1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New in the USA: RLD Design

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by Adventure Ready, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Jan 7, 2022 at 4:06 PM
    awwbugman

awwbugman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kings/Deavers/SPCs 35x10.5 Kendas, LRA FuelTank, WARN Zeon10s SDHQ mount, Switch Pro, LightForce rock lights, reverse light & Lightbar, Baja Design Squadron Pro fogs, CaliRaised Sliders, RLD Canopy, Odyssey group 31, Dometic CFX3-55IM
  2. Jan 9, 2022 at 2:00 PM
    SportsmanJake

SportsmanJake Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra
    Anyone know what the side door opening dimensions are ?

3. Jan 11, 2022 at 8:17 PM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Beautiful setup. Tell us more about this bushing system. I assume this is something you designed, as opposed to the standard RLD cross bars and roof rack?

4. Jan 11, 2022 at 8:22 PM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    My canopy took six months to arrive after I ordered it from Adventure Mobile/RLD USA. Despite that, I absolutely love it. Now thinking about a roof rack system, possibly FrontRunner, but I’m not too familiar with how they work and am having trouble envisioning the best way to utilize the canopy holes and keep everything as low-pro as possible (garage clearance). Seems like the method of mounting a roof rack to tracks just adds height unnecessarily. Again, maybe I’m missing something.

2F6D06D1-FB83-4AFB-8915-54FCA4E9CCB6.jpg
    D7BDFE85-11C6-432F-94CE-87F5C000F718.jpg
    D14AAFFB-EC8D-4F4C-8CEA-528924040885.jpg

tacoconvoy and Scontroneboy like this.
  5. Jan 12, 2022 at 8:15 AM
    Scontroneboy

Scontroneboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    Great looking rig! If you're going to mount the rack using mounting feet the roof tracks aren't going to raise the height by more than 1/8", the mounting feet themselves will add the height. You can mount the rack directly to the canopy using the holes on the ribs which would save you the .5", 1" or 1.5" from the actual mounting feet.

I've gone the track route and like the versatility of being able to use Thule load bars or my platform rack without having to unbolt anything from the inside (running a half cabinet as well). First thing I'd consider is what you're actually using the rack for and what's going up there. Personally, I've gone to a wedge style tent to keep roof space vs my old Smittybilt and Yakima tents so now I'm rethinking my need for the platform rack altogether since the tent itself has load bars, etc. So, now I'm going back to 2 or 3 load bars...it's a never ending dilemma and ongoing transformation for most builds so thinking ahead to what you may want down the road is the best place to start, in my opinion.

Good luck\m/

AggiePhil[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 12, 2022 at 10:57 AM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    What are Thule load bars for? Seems like the roof rack (I think you called it a platform rack) lets you mount anything you'd need to it, no?

7. Jan 12, 2022 at 12:11 PM
    Scontroneboy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    Thule load bars are the more traditional load bars that use mounting feet or boots like you'd see on a fiberglass topper. Best for mounting bikes, kayaks, cargo boxes/baskets, etc. The platform racks can do the same and offer more real estate for mounting Max Traxx, propane tanks, water tanks...

However, if you're planing on mounting a rooftop tent to the canopy like I did you may not need to spend the money for a platform rack since the tent eats up the entire rack. Especially if you're going with a tent like the Mt Hood which has load bars on the roof already and t-tracks all around for mounting awnings, shovels, lights or whatever else you'd mount to the platform.

Saving money and shedding weight are always on my mind, hence the rant above, hahaha! Feel free to DM if you have any specific questions or want to see any pics, like everyone else on this forum I've gone down the rabbit holes and love to share what was at the bottom.

Dood86 and AggiePhil[QUOTED] like this.
  8. Jan 12, 2022 at 1:40 PM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Gotcha. I don't screw with bicycles and kayaks, so I think a full rack that can have Maxtrax, water tanks, awnings, storage boxes, etc. is what I'd want.

Scontroneboy[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Jan 14, 2022 at 12:14 PM
    GladiatorNOT

GladiatorNOT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Old Man BP51 coilovers Dakar HD leaf springs Icon Delta control arms TRD Pro rims with Kenda Klever RT 33x10.5 tires Exhaust mod TRD front skid, RCI tranny and transfer case skids Southern Style Slimline front bumper Baja Designs S8 bumper light Warn Zeon Platinum 10s winch 4.88 Nitro gears ARB front locking differential ARB twin air compressor X2 Power 27 battery RCI rear bumper with Rigid SRQ lights RCI rock sliders RLD canopy Dometic CFX3 55 refrigerator TRD Pro grill Front & Rear anytime camera Seat Jackers Diode Dynamics Pro fogs
    If your going to go with bars then the only ones that would make sense would Yakima HD bars. You can mount them directly to the canopy to keep the height down and can attach just about anything directly to them. I’ve mounted ARB awning brackets directly to them, a CVT tent, Maxtrax boards, a Roadshower, etc. Doesn’t make sense to use Thule or any other kind of bars. So if you don’t want to go with a full rack then the Yakima HD bars is a good option.

