1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New L(er)RR Tire Advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jvand678, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Oct 16, 2010 at 8:59 AM
    jvand678

jvand678 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lubbock, TX
    Vehicle:
    '12 Dbl CabTRD Sport 4x4 Black
    Westin Nerf bars, full window tint, redline hood struts, Icon Coilovers, Wheeler Add a Leaf 3 pack (on its way)
    Hi all,

sorry it's been a million years since I've posted but I'm back and needing advice again. Go figure.... So my job requires a 110 mile round trip daily commute and like everyone else, money actually is kind of a big deal. When I started with my mods, performance and mileage were my number one priority. I jumped on with a CAI, exhaust, and a chip. Then, I got tired of looking all stock and bit the bullet on some race runners, deavers, 18"moto metals and 285/60 Terra Grapplers. Yah, I know, kind of counter productive.... Anyway, I'm about 6000 miles out from having to buy new tires and after having the Nittos, I don't want to go there again for the following reasons:

1. Dropped fuel economy with wheels and tires alone from avg 20.2 (22.8 personal best) to 16.1 avg (17.8 personal best)

2. They always had a wreck of a time balancing them.

However, Nittos look amazing mounted and were exactly the look I wanted. Is there anything out there that still have a fairly hard compound with a decent a/t tread pattern, plenty of meat, and a lower rolling resistance that might make my wallet a little happier at the pump, and a little bit of cool sidewall action going on?

I've always been a Michelin man but I just don't know if I can do that to the look of my Taco... I've checked out the Yokohama Geolander A/T and my father n law is really a fan of the Pirelli Scorpions. I live in the south practically in the desert so snow and rain aren't something I usually have to contend with but it would be nice to tackle it when I need to.

thanks in advance,

Joe

2. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:07 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    just a quick question....what "chip" are you referring to?

3. Oct 16, 2010 at 9:32 AM
    JMan551

JMan551 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Ferndale, WA
    Vehicle:
    '10 Access Cab TRD Sport
    TRD Skid Plate, Toyota Hood Protector, Magnaflow Exhaust, AFE Intake, Badgless
    subscribed...I need both the tire knowledge as well as knowledge of the chip. I come from the VW world...if you don't chip your car, it sucks! Chips usually netted better MPG and in some cases a whole lot more power (especially for the turbo engines). I can't seem to find much of any information about tuning the Toyotas.

JER

4. Oct 16, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L

that's because traditional chips do not work with these. for power gains, you would need to look at the URD, APR X-1, or Unichip devices, but unichip has had bad reviews on here

5. Oct 16, 2010 at 10:44 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    As far as I recall, chips just cause your truck to run in an open loop which destroys your fuel mileage, and will eventually cause a CEL. You can have the same effect on your truck without the CEL by slamming the skinny pedal to the fire wall.

6. Oct 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM
    jvand678

Member:
    Lubbock, TX
    Vehicle:
    Westin Nerf bars, full window tint, redline hood struts, Icon Coilovers, Wheeler Add a Leaf 3 pack (on its way)
    I am using the Unichip. I haven't dyno'd or anything but the increase in power is noticeable and there were definite mileage gains. Nothing substantial like you'd get out of a diesel with a bully dog system or a six gun, but it's not bad.

7. Oct 16, 2010 at 11:22 AM
    carolinatlc

carolinatlc Member

Member:
    NC
    I have a set of Michelin LTX A/T 2 and they have been great tires. I have about 70k miles on them right now and I'm sure I can get another 15-20k out of them. I do 70% highway or back country road driving and not much stop and go.

8. Oct 16, 2010 at 11:50 AM
    The_Hodge

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    are you also calculating the difference in the ODO being off from the larger tires?

9. Oct 17, 2010 at 6:49 PM
    jvand678

Member:
    Lubbock, TX
    Vehicle:
    I did allow for the change in mileage. It should only yield about 9 extra miles per tank with the tire size change....

10. Oct 17, 2010 at 7:08 PM
    tuckr2

tuckr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Washington State
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver dbl cab LB 4x4 It's Purdy too!
    LT265/70/17 BFG A/T's, Disabled Seat Belt Buzzer, Black and Gray Covercraft Seat Covers front and rear, Matching SnugTop Supersport Canopy, undercoat, bed mat, window vent shades. Black Weathertech Liners. Trans TSB, Rear Spring TSB Installed.
    Had the Geolander A/T-S on my last truck (F150 supercrew). I loved the tire. Nice quiet road tire with a lot of great all terrain characteristics. Handled the wet and black ice roads of the Northwest. A fairly light tire that does a respectable job offroading in light mud or snow. Tires have a decent amount of tread and had a pretty good life. Had about 40k on mine when I sold the truck and they would easily lasted another 10-20k.
    Prices were pretty decent, Discount Tire matched The Tire Racks price. Currently running 265/70/17 BFG AT's on my Taco now. Wish I had gone with the Geolanders for my particular style of driving.

Products Discussed in

To Top