Lines F&R, Sway Bar Deleted, Roll-X, Pop-N-Lock Electric. Red metal TRD badges. Paid Off Mod- Chee Hu, Superbumbs(f),Timbrens(r).Pelfrey Bilt, Bamf, Urd. Cobra Heat Shield.CMC .Mishimoto (custom bracket by Nate), Powerstop, Rampage 50".Depo Taillights,SPPC Black Headlights, Rigid Industries. Factor 55.American AirFlow.
    I read that one too.
    Would love to see them try and make those ilegal with Harleys. Will never happen! The guy that would make that bill would probably get death threats too.

20. Aug 18, 2014 at 6:10 PM
    Kala

Kala Well-Known Member

Member:
    BigIsland
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    [​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top