1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New here, help with lift and wheels

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Daudio, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Mar 14, 2010 at 3:08 PM
    Daudio

Daudio [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    avic-d1 sirius tuner Ipod adapter
    Hey guys, been lurking but just signed up recently. I have some questions that I'm sure have been beat to death on here but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for from the search. Here's it goes: I have a 2002 reg cab SR5 4x4. It's the 4 cyl, manual trans. I want to lift it a little bit(I don't off-road, but wanna start) and have already got advice from buddies about body lifts so that's out. A friend of mine who wheels said don't lift it at all because it's not powerful enough. He seems to think that if I lift it a little and put some wheels and tires on it, it's gonna be a dog...highway especially. He's got a 4 cyl jeep and wheels with it so I listened but figured I could get the best advice here. Do any of you have a lift and wheels and tires on your 4cyl? how's the ride and how much slower is it? Thanks for any replies.
    BTW, I am a car audio technician so if any of you have any electrical questions I'll probably be able to help.

2. Mar 14, 2010 at 10:05 PM
    Daudio

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    bump, nobody?

3. Mar 14, 2010 at 10:12 PM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    I see alot of 4 bangers on the trails with lifts and tires. I'm inclined to believe they are ok. I had an 02 v6 prerunner with 3.92 gears I would assume you would have atleast 4.10's in the rear.

Oh and a jeep is a whole other ball game.

4. Mar 14, 2010 at 10:14 PM
    BirdTRD

BirdTRD Unsuspectingly striking from above

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road 4x4
    Front (2.75" total): 1.6" Eibach coils, Toytec 0.5" (L) & 0.25" (R) top plate spacers, 5100's @ 0.85", Built Right uniball UCA's, Differential drop, Removed sway bar Rear: TSB springs, Wheeler's 1.5" AAL, 5100's, 2* shims, Carrier bearing drop, F and R Spidertrax, 285/75-16 Goodyear Duratracs, Self-fabbed sliders, rear bumper, and skid plates, Cobra 75 CB, Bed lined slim lo-pro tool box, Bed Extender, Diff breather mod, Two tail gate security mods, Exhaust dumped behind axle, Can't leave shit alone so plenty more coming...
    Welcome!

If you want to wheel, yes, lift it. Nothing extreme though. Just lift it a couple of inches and bump up the tires an inch or two. Do not get a spacer lift. Save up and do it right with some OME coils and shocks (or something similar). It will be capable of most everything you want.

The lift won't affect your power. The tires will slow you down a little but not too much. You won't be laying down 50 foot scratch but you won't be getting passed by school buses either.

If you off road, you will gain more from a lift than what you'd lose. Check out wheelersoffroad.com and toyteclifts.com as a starting point.

5. Mar 14, 2010 at 11:40 PM
    Daudio

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    Thanks for the replies, I checked the toyotec site before. They have a lot and I am an amateur in every sense of the word, so I don't know where to start. I'm pretty sure this is my exact truck and I really like the look of the truck on the toytec website(red one about half way down the page on the right) but not sure at all what I need to accomplish it. I have the money to do whatever lift and wheel/tire package I want (within reason) but don't know what to do. I appreciate it, but the gears reply might as well be chinese to me. I just need it dumbed down a little but so I can understand what you guys mean. Thanks again.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2016
  6. Mar 15, 2010 at 4:57 AM
    luk8272

luk8272 Poodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Lucas
    Kaplan, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    07 Silver4dr. 4x4, V6 Shortbed
    5% Tint, Bug flector, vent Visors, Removed secondary air filter, Rear Spring TSB w/ Wheeler's Add A Leaf HD Pack, Icon 2.0 rear shocks, Toytec 3" lift up front with Total Chaos UCA's, Debadged, Billet Grille,TRD Offroad rims/17x9 Pro comp 6001 rims, Duratracs 265/75/16 or 285/70/17, Fog light anytime mod, Tailgate hose clamp mod, Pro-dry AFE filter. Extended Differential Breather, ABS on/off, 6000k LEDs from CSJumper, heads/fogs, ScanguageII, Devil horns, Devil horns on third brake light, Mounted 60" Highlift, Mounted Tool Box, Wet Okole Front/Rear Seat Covers, TW sticker, Midland Handheld CB,Painted engine cover, Revenge Fab Sliders, ARE Topper, Weather tech Floorliners.
    Disreguard the gears I was thinking out loud so to speak. lol. This is a great site to learn about wheeling as well as your own truck.

