1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Install

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by thai fyter, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Apr 23, 2010 at 9:01 PM
    thai fyter

thai fyter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hey guys, just got a new double din head unit with steering wheel control harness. I got a quote from Car Toys for $150 to install just the head unit. No new wiring needed, no new bracket needed, just the hookup and parking brake bypass. I will be providing the Metra dash kit. It is non JBL so they won't have to bypass the factory amp (correct me if I'm wrong here) does that price seem high? I just don't want to pay for an overpriced install if I don't have too. Thanks for any help!

(I know I could do it myself but don't want to F anything up, so I figure I will pay and someone else can be responsible!)

2. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:36 PM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    HU install should run about $85-$100. That seems a bit high. I would ask why.

3. Apr 24, 2010 at 7:47 PM
    TorenApart

TorenApart Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 Double Cab SR5 TRD Sport
    Toytec Ultimate Lift Kit, OME Nitrocharger shocks and Dakar leafs, Total Chaos UCA's, 18'' Black XD Monster, 285/60R18 Cooper Zeon LTZ, Leer shell, OEM Skid Plate, Weather Tech Floor Mats, Lund Tonneau, Custom 2-tone gray leather, Aero Turbine 2525 muffler with AR25 resonator, Aero Turbine Exhaust Tip, Mr. Marv subwoofer enclosure w/ 2 JL 10W3v2's, AFE Pro Dry S, Eclipse AVN-6620, Pioneer PRS-D2100T, Hybrid Audio Clarus 6.5'' Front Components, Black Headlight Mod, Tinted tail lights, PL5300 with Eclipse BEC-109
    Does the HU have navigation? If not, then that may be a little high... Generally any audio shop that will install the parking brake bypass is pretty shady... I would look elsewhere.

Best Buy quoted me $250 to install my Ecplipse AVN 6620 that was 100% plug and play. For me to do it, total install = <2 hours with navigation, bypass, and iPod adapter.

Honestly, just do it yourself. You will be glad you did.

4. Apr 24, 2010 at 9:19 PM
    StZu

StZu Where the White Women At?

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Dallas Texas
    Vehicle:
    18 Super White TRD Offroad
    Level 8 Wheels, Bilstien/Eibach lift, 2" aal, blacked out rear bumper, AC drain hose relocation, sound deadening 4 doors and back wall, amp/speaker upgrade, 10" daytona sub, LED interior lights.
    Do it yourself and save 150.00. it isn't that hard just take your time.

5. Apr 25, 2010 at 3:26 PM
    thai fyter

thai fyter [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    OK, so I ended up knowing one of the installers from awhile back. Turns out he used to have a Tacoma just like mine, weird coincidence. Anyway, got the install done today, took 45 minutes. Install, harness and Metra kit.........$54.07, WOOT! It really does pay to know people. Oh, and the unit is f'ing awesome!

Products Discussed in

To Top