1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New here, motor mount question

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by caseymckeeborrego, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Nov 6, 2010 at 11:15 PM
    caseymckeeborrego

caseymckeeborrego [OP] Member

Member:
    desert hot springs
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    K&N filter
    Hello all,

Love the site and plan on becoming an avid visitor.

Just curious if anyone else has had this issue. I'm on my third set of motor mounts this year and am sure the frame is bent. Have brought it into the shop and they admit they don't see anything bent or know exactly what to look for. Ive been told by a friend that I could have a transmission mount issue that might cause the problem by forcing the drive line towards and angle.
    I can hear the fan hit the shroud when I make right turns and it is quite unsettling. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Im sort of stuck riding my Yamaha till this gets resolved.

2. Nov 7, 2010 at 1:23 AM
    island808

island808 Me l've got brains.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jedediah
    hawaii
    Vehicle:
    '10 6speed 4x4 access cab
    I surely hope no one else has this issue.

Sounds like you have a problem. Whenever I've had a broken motor mount (due to something other than age or oil leaks) its been a drive line issue. That is... something is out of place. Meaning, your transmission mount may well be knackered. The engine balances between the motor mounts and transmission crossmember in Front engine rear drive cars. I've also broken motor mounts when installed wrong ones or backwards, wrong side, pressed in upside down.. Your engine should be level when the new mounts are installed. front to back and side to side. Fan hitting the shroud.. eep... that's no good. I bet you're missing your transmission mount or its bolts all together. in which case, you've got the worst garage in the world doing these motor mounts.

This all assumes that there's no lift on the truck, people do strange things sometimes. Rather than tilting the axel they tilted the power train .. eh?

If it were the chassis.. The car was hit, or you don't know its history? It would probably be pretty visible if it were bent enough to break motor mounts. Bring it to a collision shop.. not a "garage". We gots stuff in the collision shop, not only to measure the frame for squareness but potentially fix it.

3. Nov 7, 2010 at 8:47 AM
    caseymckeeborrego

caseymckeeborrego [OP] Member

Member:
    desert hot springs
    Vehicle:
    06 prerunner
    K&N filter
    Thanks for that, I hope its just the tranny mount. I bought this poor war beaten truck new and it has been through some amazing and horrendous adventures. Is the Axle seal a tough change? I've done one on a freightliner but never a small truck. Its leaking and I don't want to roach anything. The shop wanted 300 to do it, but its like a $17 dollar part.

Ive put 119,000 miles on it and many have been off orad through out California, its even done a lap around the Vet track at Pala Raceway.

Products Discussed in

To Top