Either one of these kits would suit your needs!
    OME Tacoma suspension

[​IMG]

OME-9504TAC
    Product Details...

$699.99

Ultimate Tacoma lift with Bilstein shocks

[​IMG]

ULTAC-955
    Product Details...

$969.99

You just have to decide if you will want and aftermarket front bumper if you do get the heavier duty coils. Also get the AAL (add a leaf) avoid the lift blocks. Oh and if you order from toyetc we get a discount for being members of this site so get the code from here Toytec discount code?

7. Mar 15, 2010 at 6:42 AM
    bgdeer1

bgdeer1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    minooka il
    Vehicle:
    tacoma prerunner
    3 inch lift in back 1 1/2 front. 31' mesa A/T's. Alpine deck, alpine speakers, l5 kicker solo baric sub
    i can tell you first hand about 4 cyl and lift kits and big tires blah blah blah but! the lift itself will not affect your speed and power, what will is the tires and the bulkness, larger size, tread etc. I personally own a 03 prerunner 4 Cyl with a 3 inch spacer kit and 3 inch shackles in back and love it. But your sacrificing the smooth ride for something alil harder but i wanted to go cheap since it was my first lift and first truck. I use 31inch Cooper Mesa A/T's and i could feel a huge difference in the ride and how it handled which is all good. I lost a tad bit of power but i tried the ect button which messes with the way the truck shifts at certain rpms n fixed the problem. Dont be concerned about loosing power with lift, its the bigger tires 32+ that may hurt you

8. Mar 15, 2010 at 9:12 AM
    Daudio

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    Thanks a lot for the help guys, I'm going to start ordering things this week and hopefully have it all done by the end of the month. I will post pics when I do it. And thanks for the tires post, I would have gone bigger but I think you just convinced me not to!

9. Mar 15, 2010 at 9:29 AM
    99yodataco

99yodataco Little Taco that could

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    New Mexico, it's just a little bit fresher.
    Vehicle:
    99 taco 2.7l SAS
    Dana 44 front and some other useless things.
    My two cents. I have a jeep that had a 4 cyl, lift, and 33" mud tires aswell as own a tacoma with a 4 cyl, 3" lift, and 33" tires. The taco does better on highway with the stock 4.10 gears than my jeep any day

10. Mar 16, 2010 at 8:31 AM
    Daudio

Member:
    North Jersey
    Vehicle:
    '02 SR5
    exactly what I wanted to hear!!:D

11. Mar 16, 2010 at 5:54 PM
    BRP27

BRP27 When I grow up I want to be just like Me

Member:
    So far south in Texas my feet are in salt water
    Vehicle:
    04 4X4 Tacoma SR5
    3 in Ultimate ToyTec, set @ 2.5 in. AAL PINCH Weld Mod ( beat the pinch weld over inside the fender) Painted the pinch weld on bottom of cab Black Hi Lift Knock off
    33s are 285/75/16 +-. 33 refers to the dia of the tire.

33s will fit real easy on a 02 with a 2 or 3 in lift. I have the Toytec Ultimate on an 04 SR5 4X4 and the only rubbing is on the frame at wheel lock. Rims should be 0 offset and 4.0 backspace(BS). Dont compromise on the backspace and you will clear the UCA Upper control arm and the frame. I have the V6 but I think you will be fine with the 4 banger. And if you get rims pay attention to the lug nuts the wheel studs are short with after market rims and you need to make sure you have good lug thread engagement. Here is a link on wheel studs http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/16938-wheel-studs-too-short.html

To Top