Anybody looking for a rail slider? Have a brand new full rail slider that was purchased new from RLD. Would cost close to $500 to have a new one shipped to you. Willing to let mine go for just $20. Never been mounted. It’s stainless steel and powder coated just like the canopies. Just $20. Won’t ship it but if your around the Bend Oregon area or passing through this is a no brainer purchase for $20 if you have an RLD canopy.

BigDog37 and AggiePhil[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Jan 14, 2022 at 12:28 PM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Member

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Would they run lengthwise or side-to-side?

11. Jan 18, 2022 at 12:41 PM
    velogeek

velogeek Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2024 4Runner
    If you want a rack and not cross bars, I highly recommend the new design Rhino platforms. The new ones have fully adjustable support bars underneath that can be set to the correct centers for the holes. You just need to get some hardware to mount it directly to the cap and you're good to go. Added just the height of the rack to my Gladiator and it's been rock solid for over a year now with about 100# of crap attached to it 24/7.

12. Feb 2, 2022 at 3:29 PM
    Taco_Vet21

Taco_Vet21 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    RLD Canopy, Sequential turn signals, hood and window wind guards
    Hey Everyone!
    I was able to find, purchase, and have my RLD Canopy shipped within about a week and a half… NO LIE! I couldn’t find any around me in Ohio so I started looking at dealers from other states on RLDdesignsusa.com… I stumbled on Altitude Industries out of Colorado. He only had a couple left but said they had a shipment on the way.
    Anyways, they were a SUPER informative, small run business and he shipped it to me in the crate, I picked it up from my local freight company (or you can have it shipped to your house for an extra fee). I installed it myself with just help from one buddy to lift it on the bed.
    I highly recommend these guys. Lee, one of the owners, answered questions I didn’t even know I had, lol.

Go check them out!
    https://www.altitude-industries.com/

Storms hitting good today.. the cap does leak more than I was hoping.. gotta figure out if I didn’t tighten down enough to press the seal down more or what the case may be.. I know it’s not gonna be 100% water tight.
    upload_2022-2-2_18-26-50.jpg

I’m trying to figure out how to wire up this dang 3rd break light though..

13. Feb 3, 2022 at 6:45 AM
    Dood86

Dood86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    Everett, Washington
    Vehicle:
    21 tacoma sr long bed 2wd
    Led lights
    Keep us updated. This is the Information we can't find. Other than bed leaking didn't know of water problems on rld canopy

Taco_Vet21[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Feb 4, 2022 at 12:10 AM
    tacoconvoy

tacoconvoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM DCLB TRD OR
    Looks great!

I wire tapped into the 3rd brake light on the left side using a quick wire splice set from Harbor Freight ( ). You can get them from AutoZone or any auto shop as well. Been taking the truck off road, no issues from vibrations, etc.

After having the canopy & traveling in the truck full time I've experienced leaks from the stock top bolt hole covers.

Taco_Vet21[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. Feb 4, 2022 at 7:26 AM
    fredgoodsell

fredgoodsell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Salt Lake, UT
    Vehicle:
    2017 DC TRD OR
    I would recommend posi-taps over the quick splice style for anyone wiring their 3rd brake lights:
    https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html

Taco_Vet21 likes this.
  16. Feb 6, 2022 at 11:00 AM
    Taco_Vet21

Taco_Vet21 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Hey all!
    Here is a link to a YouTube video I made showing how I wired up the 3rd brake light for the RLD Design canopy..
    Sorry if the video is grainy.

https://youtu.be/gvyE2F25ezk

tacoconvoy and Dood86 like this.
  17. Feb 6, 2022 at 11:26 AM
    Scontroneboy

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma
    I've had my RLD for a while now and the only leak I had was from the rivets on the pressure vent. A quick once over with silicone fixed the problem and been leak free ever since. Also sealed the two front corners where the canopy meets the bed when I did the install with RVT

Dood86[QUOTED] and Taco_Vet21 like this.
  18. Feb 6, 2022 at 1:24 PM
    Taco_Vet21

Taco_Vet21 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ‘21 Tacoma TRD Offroad
    Scontroneboy and tacoconvoy like this.
  19. Feb 17, 2022 at 3:39 AM
    tacoconvoy

tacoconvoy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 MGM DCLB TRD OR
    Anyone find a solution to
    Apologies, never made it to your area due to the storm the occurred when I traveled towards Oregon. Ended up side tracking my route. Hope you were able to sell it. Will have to make a trip back to Oregon when weather warms up a little bit.

20. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:54 PM
    klhbeetle

klhbeetle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Sport

Products Discussed in

To Top