1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New HU recommendations

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by kuntry09, May 29, 2012.

1. May 29, 2012 at 6:17 PM
    kuntry09

kuntry09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cam
    Douglas, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    '99 extended cab Tacoma 4x4 converted Prerunner
    I've had the same HU for about 5 years now. I got it from a friend who had it about as long so it's at least 10 years. I can't recall the exact model off the top of my head but it was one of the nicer Pioneers at the time. Sadly, I feel it's time to retire it and look for something else. I'm not sure what to get or even what to look at though. I do know I want some features close to what I have already with the the parametric eq, sub levels/frequency,things like that. The door speakers are running off of a external amp so I'm not concerned with the wattage of the HU itself, just wanting something that would send good, strong, clear signal to door speaker amp and the sub amp. It would be nice for the display color to match the other light colors in the truck but that's not a big issue for me. I also want a usb port or something similar to run my ipod, I know most HU come standard that way now though. I'm looking to spend somewhere around $200, $250 would probably be my tops but may consider $300 depending. Any recommendations?

2. May 29, 2012 at 7:44 PM
    dylan199

dylan199 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Look into the Sony DSX-310BTX.

3. May 29, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    i'm running an Alpine idx-305s. 99% of my audio is from an ipod and i absolutely love this stereo!!!!! In my opinion there is no better ipod interface than the idx alpine series stereo's.

4. May 29, 2012 at 11:57 PM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    I just recently got an alpine cde-hd138bt. It's connects to my android PERFECTLY.

5. May 30, 2012 at 12:00 AM
    thebaker

thebaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Byron
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    Upgraded to a 3rd gen
    Never ending......$$$
    are you connecting your android through bluetooth or a cable? Are you streaming music or just using it for phone calls?

6. May 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM
    eight08

eight08 Active Member

Member:
    honolulu
    Vehicle:
    2012 reg. cab 4x4
    i have the kenwood kiv-bt901 - probably not what you're looking for, and on the border of your price range.
    [​IMG]

but some features i find awesome:

usb in rear - ipod cable goes to the back of the unit and out of site, so my ipod just stays hidden all the time. previous head unit only had usb on the front.

parrot bluetooth - automatically pairs with my galaxy nexus whenever i turn my truck on. mounted my mic on the upper a-pillar. works flawlessly.

system tuning - plenty of different options. can input speaker distance, speaker size, crossover freq. including slopes

"chameleon" lighting scheme - can match any interior color lighting

if i were buying another head unit, i would personally look for those features again. there's no cd player (i don't want to carry any cds), and the radio tuning is difficult as there's no channel buttons (but i only listen to ipod). perfect for me.

7. May 30, 2012 at 2:32 AM
    2008taco

2008taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    chris
    san diego
    I am streaming music through the bluetooth, and it takes calls as well. It has full pandora control for droids also. It only has a usb on the front, and will only charge a droid through it. This was the first deck I've bought in 8-10 years, and back then alpine was the top brand, imagine my surprise when I found their top of the line single din was only 260.

8. Jun 7, 2012 at 12:19 PM
    Mark16q

Mark16q Active Member

Member:
    Agoura hills
    Vehicle:
    07 4 cyl prerunner
    thinking about throwing this unit in my truck. Any other feedback on it? Mainly want bluetooth and ipod / droid connectivity. Radio is used ocassionally but not critical. Does it need another amp, or adequate with stock speakers, etc.

Thanks,

Mark

9. Jun 9, 2012 at 7:43 AM
    CrutchfieldDarren

CrutchfieldDarren Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Darren
    Check out the pioneer deh-80prs for a great sq deck with some great features! We are having a hard time even keeping this unit in stock!

http://www.crutchfield.com/I-rTOYc111/p_13080PRS/Pioneer-DEH-80PRS.html

Products Discussed in

To Top