1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Job Starts Tomorrow! Long Flight Tips?

Discussion in 'Jobs & Careers' started by GWL, May 31, 2011.

1. May 31, 2011 at 2:22 PM
    GWL

GWL [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Cole Harbour N.S.
    Vehicle:
    98 4runner 5speed 4x4 :)
    Hey everyone,

Any tips for the long flights? I was lucky enough to get a camp job in Alberta for high pressure pipe welding and I live in N.S. I Leave tomorrow morning and after 6 stops picking up other people I get there 12 hours later :(. My shift is 13 on 8 off so I get do that flight every two weeks.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

2. Jun 5, 2011 at 2:50 AM
    Hardscrabble

Hardscrabble Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    McDonough, GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘20 Sport M/T AC 4WD & '15 TRDOR DCSB 4WD
    A little of this and a little of that.
    Congrats on the new job. Good luck.

I make a couple of international flights each month for my job. I like to have my MP3, a book, a magazine or two, and I also have my laptop. I don't have a Kindle, Nook, or Ipad type gizmo, but people seem to like those also.

Try to drink plenty of water during the flight. Get up often and stretch the best you can to prevent cramps.

Sign up for the airlines frequent flier program. The points add up faster than you'd think.

I always keep a toothbrush and paste in my carry on bag. Also a change of shorts and socks.

You'll figure out what works best for you pretty quick. Enjoy.

3. Jun 5, 2011 at 3:36 AM
    BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO

BEEFY_CHEESY_TACO DUDE MAN BRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Hot Carl!!!
    Roy UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD-Off Road TACO Extra value package
    Icon Ext Travel w/ Resi Front and rear, Dakar leaf springs, total chaos UCA's, color matched rear bumper, color matched satoshi grille with black chrome TRD emblem, konig countersteer offroads (black) w/ 285/75 Duratracs, sockmonkey Trailiens 3rd tail light cover, Tacomaworld.com sticker (made by me), debadged all around, Relentless Front Bumper, Sliders, Rear bumper, and bed bars with Yakima rack w/ full size spare, shovel, hi-lift
    ipod, and netbook with an external hard drive filled with movies and shows is what i use during my deployments. also tylenol PM helps too...and take snacks cause I know I hate airline food.

edit: also an extra change of clothes and a toothbrush/tooth paste is a very good thing to have in your carry on...ya never know where you might get stuck and for how long.

4. Jun 5, 2011 at 4:31 AM
    astral

astral On my second taco now....

Member:
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2011 TX PRO
    kindle and sleep is all I need.

5. Jun 5, 2011 at 4:34 AM
    alexander323bc

alexander323bc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Buffalo New York
    Vehicle:
    4cyl access cab
    Since your on a Canadian flight and can probably get away with anything become part of the mile high club. I cant think of anything better to do on a long flight. Girls like men drink at airports before long flights start at the bar and carry it over to the plane. If your game is solid you wont have any problems. I really miss international flights :(

6. Jun 5, 2011 at 4:42 AM
    toughtaco

toughtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    05 tacoma dbl cab short bed
    TRD CAI, MBRP dual exhaust, PIAA headlights and driving lights, 5% limo tint, 3 inch Skyjacker lift , AFE throttle body spacer, 285/70/17 BF Goodright AT TA KO, Grillcraft MX with PIAA's behind the grill, anytime fog light mod, reverse camera anytime mod, and PIAA fog lights on the rear bumper anytime mod light bar behind back window with truck lights for reverse assistance, Optima Red Top Battery, Onza 3x5" LEd reverse lights attached to light bar behind cab
    Sound deadening headphones I have the Bose QC15's not trying to make it sound like an ad for that particular product.... but they are the best headphones out there. I mix that up with my laptop or ipod and I am good.... plus they will enable you to listen to the inflight movie too....

7. Jun 5, 2011 at 9:22 PM
    pcledrew

pcledrew Well-Known Member

Member:
    BC
    Vehicle:
    '17 TRD Sport DCLB
    You have the worst understanding of luck.

Just kidding, congrats on the job, what site are you on? I've probably been there, or am there, depending. As for the flights? I did some trans-pacifics before, 13+ hours each way. Three things to remember:
    1. Take the time to improve yourself: read, do puzzles, take trivia tests, etc., then again, if you're a welder, reading is a puzzle in and of itself. [too far? sorry, it had to be done ;) ]
    2. Move: keep your blood flowing. Get and walk to the bathroom even if you don't need to.
    3. Drink water: this will help with #2. or, #1, depending on what we're talking about.

8. Jun 5, 2011 at 9:33 PM
    mjohn617

mjohn617 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Petaluma, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 DC TRD sprt silver
    Haha...not doing it...can't make me!
    Excercise...routinely of course, not on the flight. That helps me a lot, and managing my coffee.

Unfortunately I don't have the advantage of planning, they just call me and tell me to get on a plane within 2 hours...then I'm stuck somewhere for the next 3-6 months.

9. Jun 6, 2011 at 5:01 AM
    o5iiawah

o5iiawah Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Philly 'burbs, PA
    Vehicle:
    '11 4x2 access cab 2.7l
    Laying pipe, then welding pipe. I like where your head is at.

10. Jun 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM
    GWL

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Cole Harbour N.S.
    Vehicle:
    Did the mile high last year on a trip to florida :D And unfortunately no drinks for 2 weeks till i get back home, dry camp and we do breathalyzer before we get on the plane lol

11. Jun 6, 2011 at 6:15 PM
    GWL

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Cole Harbour N.S.
    Vehicle:
    thanks for the advice, on the kearl oil sands site

12. Jun 6, 2011 at 6:24 PM
    rleeharris

rleeharris "Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '11 Tundra Crew Max TRD Off Road
    I agree with posters above. I used to rack up 250K miles a year. Here's a few tips:

1. Hydrate well: before (days before too), during, and after flight. Always buy a bottle of water once you get through security. No matter how long your flight is, if there is bad turbulence, the pilot will order the flight crew to remain seated and that could be a long time before that drink cart makes it way around.
    2. Pack snacks... never know when the plane will be delayed (on tarmac), or diverted.
    3. Stay off junk food (empty calorie types)... spend the extra money on fruits/nuts, etc, if you find yourself in need of something in the airport.
    4. Get up and stretch often, especially your legs/feet. Keep yourself in shape... it helps with long flights.
    5. Wear loose fitting clothes, slip on shoes (like Crocs... they may look stupid but are perfect for long flights)
    6. Pack at least a change of clothes in a carry on, especially underwear. A great brand is Ex Officio... $25 a pair but they are the most comfortable and made for endurance travel.
    7. Pack small toiletry items (TSA-approved containers)
    8. Pack a roll-up, quality pillow. REI sells some nice ones.
    9. Baby wipes... buy 'em, pack 'em, use 'em. Trust me.
    10. Luggage: Don't buy a black suitcase. Everyone has one, therefore making yours tough to distinguish among hundreds of others. Get something that will stand out so you can spot it right away and get the hell out of the airport faster.
    11. One more: Use a site like SEATGURU.COM to look at the seat you are assigned and it will tell you if there any problems with it on a specific type of aircraft. For example, if your seat happens to not recline or some bullshit like that.

Good luck... sounds like a great new adventure for you.

13. Jun 6, 2011 at 6:41 PM
    GWL

Member:
    First Name:
    justin
    Cole Harbour N.S.
    Vehicle:
    ^ thanks for the tips. I wish i could use # 11, i'm on a charter plane all the time so no assigned seats

14. Jun 7, 2011 at 1:11 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
To Top