1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New head unit suggestions

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by NiceTaco, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Apr 11, 2013 at 5:28 PM
    NiceTaco

NiceTaco [OP] Canadian Redneck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    I have a 2012 non entune..

Looking for suggestions on a new double din head unit. I don't want to spend the money for a nav unit as I have a separate nav system and my iPhone nav works just fine. I don't really care for the DVD payback either, I don't plan on watching any movies in my truck.

I would like something with a nice display, Siriusxm, Bluetooth, iPhone connectivity, something I can get all stock steering wheel controls to work etc.. All the normal shit.

I have been checking out pioneers app radio looks pretty good but won't play cd's not that I ever do anymore anyway. Suggestions on units and maybe online sites with good pricing would be awesome! Thanks:D

2. Apr 11, 2013 at 5:48 PM
    aaronc7

aaronc7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    I was looking into the appradio, but decided against it due to the fact it only had 4 channel RCA output. It seemed like while the appradio IDEA is cool...maybe not super well implemented yet (especially for android).

I don't plan on ever watching movies on mine, but it does have the capability (I just wanted a decent screened double DIN)...

Check out the Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS. It has some of the appradio stuff for Apple iphones as well. I use my iPod mainly with mine, and of course it works great with that. I got the Axxess steering wheel adapter. It's working flawless as well.

3. Apr 11, 2013 at 5:54 PM
    NiceTaco

NiceTaco [OP] Canadian Redneck

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport
    Aero Turbine 2525, Front bilstein 5100's @1.75, rear 5100's, 1" Toytec rear block, Devil Horns, BGF AT's, 18" Moto Metal 962's
    Will do man..

The other thing I left out.. Is it possible to keep the existing USB input? I like that its there and I want to keep it clean...

4. Apr 11, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    jparf

jparf blissfully biased

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Silver Highlander Limited
    Someone posted this before and said it worked but I don't have first hand experience. I did order one for my head unit swap.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_61468_Axxess-AX-TOYUSB.html

Aaron, do you have sirius? One of the Amazon reviews said they couldn't use the axxess with the sirius adapter so m wondering if you have experience with that. I'm looking to get the pioneer as well but need sirius and want the steering wheel remotes.

5. Apr 12, 2013 at 3:36 PM
    aaronc7

aaronc7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Mine doesn't support sirius, but I just looked on Crutchfield and the Sirius XM adapter and Axxess appear to be different plug styles. The Axxess literally plugs into the "wired remote" plug on the back (looks just like a stereo plug), while the Sirius adapter is a round plug with a bunch of pins. Looking at the back of Sirius compatible headunits, there is definitely a dedicated port for each.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_220SXV200/SiriusXM-SXV200V1-Tuner.html

6. Apr 12, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    chetweewax

chetweewax Well-Known Member

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport
    Homelink mirror (Adding soon) Came with truck: FUEL Rims, Mickey Thompsons, Vinyl Tonneau Cover, Remote Start, 20% front window tint
    I just installed a Kenwood DPX500BT with XM and Axxess steering wheel controls, works great. Bought all if it on Amazon.
    The axxess controls were a little of a pain, needed a separate ground for some reason, but worked great after that.

7. Apr 12, 2013 at 3:50 PM
    chetweewax

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport
    Homelink mirror (Adding soon) Came with truck: FUEL Rims, Mickey Thompsons, Vinyl Tonneau Cover, Remote Start, 20% front window tint
    Forgot to mention, the head unit will control pandora, iheartradio, and a few others if you Bluetooth your smart phone to it. Siri works too, but you have to reach for a button on the radio, not a steering wheel control. Whole setup cost about $325, and two hours of my time.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  8. Apr 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM
    Cerberus

Cerberus Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4 4.0L V6
    I have a 2011 with no frills, stock radio. I like the idea of a new head unit with BlueTooth... I can't hear anything through the stock stereo. The volume is crap!

Do you have a pic of your setup?

9. Apr 12, 2013 at 5:39 PM
    jparf

jparf blissfully biased

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Vehicle:
    15 Silver Highlander Limited
    That head unit is too basic. I like the Panasonic right now.

10. Apr 12, 2013 at 9:21 PM
    chetweewax

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport
    I will take a few pics tomorrow, it is a pretty basic looking head unit, but there are a lot of features without having to break the bank. Took a little bit to tune the stock speakers in, may have been easier with aftermarket, but again on a budget. Sound quality is way better than stock, and now have Bluetooth and XM.
    Hands free calling with XM was a must (big Howard fan).

11. Apr 13, 2013 at 1:14 PM
    chetweewax

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport
  12. Apr 13, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    nova423

nova423 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCLB TRD Sport
    Nerf bars, LED lights, truxport tonneau
    Is that black thing the mic for the handsfree phone? I have a 2012 and the stock mic is garbage, no one can ever hear what I am saying on the other end.

13. Apr 13, 2013 at 2:14 PM
    chetweewax

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    15 TRD Sport
    Yes it is the mic that came with the head unit

Products Discussed in

To Top